PDA

View Full Version : Cody's 2008 GNCC Raptor 250 first ride pics

Pappy
02-17-2008, 09:39 AM
She is almost complete, enough so that busting her cherry was in order for today:p

Pappy
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I will do a full build up thread in the next few days as we finish it up

250x_kyle
02-17-2008, 11:02 AM
they look like fun little bikes. how does it run? throw a 250f motor in that bad boy lol

Pappy
02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
they look like fun little bikes. how does it run? throw a 250f motor in that bad boy lol

1st, the frame would not last more then a ride or two at best

2nd, there isnt a class for him to race in that would allow that set up

and 3rd, he isnt having any problem hanging with and passing 450's now

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/2153930344_ea33fff643_o.jpg

coryatver
02-17-2008, 11:59 AM
the guy on the 450's tranny must be stuck in first:eek2: That picture shows you right there money can't buy you riding skill:o I hope that guy on the 450 doesn't get on here cause thats embarrassing. Even if it is only the second turn of a race

yfzrider45
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Looks done already:p good luck with the build !!

racer36
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I wish they came out with that before I got stuck with a ltz250. Moving to a 400ex this season though. One lucky kid, I wish I was a test rider.

Scars Happen

HtFoxChick
02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Pappy, that picture quality is amazing!!!! It's like you could reach out at touch the quad!! NICE JOB!!!!!:)

NJ450rider
02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
The only thing i dont like is the front bumper. Its a huge eyesore being that it doesnt match anything. PC it black! A good powdercoat will hold up just fine. All my parts on my 400ex and 450r are black and some of them are years old and the PC is still looking good.

Also PC those ITP baja wheels black as well if your gonna use em. I just looks way better IMO.

Other than that the Raptor 250 is a great machine for kids 13 to 15 to race. Its the best thing yamaha has done since the 700r raptor and the rhino.

Cody is gonna do great on that thing no doubt.

Are you worried about it over heating during racing at all? Any plans to upgrade or improve the oil system since its aircooled?

Pappy
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
The only thing i dont like is the front bumper. Its a huge eyesore being that it doesnt match anything. PC it black! A good powdercoat will hold up just fine. All my parts on my 400ex and 450r are black and some of them are years old and the PC is still looking good.

i will have to look into that...lol

Mxjunkie
02-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah Pappy, PC it because when Cody rubs against something while he is racing it'll look like urban camo.. :blah: :chinese:

Pappy
02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
i am sure he means well, however he doesnt know that when a company send syou parts to run you usually run them as they send them.

good thing GYTR sent us both:devil:

NJ450rider
02-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Ahhhh good point pappy yeah i didnt know they were given not bought. Well in that case put the black one on!

Damn UPS jsut showed up but it wasnt for me damnit!

smr
02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Looks good Pappy. Holden will be racing against Cody this year. Our first race will be Washington, Ga.

cletusEX
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
That thing is looking sweet. I'm loving the white frame.:D

NPelletier
02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
looks killer pappy...that cody is a lucky kid....does he still have that 400ex u guys built?

Flyin-Low
02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
That kid is soo lucky.. When I was his age I was bustin' my butt trying to get a decent 400ex 'cause the Foutrax 250 just didn't do it anymore.. He's got everything to ride!

Pappy
02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
That kid is soo lucky.. When I was his age I was bustin' my butt trying to get a decent 400ex 'cause the Foutrax 250 just didn't do it anymore.. He's got everything to ride!

and you think he doesnt work for what he gets?

tp300ex
02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
yea pappy sounds like the dad who makes hes kids work for what they get and from what i have hurd cody does great in school threw out the race series

NJ450rider
02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Im sure he works really hard for what he has no doubt.

Im thinking that maybe some of these other guys or kids or whatever are like me. I wasnt allowed to ride or get anything when i was younger. My dad wanted to buy me a quad when i was like 14 or 15 but my mom always said no. I always wanted to ride growing up. I couldnt afford my own atv till i was 23. Now being 27 i know that if i got an atv back then things would be a whole lot diff now. I wish my mom said yes! haha

Or at least something along those lines. Having parents that are willing to let you ride/race and back you 100% is a huge deal. some people dont get that.

Flyin-Low
02-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
and you think he doesnt work for what he gets?

I never said that.

I believe he does work for it, I'm just saying I had to work really hard for beater 400ex.. I could have never been riding those kind of quads.

Pappy
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
not sure what just happened, but a few posts just disappeared:confused:

any way, thanks nick, you know how much work and time we put into everything we do.

cody says he hopes you will help pit for him this season when you can. he has been pumping weights like crazy to strengthen up from being hurt last season so hopefully this is a much safer and less injured year for him..and me:scary:

firefighterjosh
02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
I never said that.

I believe he does work for it, I'm just saying I had to work really hard for beater 400ex.. I could have never been riding those kind of quads.

I worked really hard for my beater warrior when I was younger. I really wish i could have had a beater 400ex lol.

If you want something bad enough you can get it. Do good in school. Work as much as possible and good things will come.

Be pateince young grasshopper

zukirules
02-18-2008, 08:04 PM
That's one bad lil puppy

wvspeedfreak
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Looks like another nice build Kenny.We wish Cody the best of luck this year.

riderjk_86
02-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
the guy on the 450's tranny must be stuck in first:eek2: That picture shows you right there money can't buy you riding skill:o I hope that guy on the 450 doesn't get on here cause thats embarrassing. Even if it is only the second turn of a race

this is the most ignorant thing of any "atver" that has ever raced could ever say, AND most of all when they them selves know it is turn 2 of a track, because any one of any racing experience of any kind ever... knows that yes, MONEY doesn't bye skill, but YEARS of experince does know that YOU FINISH a race before you beat anyone

so TURN 2 the Yamaha mayhave been ahead, but really, only on the inside of this 450 rider, whom i may add is age 45, not only riding, but competitive in a YOUNG MANS "C" class
and always consistant
and at the end was and did Finish ahead of the Yamaha rider, given even with his Chain problems, fast doesnt win, CONSISTANCY DOES
comment back if you like please,

Pappy
02-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by riderjk_86
this is the most ignorant thing of any "atver" that has ever raced could ever say, AND most of all when they them selves know it is turn 2 of a track, because any one of any racing experience of any kind ever... knows that yes, MONEY doesn't bye skill, but YEARS of experince does know that YOU FINISH a race before you beat anyone

so TURN 2 the Yamaha mayhave been ahead, but really, only on the inside of this 450 rider, whom i may add is age 45, not only riding, but competitive in a YOUNG MANS "C" class
and always consistant
and at the end was and did Finish ahead of the Yamaha rider, given even with his Chain problems, fast doesnt win, CONSISTANCY DOES

i know this was directed at coryatver, but we will be settling the score(a good run with no mechanical issues) soon at a koontz race, so please stop over and say hey! and i will tell cody to take it easy on you:devil: and just for your knowledge, cody is 14 and has no problems telling a 45 year old to MOVE:blah: and for the record, this was our 3rd dnf in 6 years of racing, 2 chain issues and a broken elbow....we hate dnf's

NPelletier
02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
hey pappy, looks to me like you enjoy rebuilding quads, ill tell you what, ill give you my 300ex to build up, and ill just take the 250, and thats only because i spoil you:devil: ;)

Ryan
02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Hows it goin pappy? Thats a sweet lil 250 cody's got!

Pappy
02-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Just for more fuel to the fire, thats 2 300ex's pulling out front proving talent beats power

#161 joshua dains won C class , and went to the front of the finishing order by riding the wheels off his 300ex. (they added the 3 youth riders to c class due to low turn out) dains father is a past winner of the infamous blackwater 100 and if the kid could get some finacial support, would be a household name in no time. trust me, the kid is fast.

Pappy
02-18-2008, 10:07 PM
as far as turn two, the 450 did not get around cody until they hit the first bottleneck. from that point on codys race was over when his chain came off:ermm: and continued to come off lap after lap.

so while it is ignorant for one to assume a rider on a larger displacement quad should be embarrased by being beat or out run by a rider on a smaller cc quad, people had best get used to it. there are several riders under the age of 15 that can run with most A riders and you will get to know them this season and in the seasons to come.

pic exiting turn 2

Pappy
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
dains on the move (yes thats a 450 in the back ground)

i can go at this all night but the point is, rider skill will usually out weigh engine displacement especially at locals where many of the riders know every rock and rut and no field sections dont allow the bigger displacement to come into play.

cody *****es all the time that he can make passes in the woods and gain positions, only to lose it when they hit a field section:p im not sure if im willing to put a ton of cash into the engine to make it hold its own witha 450 wfo across a field:D

btw...walker fowler started on the last row of the 234 entries at round #1 of the gncc's last season (the triton) fowler finished 9th overall out of 234 riders....on a 300ex. just how many 450s got passed in that race...lol
http://www.racer-results.net/results/gncc/2007/overall.asp?e=3&r=1&s=1

coryatver
02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by riderjk_86

and always consistant

hey i am aware you probabley beat him but I am just saying that it is embarrassing to get caught in a photo like that and pappy has used it 3 or 4 times when somebody says how slow the raptor 250 is. I have also been caught in his lense going through a banner at the wisp:p I wasn't questioning your skill as a racer I was just observing the picture and how there is a 450 with full long travel axis shocks and a little raptor 250 and how embarrassing it looks. I can understand how angry you can be because the picture is misleading. Just use it as motivation to make sure that little raptor is buried in your roost next time.

cletusEX
02-19-2008, 01:45 PM
No problem on the pitting for him. I'll be at them all except for FL. My connection was all screwed up last night, I tried to edit and it deleted my post.:p

Pappy
02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
hey i am aware you probabley beat him but I am just saying that it is embarrassing to get caught in a photo like that and pappy has used it 3 or 4 times when somebody says how slow the raptor 250 is. I have also been caught in his lense going through a banner at the wisp:p I wasn't questioning your skill as a racer I was just observing the picture and how there is a 450 with full long travel axis shocks and a little raptor 250 and how embarrassing it looks. I can understand how angry you can be because the picture is misleading. Just use it as motivation to make sure that little raptor is buried in your roost next time.

You DID question his riding skill, and by saying the picture is misleading you are somehow trying to down play the rider again. You seem to be full of assumtions. Try getting to a few races and relearn how it feels, I think keyboard racing has fried your brain. You made a stupid comment, were called on it, so deal with it:p

coryatver
02-19-2008, 02:04 PM
well i didn't mean to question his skill. I apologize for that. I really just felt bad for the guy and I am glad it wasn't me!

Pappy
02-19-2008, 02:18 PM
the picture was used as reference that the 250's and 300's can run with larger quads. no where did i state that he beat that 450 in any race nor was it implied to that picture. you saw an oppertunity to rag on someone and took it. the rest of us that actually race or attend the races know full well the story is more about rider then machine, however you seem to want to degrade a riders ability and use the parts on the larger machine to further add to an embarrassment YOU have...as you have continued to point out as you try your best to back peddle out of an ignorant comment.

and that picture does show that the 250/300 class machine can run with larger machines, wether it be turn two or the last lap as the other photos show. the only one in this thread that has questioned any riders skill is you and the other person has a right to be upset at your comment, if he was upset at my comment then he would have replied to me, however what i posted can not be out of context because no where did i claim he beat that rider! you can look at the results from the GNCC events cody has competed in to see that finishing ahead of the RIDERS on the larger machines can and is done by MANY of the Youth production class which is where my point was taken from.

And since you seem to have checked out that picture from the coverage thread from that race (knowing it was turn 2) you will also not find any bolstering from me about cody beating this or any other rider, so it falls again back to you expressing what you feel is an embarrassing picture, while the rest of it feel its just another shot of real racers doing their thing.

Here is the original post regarding the questioned photo taken from the race coverage thread just so you know what I am saying is correct.

"Cody Hill aboard the Yamaha Raptor 250 goes wheel to wheel through turn two. This would be a hard test on this new machine as the course was brutal."

And this is the qoute from this thread that you some how want everyone to believe means I posted he beat this rider.....

"and 3rd, he isnt having any problem hanging with and passing 450's now"

raptor 250
02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
just bought one of those raptor 250's on friday. and been haven a blast. at 250 lbs. and 6' 3" ive had no problems. of course im still breaking it in.but can tell it'll mve on !

jcv400ex
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I got beat on my Cannondale by a kid on a Mojave on the last lap of a race before. Rider skill plays into racing more than the keyboard racers know...And I was tired as hell! :p

xcracer416
02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
sweet lookin *cough*450 *cough* 250 raptor you have there. I bet he loves that thing. I can vouch for skill over displacement. When i first started racing i was on a 1992 trx 250x with a stock engine that smoked. My mom wouldnt spend the money on anything racing at that time, so i had to mow a few yards to get some entry fee money rake leaves for some gas money. Then after i got like two weeks of work and around $50 cash i was race ready, i hitched a ride from one of my buddys family that raced and gave them usually $15 for gas and the rest was on entry fee. the 40s wasnt out yet, well the cannondales just cam out. all that was on the line was 250r's,4??exs,z4??'s,raptors, you get what im saying. In our series its only a,b,c if you was a youth take your pic on what class you wanted to get run over in. I worked my way up on my first race to second in c class out of about 15 guys. by the end of the season i had 2 wins in c class, and the wore out 250x was still smoking but winning. that goes to show how stock 20hp maybe if was lucky 25hp, was kicking the crap out of the bigger dispplacements. I did get run down in the fields, and straights. I eventually ran it for a few races in b class in that small series, but i graduated myself to a 400ex when my mom finally came around to seeing i had a passion for racing. I didnt get the 400 due to i would beat more guys on it, but because my 250 was to small for me and needed alot of work. To this day even though ive owned/raced every sport quad honda has built i have never had as much fun passing people and beating people on that little 250x. At the end of races people have came to me and asked me what i have done to make it compete like that, i tell them put gas and oil in it. I have never had anyone convinced of that yet. my 2 cents on skill/displacement