PDA

View Full Version : Pipe comparisons ?

250Renvy
02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I have a stock machine with stock pipe and 3 different pipes I want to try out: A DG pipe, Paul turner type 6 and FMF fatty.

In order to get an effective comparison will I have to re-jet for each pipe or will it be enough to rejet once for an aftermarket pipe and just swap each one?

Rip_Tear
02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
You may need to rejet after each pipe, it just depends on how different the pipes actually are... Some people use different jets and have the exact same set up so who knows, you'll find out once you install each pipe...

xlr810
02-18-2008, 10:24 AM
You'll need to re-jet for ANY pipe going from the stocker. You might be able to get by without re-jetting between runs on the aftermarket pipes-- maybe.

CorvetteZ06
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
heres a good write up on some of the exhaust you mentioned

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

GT300
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Effective is the key word. In order to get the most accurate comparison you should rejet, but you should still get a feeling of each pipe's power characteristics if you don't.

Be sure to let us know the results.

Will each pipe use its corresponding silencer or will the same silencer be used for each pipe?

86250rrider
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
if you run woods or x/c ...the type6 cant be beat. its like a sore weiner...it just cant be beat !!!!:D

atvmxr
02-21-2008, 05:53 PM
yeah, i would think PT would been much better than the other two...

86250rrider
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
for more of a midrange the 89 race is good,so is ct midrange,old fatty, sparks mx. i still have a sparks mx,89 race ,and type 6 here.:D

Johnny Minehan
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
i have the FMF on my 250r, and my dad has a Paul Turner on his. Riding both, there is a noticable difference.. i can honestly say that i like the Paul Turner better, i was looking into getting one for myself also.

86 Quad R
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Foxracing1762
i have the FMF on my 250r, and my dad has a Paul Turner on his. Riding both, there is a noticable difference.. i can honestly say that i like the Paul Turner better, i was looking into getting one for myself also.

which fmf are you running on your quad?

86250rrider
02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
86 QUAD R SURE LIKES DEM OLE FMF'S ....DONT HE ?:D

02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Paul turner and FMF are very similar in the curves and all.

86250rrider
02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
when you say the paul turner has the same curves...... which pipe are you refering to ? there were 3 different versions. and if your talking about the blow it out the rear shootout.... the type 6 was not in that . i have tried many pipes on mine and prefer the type6 for me. the 89 race wasnt really that awesome . its ok , but so are about 6 other ones. i kinda preferred the ct racing midrange for a overall kinda pipe. it was pretty mean !

86 Quad R
02-25-2008, 04:01 PM
why sure:blah: power they have plenty, the old ones. weak, the new ones. they are. finding a old one in good shape... tuff it is!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/funny-pictures-yoda-kitten.jpg

All250R
02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
when you say the paul turner has the same curves...... which pipe are you refering to ? there were 3 different versions. and if your talking about the blow it out the rear shootout.... the type 6 was not in that . i have tried many pipes on mine and prefer the type6 for me. the 89 race wasnt really that awesome . its ok , but so are about 6 other ones. i kinda preferred the ct racing midrange for a overall kinda pipe. it was pretty mean !
You guys gotta remember that pipes and porting design go hand in hand if you want the most from either. To evaluate a set of pipes means to test it against a particular system design, meaning the rest of the engine. It says this in the article. Think of it has adding a cam but ignoring matching the valves if that helps.

Not to single you out brother. A lot of people forget to think of 2stroke pipes as something substantially more than just a way to direct exhaust.

86250rrider
02-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by All250R
You guys gotta remember that pipes and porting design go hand in hand if you want the most from either. To evaluate a set of pipes means to test it against a particular system design, meaning the rest of the engine. It says this in the article. Think of it has adding a cam but ignoring matching the valves if that helps.

Not to single you out brother. A lot of people forget to think of 2stroke pipes as something substantially more than just a way to direct exhaust.
\

thats true......with my portwork(thanks neil ) that is what worked best for me. but a torque pipe will work well with stock layout also. a rev pipe ...well thats a different story altogether. when i drag fast bikes ...i almost alway pull out ahead only to get passed in the last 20 feet. thats fine ,cause i want the snot out of the corners and around obstacles and right now power for unexpected hills .if i want to rev it out more...i can put the 89 race pipe on it for a little more top end. i personally am a big fan of good porting to make real power.its worth it:macho

ERBE
03-02-2008, 10:50 AM
You all got to remember dyno was on stock cylinder, and also what are you looking for in a pipe, as a dunner, the more torque the better for climbing hills.
That Paul Turner Midrange Pipe was at 55 Torque vs Sparks 52, and the Turner curve was more smoother than a Sparks, the Fatty was a nice all around Tourqe and HP

OK Im looking for a PT midrange Pipe, I was told that the ESR5 was a good pipe looked the same as a Fatty.

ERBE
03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Also remember, these guys only design there pipes they dont make well FMF does, most are sub contracted out to be made, I think Ill contact Shears on Monday to hit him up on a midrange pipe

86250rrider
03-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ERBE
You all got to remember dyno was on stock cylinder, and also what are you looking for in a pipe, as a dunner, the more torque the better for climbing hills.
That Paul Turner Midrange Pipe was at 55 Torque vs Sparks 52, and the Turner curve was more smoother than a Sparks, the Fatty was a nice all around Tourqe and HP

OK Im looking for a PT midrange Pipe, I was told that the ESR5 was a good pipe looked the same as a Fatty.

the paul turner midrange IS the 89 race pipe . at least thats what i thought.

the newer fmf pipes are like tin-foil. the older ones were nice.

Motofool250r
03-02-2008, 11:21 AM
i had an old school fmf on my R and i was not impressed it was like a light switch you rev and it hit like a dump truck

i listened to my buddies that have rode R's since they rolled em off the showroom, that had used all the major brands and paul turner and ESR trx 5 were the most highly rated in our group of 70 people

nice smooth torque curves and smooth powerbands.

j450rking
03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
who is neil on here? i might want him to do some porting for me

86 Quad R
03-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Motofool250r
i had an old school fmf on my R and i was not impressed it was like a light switch you rev and it hit like a dump truck

but was it a old "Fatty" or was it the old plain "Gold Series" there is a world of difference in the two.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by j450rking
who is neil on here? i might want him to do some porting for me
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that would be C-LEIGH RACING

Motofool250r
03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
im thinking it was a gold seris but its been 7 years ago

86 Quad R
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
if using the smaller carb and depending on the reed cage configuration. the "gold series" pipe could have one helluva light switch hit lmao

Motofool250r
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
i was a hardkor fmf guy from my mx racing days on 2 wheelers till i rode that thing with the stock carb and wore out stock reeds and cage. it actually made me not want to ride cause the bike wore me out it was either wide open or bogging