View Full Version : The official 2008 Daytona 500 thread

redlineranger
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
well its gettin closer to race time.... hopefully i'll get to see the whole race without the power get knocked out, we got bad weather in the area for quite a while this afternoon:(

but anyways who's your pick?

obviously im goin with my main man Dale Earnhardt Jr.

i think its gonna come down to him and Tony Stewart.

bevel head
02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Kurt Busch, from dead last

trx400EXtreme
02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
i have never been impressed with Jr. until this year. him and hendrick are gonna do greta this year. i would love to see Gordon win it but Jr. is looking stronger than ever.

NPelletier
02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Years ago this year Dale Earnhardt Won his first and last Daytona 500.

7 Years ago Today, Dale Passed away in a crash on the last turn on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.

R.I.P Dale lap \|/:(

i want Jr. to win on the 10th Anniversary of one of his fathers greatest achievements

<DRS>GPF
02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
now that jr. has 2 jam cars to clear a path, theyll likely give the race to him..

redlineranger
02-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
now that jr. has 2 jam cars to clear a path, theyll likely give the race to him..

im pretty sure nobody "gives" anybody the race:rolleyes:

NacsMXer
02-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm rootin for Dale Jr. as well but Johnson and Gordon are my favs too.

Gonna be an awesome race! :macho

redlineranger
02-17-2008, 01:41 PM
well here it is

boogity boogiy boogity ... lets go racing

GREEN FLAG.... NASCAR is back

redlineranger
02-17-2008, 03:06 PM
well this race is turnin into what talladega was last fall... single file around the top the whole race.

so far it blows but there startin to mix it up now, just took it 4 wide:scary:

bevel head
02-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by bevel head
Kurt Busch, from dead last I was close.

RaptorRacer45
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by bevel head
I was close.

Hell Yeah you were......6 outta the top 10 were DODGES!!!!.....EAT SH*T TOYOTA!:D ....Great teamwork by the Penske boys

bevel head
02-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Where were those hendrik cars? half were in the garage hehe

450raider
02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
ok ill tell ya what i was thinkin play by play, firstly i thought it would be cool to see jr win, then johnson got the lead and i started rooting for him, then back to jr near the end, then when he choked in his own typical fashion (like that movie where eminem chokes and wins the big one like 2 weeks later, only its taking jr years, whats the name of that movie..... 8 mile, kinda makes you think huh) anyway then i was rooting for anyone but stewart, so im happy with the outcome.

02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
This is how I wanted the race to end

1)Stewart
2)Busch
3)Jr.

I was saying the whole race even when Stewart was in 20th he is going to win. I was dissapointed in that last turn when i knew he couldnt pull it off but hey it was nice to see something different Ryan Newman winning

redlineranger
02-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
ok ill tell ya what i was thinkin play by play, firstly i thought it would be cool to see jr win, then johnson got the lead and i started rooting for him, then back to jr near the end, then when he choked in his own typical fashion (like that movie where eminem chokes and wins the big one like 2 weeks later, only its taking jr years, whats the name of that movie..... 8 mile, kinda makes you think huh) anyway then i was rooting for anyone but stewart, so im happy with the outcome.

i wouldnt call it that he "choked", its not like he's scripted to win all the plate races. its a chess match like they say and this time he got beat.

i was glad for ryan newman, great seeing penske mixing it up and flexin there power. oh and i might add who ever called on kurt busch to win it you were really damn close lol... he won me 60 dollars tonight. some of my family called me from south alabama and there was just a simple 11 person 5 dollar bet goin on and i was the 12th and final one, and everyone else was took so i said im'a go with ol Kurt Busch. we did it to whoever's guy finished first among the other drivers in the pool gets the money. my mom had Tony Stewart lol, and Kurt passed him in the final 100 yards of the race. gotta love it.

i thought kyle busch had it for sure, hell of a car he had all day long even though they werent doin nothin but running single file. but anyways overall it was a pretty good race.

WhiteZrider
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Atleast it wasn't Stewart

Hondamaster5505
02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I know i'm gonna get bashed for this, but how can you actually get into this Nascar stuff?

It's so... so boring! They go in a oval for a couple hours, whoopdee doo! Like theres no awesome twists and curves, all the cars look the same. I could just never understand it.

At least NHRA is short and sweet. Go down the track at 200mph and your done.

Even f1 and regular car racing has twists and turns.

67mopar
02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
amazing last 40 laps, so many surprising lead changes and people coming from nowhere and suddenly having a chance to win it. happy 2 see gordon and johnson out of it, no tryin to start somethin but i hate the hendrick team and anyone racin toyota. sad for me to see gibbs switchen to toyota even though kyle and stewart gave it a good run.wouldnt of minded seein jr. win because im a earnhardt fan, probably the only chevy i would truly cheer for but i am excstatic that dodges took 6 of the top 8:D if u couldnt tell from the name im a dodge fan and hate ford/chevyand toyota. neways this is goin to be an exciting season. GO DODGE!!!!!!!!!

54warrior
02-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I know i'm gonna get bashed for this, but how can you actually get into this Nascar stuff?

It's so... so boring! They go in a oval for a couple hours, whoopdee doo! Like theres no awesome twists and curves, all the cars look the same. I could just never understand it.

What he said^^^ The races are entirely too long and too dependent upon how fast they can do a pit stop. I'm sorry, but a race shouldn't be won or lost with your pit crew. It should be decided on the track.

chris46250r
02-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
What he said^^^ The races are entirely too long and too dependent upon how fast they can do a pit stop. I'm sorry, but a race shouldn't be won or lost with your pit crew. It should be decided on the track.

All you gotta do is change the channel.

HtFoxChick
02-18-2008, 07:21 AM
I was pullin for Jr. but he had me nervous a few times when he WOULDN'T pit!! Crew chief claimed a lot of chatter, well...ok then.:ermm: I wouldn't say he choked. He had no body up there with him to help, like Newman.

In the end, I was happy Newman won. Did I hear right, does his wife have cancer? She looked like a sweetheart!!!!

02-18-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by 54warrior

Its not about on how fast they can pit... thats just 1 element. Its drivers skill, car handling, drafting, spotters, team work... If you just went to 1 race like Daytona you would say wow! It truly is amazing. Yeah as a kid I grew up seeng my dad watch it and sometimes I would watch it. But when I went to my 1st race and that happened to be Daytona its unbelievable. Its so excited every lap to see what happens and hear the roar coming out of the turn before where you sit. My 1st time at Daytona I got to go in the pits and watch the whole race. During practice I got to sit ON pit wall 20ft from my favorite drivers lining up to practice. Its hard to get into it unless you have seen a race. And I have been to drag racing once and what a bore. Gator Nationals last year yeah it was cool but it aint no NASCAR. It was neat seeing the cars once or twice but over and over just in a straight line for a few seconds. I think it takes less skill to go 300MPH in a straight line for 4 seconds than it does to go 190MPH for 3 and a half hours with someone on your tail, next to you, in front of you, bumping around sliding, dodging crashes....

Hondamaster5505
02-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Its not about on how fast they can pit... thats just 1 element. Its drivers skill, car handling, drafting, spotters, team work... If you just went to 1 race like Daytona you would say wow! It truly is amazing. Yeah as a kid I grew up seeng my dad watch it and sometimes I would watch it. But when I went to my 1st race and that happened to be Daytona its unbelievable. Its so excited every lap to see what happens and hear the roar coming out of the turn before where you sit. My 1st time at Daytona I got to go in the pits and watch the whole race. During practice I got to sit ON pit wall 20ft from my favorite drivers lining up to practice. Its hard to get into it unless you have seen a race. And I have been to drag racing once and what a bore. Gator Nationals last year yeah it was cool but it aint no NASCAR. It was neat seeing the cars once or twice but over and over just in a straight line for a few seconds. I think it takes less skill to go 300MPH in a straight line for 4 seconds than it does to go 190MPH for 3 and a half hours with someone on your tail, next to you, in front of you, bumping around sliding, dodging crashes....

I have been to one before. I live right around the corner from the Pocono speedway.

It just doesn't give that thrill that I get from watching drag racing, or something along those lines. I almost fell asleep in the stands.

54warrior
02-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Dirt's for racin', asphalt's for getting there!

mxdad
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I have been to one before. I live right around the corner from the Pocono speedway.

It just doesn't give that thrill that I get from watching drag racing, or something along those lines. I almost fell asleep in the stands.

Different strokes for different folks...

I have been to both and enjoy both.

I haven't heard anyone say it so I guess I will. Am I the only one that thinks Stewart was stupid for cutting to the inside in front of Busch on the last lap? I think Busch had enough of a run to get up next to the 12 & 2 and if Stewart would have stayed high either him or Busch would have won. I personally think he thought Busch was going to pass everyone so he cut in front of him to try to steal the win and it didn't work out as planned? I didn't see Stewart's interview after the race but I could tell listening to Kyle that he thought Stewart should have stayed high and blocked the 12 & 2. Am I wrong??? Do you think they will work well together? Busch had a fantastic car and if it wasn't for those last few cautions I think he would have got back up front and won.

jrwisehart
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I am just glad Tony Stewart did not win.

I lost all respect for him when I found out he was driving a Toyota.

bradley300
02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
did you guys see the same race as i did? i didnt think it was boring at all. there was a top and bottom line most of the race, people blocking trying to be as wide as the track, went 3 and 4 wide, and nearly 70 lead changes. I'm a race fan tho, it seems most NASCAR fans anrent race fans, but crash fans, maybe thats why people thought it was boring

02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by mxdad
Different strokes for different folks...

I have been to both and enjoy both.

I haven't heard anyone say it so I guess I will. Am I the only one that thinks Stewart was stupid for cutting to the inside in front of Busch on the last lap? I think Busch had enough of a run to get up next to the 12 & 2 and if Stewart would have stayed high either him or Busch would have won. I personally think he thought Busch was going to pass everyone so he cut in front of him to try to steal the win and it didn't work out as planned? I didn't see Stewart's interview after the race but I could tell listening to Kyle that he thought Stewart should have stayed high and blocked the 12 & 2. Am I wrong??? Do you think they will work well together? Busch had a fantastic car and if it wasn't for those last few cautions I think he would have got back up front and won.

Yeah I was sure he had it and as soon as I saw him cut I was like "NO! what is he doing he just lost the win!" yeah he was fine where he was and it was good where he was to block the 2 dodges, good race though.

HtFoxChick
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
If push comes to shove, do you think Jr. and Gordon will work well as a team? I don't see it. Hopefully, I will be wrong.

It will get even more interesting when these two go neck and neck!!!

We're all in for an interesting season! :D

redlineranger
02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
did you guys see the same race as i did? i didnt think it was boring at all. there was a top and bottom line most of the race, people blocking trying to be as wide as the track, went 3 and 4 wide, and nearly 70 lead changes. I'm a race fan tho, it seems most NASCAR fans anrent race fans, but crash fans, maybe thats why people thought it was boring

im a die hard NASCAR fan, its the only sport i follow and could talk about it all day long, and IMO it was a very boring race other than the first 40 and the last 40 laps. nothing interesting about running single file around the the rim the time in between that. sorry but those 100 something laps blowed. the 3 and 4 wide at the beginning and the end were exciting but single file sucked just my opinion. they said they wanted it to be 2 and 3 wide the WHOLE race, even some of the drivers said it, but thats not what the first 2 plate races have produced with this new car(look back at the fall Talladega race in 07, i was there, it was exactly like the 500 last night)

mxdad
02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by HtFoxChick
If push comes to shove, do you think Jr. and Gordon will work well as a team? I don't see it. Hopefully, I will be wrong.

It will get even more interesting when these two go neck and neck!!!

We're all in for an interesting season! :D

I was thinking the same exact thing. Johnson maybe but Gordon I doubt.

mxdad
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought it was a great race as well.