PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the DS 450

Spaceace
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I am by no means a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. However I do enjoy trying to do my own work to my ATV'S. I would never attempt anything major, but rejetting a carb or bleeding the brake lines to remove air bubbles, are certainly in my comfort zone.

My DS450 is not fully broken in yet, so I don't plan on any mods for a few weeks, but I was hoping to get some basic knowledge while I wait. There seems to be a shortage of useful information on this bike at present.

Basically what I am wondering off the bat is:

How would anyone know if cutting the pink wire is the correct tune for an after market exhaust, open airbox, and K&N filter?

Wouldn't different aftermarket exhausts call for different fuel maps?

What about adjustments for altitude?

Is there the equivanent of a fuel mixture screw for slight adjustments?

On my YFZ I used to run a CT Racing pipe where you could add or remove rings to adjust noise levels and air-flow. I believe the Rossier pipe for the DS450 has an similar option. Wouldn't those changes require some change to the fuel mixture? This is important for me because I do ride a mix of regulated, patroled, municipal trails and private trails with no noise restrictions.

I know the power commander isn't out yet. How similar is the Motoworks FMI? How does it work? If it doesn't connect to a laptop or anything how can you see all the data that need to determine what tweeks needs to be made? Does it allow you to save maps and send them to people with the same set-up?

Any other useful information about what it is going to take for your average guy to have a corrently tuned machine?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

nvrpmx
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
The Motoworks FMI plugs into the injector and has a idle,mid range and top end adjustments.How ever it does not have a data screen to watch any wave patterns or read exh. to determine if rich or lean it is all done by ear and test riding. It is very easy to use and works very well.

TheNewn
03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I'll try to answer the questions I can, But i do not have a DS so my knowledge is pretty limited.

From what i know, cutting the pink wire is only good for a removed baffle in the exhaust and the air box lid off. If you put an after market exhaust on to up the flow even more, the race map does not have enough fuel so it will run lean. Or something like that. This is also similar to the LTR450 and the cherry bomb.

If you get an exhaust you need to get an EFI controller to make it work correctly i believe. And if you do get an EFI controler you need to have the pink wire cut because it works off of the race map not the stock one. (Or so i've heard, take it for what its worth).

The EFI will make adjustments for altitude all by itself, no need to mess with anything.

There is no fuel mixture screw to my knowledge on any of the EFI bikes (I'm pretty sure my dads Raptor 700 doesnt.) You will need to fine tune the EFI controler that you buy with the exhaust for these slight adjustments.

You could say for 'optimum' performance you'd need different maps for every after market exhaust. But i dont know if its really needed.

Hope this helps. My limited knowledge.

BSTURDIVANT
03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
The DS race map is for full exhaust, no lid, and most high flow filters. The engine likes any large tube open exhaust! Altitude adjustments are done automatically with sensors such as MAP,and ambient air (in air box) sensors!

ds450
03-14-2008, 07:11 AM
I own a ds450 and I have the pink wire cute, air box lid removed, and the baffel out and the quad runs really rich. But I just ordered a full rossier exhaust. And I work at a can am dealer and we have a dyno so we are going to put my bike on it and see how it runs.

The best way to change the mapping is to buy the Power commander by dynojet but they arnt out yet. With the power commander I can hook it up to the dyno at work and change anything in the mapping to get the most power.

Rossier told me that they leaned the bike out above 8000 rpms, and retarded the timing a bit above 9500 rpms.

Rossier also said the bike dynoed more hp with the seat off so they are saying to cut 1" off the top of the air box lid like some do to the ltr450s to get more air flow with the seat on and they got all the hp back.