PDA

View Full Version : 400EX won't start

Chillyboarder
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Well I just bought my first quad a week before christmas. It was about -40 celsius outside that night and the guy started it up on the booster in his garage.
Brought it home, wasn't able to start it, didn't have a booster or battery charger, and it really needs that extra boost.

3 weeks after I buy it I go to my dad's and we boost it from a truck, started up right away. (was very happy)

We then changed the oil, oil filter, and spark plug. I went back home, and I rode it for about 4-5 days. The next day I go to start it, it starts up and die's INSTANTLY, sputtering, it wouldn't keep on for half a second, it did that each time I tried. So I gave up and put it back in the shed.

Now it won't even start up, I'm wondering what could be my problem.

I live in Ontario Canada and I keep it in a cold shed, though that didn't seem to affect it much when I was able to ride it. It was colder when I bought it then it is now, by far.

Also, on my carb, the side of the choke there are two tiny rubbery hoses that come out, and seem to splice together, then that hose runs over the white plastic tubing.( White plastic tubing seems to run to the airbox)
The hose comes out on the other side, and I see the tip and all, it's just hanging there, open.
Any idea what that is?

Here is the picture of that hose, sorry it's blurry, new camera and can't figure out how to make it clearer yet. (It's not the mp's, is a good camera.)

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2263/20080218quadairfilter00xl9.jpg

Also when I drain my gas I was showed a screw on the carb, next to the choke, and that should release the gas a guy said. Where does the gas come out?
On the bottom of the carb there is a 17mm bolt, what is it?

I am 17 and as this being my first quad I am limited in this field of knowledge.

Ask as many questions as you want and leave all feedback.

All opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hans

CSR400EX
02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
is the bike stock?? kinda sounds like you have a aftermarket CDI box making it hard to start.

Chillyboarder
02-19-2008, 07:56 AM
All stock I think besides new handle bar and k&n.

CDI box, what is that exactly, another person suggested to me that also. I use a booster, so no matter what it turns alot faster then just the battery.

CSR400EX
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
it makes sense, some aftermarket CDI boxes require a fully charged battery just to turn it over fast enough to fire. i remember my Sparks CDI, i had to jump it off of another quad to get it to start.

the CDI box is on the left side if you are standing in front of it. its right under the nose on the left side, its a little black box with 2 plugs going into it.

Chillyboarder
02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Ok well I talked with the previous owner, he said the owner previous to him could of done alot to it. Though the bike started when I bought it in the cold or anything, so I doubt it's the CDI.

Could it be dirt in carb? Even though winter? Or possibly any bit of water or ice?

CSR400EX
02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
you could try a 42 pilot. that might help it start easier. can you pump the throttle and it will start????

Chillyboarder
02-20-2008, 03:33 PM
If you read my first post it says I can not start it at all. Choke or pumping throttle does jackall. I use booster also and it gives much faster turning.

Had thought it was maybe plug fouled/not sparking but it started and sputtered out that one day. So as if it wasn't getting continuous gas to it.

Draining the gas takes long enough, 'bout 5 hours?

AutoRoc
02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
My dad's suggestuon every time something won't start...

"spray some gas into the carb and/while turning it over."

It will tell if it's a carb/fuel problem for sure. Last time I had issues we did this and it ran when we sprayed fuel in it. Took the carb apart and the main jet was plugged 100% with some gunk. Sprayed it all out after removing both jets,and then it ran like a beast after that. His tip saved the weekend this time. It would sputter but not run.

It needs fuel and spark to run! Find out what it's not getting.

Goodluck!

And if it's honestly COLD COLD...maybe you have water frozen somewhere in a line.

minichopper214
02-21-2008, 06:30 PM
did u ever think about the gas being bad cause my old grizzly had bad gas in it and it did the same the it started then bogged and shut off try new gas idk?

CSR400EX
02-21-2008, 08:20 PM
have you tried putting the gas valve to reserve?? just trying to weigh out possibilities. besides that, clean your carb out and the air filter, and if it still doesnt run. could be something more serious!!!

Scott-300ex
02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Sounds like you ran out of gas since it was sputtering then it wouldn't start. Maybe you should have put it on reserve.

I'd put it back together then fill up the tank and add STABIL and let her rip!

Chillyboarder
02-22-2008, 08:12 AM
What's STABIL? I tried gas line anti-freeze and water eliminator before and they did jackall. Seriously nothing.

Thanks AutoRoc. I'll probably do the carb then first thing when I go to my Dad's sometime.

EDIT: Just went out to try starting it, with the throttle in while pushing starter something is puttering very low. Not sure if maybe it needs faster spin then? Boost from a vehicle?

CSR400EX
02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
id try a new battery too. if it needs a boost just to start it.

Chillyboarder
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Well it's the winter, since it's so cold then it needs that extra boost. Once it warms up it starts fine with the battery by itself.

Just took carb off, looked clean inside, gas cleans it up nice. Only took the plate from underneath though.

Tried starting, charged battery and booster it spun fast but wouldn't start. Thinking now would be spark plug because it's spinning fast as hell.

nickm328
02-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Pull the fuel line off at the carb. and see if you are getting fuel to the carb. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. And that screw is the air/fuel mix screw and the gas will come out the line coming out the bottom of the carb.