PDA

View Full Version : backfireing, popping, boging 450?

redexrider4290
02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
aljright guys so yesterday i go with my buddies to this place called the dust mills to go riding. It's a place where they used to have a slate plant in the quarries around where i live and anyway this place is just huge mounds of slate dust we ride on and around.

well anyway yesterday it was real muddy, i guess from everything being frozen and now defrosting. Well there is this one section that was a straight woops section followed by a jump then another jump and in between the jumps there was a big puddle. well anyway i would hit the 1st jump then pin it through the puddle for the next jump. And everytime i would go through the puddle my bike would like bog down and act weird after.

It was alright at about 1/2-3/4 throttle but when i would crack into it, the bike would just sputter and really hesitate. it would pop and crack and like jerk?

after i rode around a little it was fine and in the woods it was fine but everytime i would hit that puddle it would do it and sometimes it got really bad. like really really bad.

anyone have any ideas what it could be?

redexrider4290
02-18-2008, 10:22 AM
thaks alot for any input

bloodmoney23
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
it is prolly just water or such getting into your airbox which would mess up jetting.

redexrider4290
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
yeah thats what i thought so i pulled my seat off and i have an k&n with outwears and my lid is off and it seemed to be alright. I have never had this happend i mean if i'm in the middle of a muddy race i can't be having this happen and i rode in mud and water before and it has never happend and my bike was pretty messed up for about 10-15 minutes after wards?:confused:

the Z Man
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Check your steering stem for water, if your hose from your tank goes in there it could be sucking water, also clean your filter and make sure it isn't saturated.
You may want to check your electrical connections while your at it.

bloodmoney23
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
so let me get this straight......it runs perfect untill you hit mud and water. Then it bogs for 10-20 min after you hit the water. then it runs perfect again. Its either you are getting water in the airbox or like zman said.....check your electrical. main things i would check if i was you is your grounding point for your coil or your cdi. the water and mud may be shorting something out and causing less of a spark which in turn would cause a rich mixture because it wouldnt be burning all the fuel as fast. If it aint water in the airbox im willing to say it is electrical. but wait till a few more reply that may have had issue.

d3ktrix
02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Also check all the air boots from the air box to the engine for leaks.

While the bikes idling spray water on the air boots and carb area. If the idle changes drastically when u spray an area most likely theres a leak there.

redexrider4290
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
alright thanks i'm gona go over everything and check it out. thanks for the help and if theres any other opinions i would be glad to here them

thanks

wayfastwhitey69
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
mine did the EXACT same thing in the water. Clean the filter drain the gas, drain the carb, and ride it for awhile and it will eventually come out of it. getting the valves adjusted made it come out of it faster i dont know why though.