PDA

View Full Version : What would the width be if..........

YLW400
11-18-2002, 12:12 PM
What would my width be with the following setups?

Stock offset wheels with 16" Elka triple rates and +2 Houser arms

Stock offset wheels with 19" Elka triple rates and +3 Houser arms

I want to be as close to 50" without exceeding it. Also, can you buy aftermarket wheels with the stock offset? Say beadlocks maybe. Theoretically you would add a total of +4 and +6 to your stock width, but thats not the case, is it?? Someone give me a hand with this......and if you have pics of either setup, please post some pics if it. This is a decision for me that will have to be made within a couple of months, and I want to make the right decision. Oh and by the way, for those of you who don't know, it's a 400EX and I ride MX.....or try to ride MX

YLW400
11-18-2002, 03:16 PM
bump

QuadTrix6
11-18-2002, 04:52 PM
i believe with 16 inch shocks and +2 housers with stock offset you are at 49 inches. With +3's and 4:1 offset rims you are at 50 inches :square

11-18-2002, 06:09 PM
i would go with plus 2 housers and 16 inch shocks unless u r really serious and have a lot of money

YLW400
11-18-2002, 08:08 PM
They are not a whole heck of alot more money. If I am spending this much money, for an axle, rear shock rebuild, a-arms, and front shocks, I want my shizzy to be hooked up. Thanks for you alls replys..........keep em comin

beerock
11-18-2002, 08:18 PM
I have laeger +2's with 4+1 offset rims and it measures 47 1/2"

I use to run 3+2 rims which makes it 49"

when I switched to 4+1 rims the bike cornered much better

I believe stock offset is 3+2 with 2" being outside. most aftermarket 3+2 rims are flipped and the 3" are on the outside...

if your gonna mostly run mx then go with the +3 arms and 19" shocks IMHO

11-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by beerock
I have laeger +2's with 4+1 offset rims and it measures 47 1/2"

I use to run 3+2 rims which makes it 49"

when I switched to 4+1 rims the bike cornered much better

I believe stock offset is 3+2 with 2" being outside. most aftermarket 3+2 rims are flipped and the 3" are on the outside...

if your gonna mostly run mx then go with the +3 arms and 19" shocks IMHO

how come it cornered better when it was narrower?

11-18-2002, 11:01 PM
With the +1 LT housers its currently 45" (44+ non and 45+ when compressed and a little more when bottomed out).

Now you would think that the +2 would be 2" total wider but I know that the actual width changes are a little diff than the name implies.

Try calling houser for the exact lengths etc.

YLW400
11-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Good thinkin 440! I may just do that.

boogiechile
11-20-2002, 12:28 PM
Quadmx18, The reason it cornered better and probably handles better all around is that the 4+1 rims give the right steering axis inclination (SAI). stock offset is about 4+1 and the spindles are designed to have the right SAI with that offset. What that means is if you drew a line thru the center of the ball joints while looking at them from the frt it should hit the ground at the same place a line drawn straight down thru the center of the rim does. This is why the spindle is made with the top ball joint closer to the frame than the lower joint. If you change the offset off the wheels these two lines no longer intersect at the ground. The more the difference the more the leverage that the tires have against you(the handlebars) when any size bump is hit. Hence more bump steer. Changing from a 4+1 to 3+2 rim adds one inch of leverage to the SAI. A 2+3 rim whch many people use to widen the frt adds two inches of leverage and more bump steer. All a steering damper does is try to compensate for the bump steer by making the leverage push against it. People with wider offset wheels will notice a bigger improvement from a steering damper.

so a 4+1 wheel gets the SAI where it was designed to be with the spindle to give you better contol. This better control can easily overide the advantage of a wider frt for cornering. This is why the ultimate setup is +3 a arms with 4+1 wheels, you get the max width without messing up the SAI with the wrong offset wheel.

I hope this wasn't too long and boring and technical, but you asked the question and I tried to give an answer and keep it as simple as I could.