PDA

View Full Version : HELP ASAP... Paddle tire size question!!!

imowlawns
02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
This is what I need to know: Is there a difference between running a 20x10x8 and a 21x12x8???? Have a 450r. Cam, pipe, jets, airbox eliminator. Will there be any advantages or disadvantages at all. Or will they perform the same? I know an inch is not much.

havinnoj
02-17-2008, 07:56 PM
The rollout will generally be slightly larger on the taller tire. There is an affect then on your gearing. The taller tire will have more sidewall and reduce your tires from digging into the sand.

What sort of riding do you like in the sand? Doing endless donuts, hillshooting, climbing hills...etc.

I've always liked a 22x11x8 tire for overall dune riding - but thats just me.

imowlawns
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your info..I do a bit of everything whan I ride in the sand. so, I do need an all around good tire. And I hate it when I stop, and my tires spin down in the sand when I take off. So, the taller tire will help that effect? I see alot of the drag race guys with taller tires, I just wanted to make sure that I would not lose the overall rideability with them. And also, If you know. I've always ran skat trak haulers. There is a cheaper version of them called sand haulers. look the exact same to me. Do you know anything about them? They are alot less $$. And I only get to the sand 1-2 times per year.

Grizzly_A
02-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey havinnoj it's good to see another sand guy from Oregon! :)

imowlawns, where did you see the "sand haulers" that aren't skat traks?

havinnoj
02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't know anything about those tires.

An 8" wheel will help with your problems. Some 4 stroke guys seem to like 20" or 21" tires if they are not making a fair amount of additional torque. The added bulk of the 22" tire can slow some down.

What dunes do you ride? Other 4-stroke guys can probably help you out with the paddle count. I've seen 6p gliders to excessively over paddled. I'd think a 7-8 paddle would suit your riding needs.

havinnoj
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
grizzly - pm'd you

Grizzly_A
02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
havinnoj - pm'd you back.
cheers

imowlawns
02-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok, I'm gonna go with them. The sand hauler tires I found at rocky mountain atv. Tires and douglas rim combo for $154. They are 8 paddle, and that is what I always used in the past. Thanks for all your info!! Bye the way, I go to little sahara in Oklahoma. Only 5 1/2 hours away.

Grizzly_A
02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
How do you like little sahara?