PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shocks???

450Honda23
02-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I am considering buying a set of elka shocks. I only have about 500.00 to spend. I would really like a set of shocks that have rezzies but they are a little out of my buget. Unless someone knows where i can get a set. I race harescrambles and I know that you are probably going to say that I should have them but are they really needed. I know that they keep them cooler but it that all they do. I have houser .5 arms. Long travel shocks are for like +2 +4 Arms right? Or would they work for me? My frame is bottoming out a lot thats why i want kne shocks,.. Need some opinions... Thanks

pudamac12
02-17-2008, 09:52 AM
either get your stockers revalved or check out tcs shocks. The basic elka's have no adjustments on them besides preload and are not gonna be as good as something with other adjustments for varying track conditions.

450Honda23
02-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I aldready got my shocks revalved and sprung and everything and they sucks. Derisi Racing did them and he did a good job at it too. Its just bottoming out like the shocks arent stiiff or long enough. Im tired of pissing with them and want something else.

450Honda23
02-17-2008, 10:27 AM
TCS shocks are out of my buget too

dustin_j
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Have you talked to Derisi about redoing them? Most of the people who do shock revalves will help you get the correct setup without charging a whole lot extra.

Long travel shocks are for long travel a-arms. If you look at the pro's bikes the bottom of their shock is mounted lower in the a-arm than stock. You can get all widths of a-arms for standard (stock) travel shocks or long travel.

ben300
02-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 450Honda23
I aldready got my shocks revalved and sprung and everything and they sucks. Derisi Racing did them and he did a good job at it too. Its just bottoming out like the shocks arent stiiff or long enough. Im tired of pissing with them and want something else.

he already got them resprung/revalved....

some ppl just dont like resprung/revalves...give it up...

in the case of $500.00 fronts.....your probalby not gonna find anything with rezzi's for that much...tho dont quote me on this, cause i could possibly be wrong...

try buying a slightly used pair of aftermarkets with rezzi's...you could probalby pick them up for a decent price and tehn have them sent off to gtt or c&d and have them set up for you correctly...

DEVINF450R
02-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Those Elka's SUCK in the worst way possible Elka non-rez < crap

ALAMX37
02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Buy a used set of shocks. You can find almost any brand you want used. If I were you I would either buy used or save my money for a worth while shock.

450Honda23
02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
check out this link and tell me what you think??? for my type of riding. Harecrambles that is...

http://www.danacreechracing.com/categories/products/product-114.html

m.h.s.c.#527
02-18-2008, 12:24 AM
call up elka and ask for john make sure they dont misunderstand you and transfer u to yahn

tell him you race and tell what the problem is hes real good about not pressuring u to buy anything and tell him brad harrell from misouri sent you

450Honda23
02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Well i talked to someone about PEP Shocks and they told me that i should get piggyback instead of remote rezzies because i will loose air flow sinc I do XC racing. Makes sence but am i really going to loose that much air flow???

ALAMX37
02-18-2008, 11:16 AM
No, the piggyback cost 2g. Race series would be a much better shock than the std series elka's.

04TRX400EX
02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
Those Elka's SUCK in the worst way possible Elka non-rez < crap

How do you figure? I run non-reservoir Elka Rec series shocks up front on my 400EX and like them quite a bit. For the price (~ $450) they make a HUGE difference in ride quality and handling over the stockers. Sure they lack the adjustments of Sports/Racing series Elka's or TCS perhaps but if your budget restricts what you can buy, the Elka's are a great choice. Plus, you can always add remote reservoirs with compression adjustment later on.

haworthcw1
03-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Here is the problem when upgrading any shock. It is cheaper in the long run to purchase the shock that you want and not even consider upgrading that same shock. Trust me when I say this. I bought a pair of Elka's compression adjustable only. Then I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade that same shock to the elite set up. It was done and I am dissatisfied with the shock because the shocks cost me 895.00 and then another 870.00 for the Hi/Low Speed Device and a Rebound adjustment to be added. So I have around 1800.00 in a set of front shocks that I could have purchased out right for 1375.00 in the beginning. Elka shocks suck and I will never by another set. If I could sell these pieces of crap I will get something else. Elite Fronts with an Elite rear and linkage. Shoot me some offers.

DEVINF450R
03-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
How do you figure? I run non-reservoir Elka Rec series shocks up front on my 400EX and like them quite a bit. For the price (~ $450) they make a HUGE difference in ride quality and handling over the stockers. Sure they lack the adjustments of Sports/Racing series Elka's or TCS perhaps but if your budget restricts what you can buy, the Elka's are a great choice. Plus, you can always add remote reservoirs with compression adjustment later on.

well I have rode several sets of those shocks and have thought my stock suspension was better... and the owners of those quads agreed. all three of them. and like stated above it costs you way to much to "upgrade" shocks, and they still are not as good as piggybacks. you get what you pay for and you get 2x what you pay for with FOX Floats:rolleyes:

godzilla
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
HI, Im not exactly a newb here as i have been lurking for a while, but with all due respect to those who have negative comments about the Elka stuff, have you maybe contacted them to describe the problem? Have you given them a chance? I mean it is a pretty bold statement to come right out and say a product sucks without offering an explanation.

If your goal is to help someone decide on a suspension setup, dont you think it is a disservice to the person asking for advice to just claim a product sucks without offering an explanation?

Just my .02 worth.

bradley300
03-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 450Honda23

sounds to me like you need to adjust your ride hieght. you didnt take them straight out of the box from derisi and start riding them did you?

DEVINF450R
03-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by godzilla
HI, Im not exactly a newb here as i have been lurking for a while, but with all due respect to those who have negative comments about the Elka stuff, have you maybe contacted them to describe the problem? Have you given them a chance? I mean it is a pretty bold statement to come right out and say a product sucks without offering an explanation.

If your goal is to help someone decide on a suspension setup, dont you think it is a disservice to the person asking for advice to just claim a product sucks without offering an explanation?

Just my .02 worth.

My explanation is that a LARGE percentage have gotten their Elkas and they were not valved correctly. 100% of every person I KNOW has hated the Elka Recreational non rezzie shock, I have rode three different sets (even after Elka redid them), I have talked to suspension techs that sell Elka and they discourage you from buying the Elkas. I have rode a set of Elites on a Honda and they were ok but about as good as my revalves on my stock LTR suspension. The recs that I rode bottomed out everywhere and rode rough, no better than stock suspension. If that is not answering the question of how good are Elka Non-rezzie shocks than I don't know what is.

Save your money and buy some Fox Floats... you can sell them for just about what you bought them for. can't sell the Elka's

godzilla
03-07-2008, 11:40 PM
My explanation is that a LARGE percentage have gotten their Elkas and they were not valved correctly. 100% of every person I KNOW has hated the Elka Recreational non rezzie shock, I have rode three different sets (even after Elka redid them), I have talked to suspension techs that sell Elka and they discourage you from buying the Elkas. I have rode a set of Elites on a Honda and they were ok but about as good as my revalves on my stock LTR suspension. The recs that I rode bottomed out everywhere and rode rough, no better than stock suspension. If that is not answering the question of how good are Elka Non-rezzie shocks than I don't know what is.

Save your money and buy some Fox Floats... you can sell them for just about what you bought them for. can't sell the Elka's

100% of every person you know has hated the Elka non Rezzie shock? Thank god you know whole people, because I would hate to see what 50% of every person you know has to say...but I digress.

Not valved correctly? with all due respect, you are assuming that a large percentage of riders even know what valving is, and better yet, what a good valving should be?

I have been riding for a long, long time...ever since the first three wheelers came out...probably before many of you here were born, and I have seen the evolution of suspension, and let me tell you that the "large percentage" group you talk about haven't the slightest clue to how to set up a suspension correctly. So what do they do? Blame the valving, because its the easy way out. Go out to Glamis on any given weekend and watch these guys riding around with their quads jacked up like dragsters. Its the same guys that blame their bad suspension on valving. You can get ANY shock to work if you have half a clue what you are doing. No shock out of the box will work by simply bolting it on, and if you are expecting miracles from an emulsion style shock like the Elka non Rezzie, or any other company's non rezzie, then you are only fooling yourself.

So now, Fox floats...lets see, I ride desert and dunes up and down the west coast where altitude and temperatures change CONSTANTLY, and you want me to use air shocks? So instead of riding and enjoying myself, I have to stop every hour or so and re-adjust my brilliant Fox Floats that you have recommended...great. Maybe a good product in Delaware, but wrong product for me. The same goes for the flavor of the month shock from Axis. I will stick with a formula that has been proven for 25 years...oil, nitrogen, and a spring...just like Elka's.

DEVINF450R
03-08-2008, 06:25 AM
On your 2-stroke because up until 6-7 yrs ago they were "proven"?? We actually ride arena-cross here and where we pit our bike is 10-20 degrees out and where we race is like 60. Not really a pressure change needed, just set it once. they are like tire pressure, check them once before you ride and you are good to go. they say 30 degree temp change before it affect any valving... we did at least a 40 temp change and were fine with whoops, g-out 75ft catapult triples, and rhythm sections... and it was just my .02, but I am guessing you own a set of these non-rezzie Elkas and are offended b/c someone does not like them. And I guess the 2 diff Elka dealers (one being a long time sponsor) that told me NOT to get them b/c they fade too fast, need reserviced more often, and they had received more complaints on that shock way more than any other didn' t know what they were talking about either..:rolleyes:

godzilla
03-08-2008, 06:42 PM
On your 2-stroke because up until 6-7 yrs ago they were "proven"?? We actually ride arena-cross here and where we pit our bike is 10-20 degrees out and where we race is like 60. Not really a pressure change needed, just set it once. they are like tire pressure, check them once before you ride and you are good to go. they say 30 degree temp change before it affect any valving... we did at least a 40 temp change and were fine with whoops, g-out 75ft catapult triples, and rhythm sections... and it was just my .02, but I am guessing you own a set of these non-rezzie Elkas and are offended b/c someone does not like them. And I guess the 2 diff Elka dealers (one being a long time sponsor) that told me NOT to get them b/c they fade too fast, need reserviced more often, and they had received more complaints on that shock way more than any other didn' t know what they were talking about either..:rolleyes:

LOL!!! You're funny...kinda. :rolleyes:

So, we are on the right track here. You are slowly starting to answer my original question, which was why you think Elka's non rezzies" suck", as you so eloquently put it. Oh, and for the record, I don't ride a 2 stroke, nor do I ride Elka shocks, I am just trying to prove a point, and if I can offer some insight at the same time, then we all win, right?

So, now lets look at the Elka non rezzie. If your dealer claims they fade too fast, we need to then ask in what situation they faded so fast. did you ask why? Well, the non rezzie is basically a straight forward emulsion shock. The most common mistake riders do is that they buy a product which fits their budget rather than what fits their riding needs. I know after market suspension is expensive and not everyone can afford Elka elites, or Fox floats, but if you are going to make such an investment, invest well.

So, take a guy racing WPSA or GNCC , B class for example. He goes out and buys Elka non rezzies for his race quad thinking it will be fine. So, in any given race weekend he goes out and pounds the crap out of the shocks. What do you think will happen to an emulsion shock after such a pounding? You guessed it...it will fade. A non rezzie emulsion shock is not made to be pounded like a PB or RR shock. So, no matter what valving is in the shock, you will not get it to handle the same as a Fox Float or Elka Elite, or whatever alternative is out there.

Bottom line is, the product must suit your needs. If you are just putzing around in back trails going no more than 20 mph, would you need Elka elites or Fox floats? no. again, that type of product doesn't suit that need. It would be overkill.

So, just to make sure we are clear. I did not come to Elka's defense because I use their products, I came to their defense because someone asked for advice on the shocks and all you had to offer was " Elka sucks" with no explanation to your statement. Hardly fair advice. I would have reacted the same way if it was Motowoz or Axis or PEP or whoever. I wanted to prove a point.

Oh, and another thing. Just be careful when you get the advice from a dealer. Their goal is to sell product, and chances are they will push whichever products make them the most margin , or push whichever company that gives him the most free stuff. Their opinion on a product is not always objective.

On a side note, the last time I looked, the top three teams that ran the 2007 Baja 1000 race were running Elka...in extreme weather conditions...and the shocks did not fade. Granted they were not running Elka non rezzies, but they ran the product that suited their needs. I guess Elka is not so bad after all...

No hard feelings, just trying to help.

Happy riding. Keep the rubber side down.

;)

bradley300
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
So, no matter what valving is in the shock, you will not get it to handle the same as a Fox Float or Elka Elite, or whatever alternative is out there.

ive got to disagree with this. if the valving is the same, they will handle the same. the difference is in how long each shock preforms at at its peak. until the non-rez reaches its limit, it wont feel any different than a rez set up

i think you are totally right on people buying shocks by budget and not by need. i'll also go one more and say most peope arent completly honest when they fill out a spec sheet. if people would be more honest and admit they are a C rider and not a B and so forth, i think alot of people would be alot happier with what they get

DEVINF450R
03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I can agree with Godzilla on the 20mph thing... but how many people that do that need an aftermarket shock.. my mistake though, I mostly ride mx so most shocks do fade.

And valving is not valving from shock to shock... the amount of adjustability and how the manufacture separates compression from rebound and high speed from low speed, no expert but I know there are different ways to do it and they work differently

ben300
03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
ive got to disagree with this. if the valving is the same, they will handle the same. the difference is in how long each shock preforms at at its peak. until the non-rez reaches its limit, it wont feel any different than a rez set up

i think you are totally right on people buying shocks by budget and not by need. i'll also go one more and say most peope arent completly honest when they fill out a spec sheet. if people would be more honest and admit they are a C rider and not a B and so forth, i think alot of people would be alot happier with what they get

id like to add to this that people are totally not honest....

lots of ppl will go out and spend teh money on something like teh elkas, to supposidly give them an advantage and make tehm ride better than wut tehy truly can,...so when they go out and dont win, its "oh these shocks suck" or "there junk, dont buy them" and they go andget something else..

when teh honest truth is that they are buying something taht is over their riding capabilities...will all know ppl do it...

i personally dont think elkas suck that bad....alot of ppl who race adn ride around me have tehm, and teh majoriity of them like them...i think alot of ppl just dotn take the proper measures adn fully adjust their suspension.

DEVINF450R
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I agree with you as well, but I do hear of prob 2million times more complaints about Elkas than any other shock... except works

godzilla
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Don't forget, it is not just valving that will decide on how the shocks perform. You are forgeting pistons, the type of oil that is used, and the type of materials that are used. All of these factors have an effect on how a shock works.

Ben300, you indeed have a point. Too many people point to the aftermarket products they purchase as the problem rather than be critical of their own riding capabilities. I have seen guys literally jump 70-80 foot doubles or triples and flat land them, and then they got upset that their shocks bottomed out. :huh

DEVINF450R, it clear to me you dont like Elka, and you are certainly entitled to, but I think you need to pull back a little on the exagerating...2 million times more complaints... :D

dustin_j
03-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I have read (on this site) that Elka doesn't spend as much time setting up their shocks like other shock companies do. This would lead to opinions such as DEVIN450R has heard. Again, this is what I've "heard," but maybe someone could prove or disprove this claim.

ben300
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
godzilla, the problem is that on this site, there is way to much biased towards products because of wut peopel here. instead of going out and making educated opinions on their own, they just hear or read something that is said on here, and its assumed to be set instone..

another big problem is people, not just kids, getting on here and acting like they've been designing suspension for years or are a prefessional at setting them up...

i honestly i think that if that if elka's are as big of pieces of crap as there made to be through this website, then there wouldtn be tons of people buying them.

in regards to the original ts...if your do some seriously aggressive riding....standard elkas with no rezzies, infact standard anything with rezzies is gonna perform to wut you want it to or hold u as well.....stock rebuilds are ok..but i honestly believe that you should just save a little bit more and buy multi-rate, adjustable shock with rezzies.....there are so many differetn brands out there that im sure you could find something that would suit your needs

bradley300
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Don't forget, it is not just valving that will decide on how the shocks perform. You are forgeting pistons, the type of oil that is used, and the type of materials that are used. All of these factors have an effect on how a shock works.

i forgot to inlcude that my statement assumes your using the same brand shocks. within the brand none of the parameters you mentioned would be different so i beleive my statement ould be correct. now comparing one brand of rez shocks to another brand w/o and i agree completly

bradley300
03-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ben300
godzilla, the problem is that on this site, there is way to much biased towards products because of wut peopel here. instead of going out and making educated opinions on their own, they just hear or read something that is said on here, and its assumed to be set instone..

another big problem is people, not just kids, getting on here and acting like they've been designing suspension for years or are a prefessional at setting them up...

i honestly i think that if that if elka's are as big of pieces of crap as there made to be through this website, then there wouldtn be tons of people buying them.

in regards to the original ts...if your do some seriously aggressive riding....standard elkas with no rezzies, infact standard anything with rezzies is gonna perform to wut you want it to or hold u as well.....stock rebuilds are ok..but i honestly believe that you should just save a little bit more and buy multi-rate, adjustable shock with rezzies.....there are so many differetn brands out there that im sure you could find something that would suit your needs

can you explain why they have to be multi rate?

they dont, ive said it a hundred times in other post, the number of springs is nothing but a preference. if its got lots of springs, its go no progression in the vavling, if its got alot of progression in the valving, it will have few springs. the number of springs maans absolutly nothing. i still think you can get just as good of prefromance from a stocker as anything else. ive said it beofre, all you are looking for when building a shocks is a certain curve on the shock dyno. just look at godzilla's parameters he mentioned- along with valving there is piston design, oil used, materials used also he didnt mention amount of nitrogen. all stuff that can be changed with a stock shock as well as any aftermarket

godzilla
03-10-2008, 02:58 PM
can you explain why they have to be multi rate?

they dont, ive said it a hundred times in other post, the number of springs is nothing but a preference. if its got lots of springs, its go no progression in the vavling, if its got alot of progression in the valving, it will have few springs. the number of springs maans absolutly nothing. i still think you can get just as good of prefromance from a stocker as anything else. ive said it beofre, all you are looking for when building a shocks is a certain curve on the shock dyno. just look at godzilla's parameters he mentioned- along with valving there is piston design, oil used, materials used also he didnt mention amount of nitrogen. all stuff that can be changed with a stock shock as well as any aftermarket

Most aftermarket suspension companies use spacers between the springs which can be played with to help with the suspension setup, but you are right. A dyno is used to determine the type of progression a certain valving will give you for a particular application. The problem with the non rezzie shock is that there is no way for you to manipulate that curve with compression or rebound adjustments, so you are limited. With a 2 or 3 way shock, you can manipulate the flow of oil through the valving and pistons to achieve the "curve" you need.

With a stocker, you have to change valves and piston which will change the flow of oil to get it to work better. If not, they are limited in what they can do. The perfect example is guys like GT thunder. He takes a stocker, changes the internals and works miracles with them. He is able to turn garbage into something that works fairly well rather inexpensively until you have the funds to invest in into an aftermarket shock. Dont get me wrong, some people are extremely satisfied with stock rebuilds, but some of the components that will contibute to better performance cannot be changed on the stocker.Things like floating pistons and the shock bodies and shafts themselves are not high quality, as well as the range of adjustment you can achieve is limited.

Ben300, I m not sure if the problem is with people here ( or in general) thinking they know more that the next person, but I think the most common mistake people make is that they think that what will work for their buddies or others on the track, it will work for them. There are some basics that are important when setting up suspension, like ride height or sag, but compression and rebound setting are completely arbitrary. Its trial and error, and there is no secret recipe. Setting up suspension is a art.

godzilla
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I have read (on this site) that Elka doesn't spend as much time setting up their shocks like other shock companies do. This would lead to opinions such as DEVIN450R has heard. Again, this is what I've "heard," but maybe someone could prove or disprove this claim.

I would imagine that would be hard to answer. You would almost have to have a a representative from each company chime in here to tell us how much time they take to set up their shocks, and I kinda doubt they have time to be on internet forums to be able to answer that.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, as long as it is well founded and objective. Some products work well for one person, and not for another, and that is why there are so many suspension companies out there. Different strokes for different folks.