PDA

View Full Version : Get more HP from your chain!!!

drew416ex
02-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Last week I was at the shop around here where there is a dyno and a guy was there with his stock ex. He was on the dyno with a sniffer getting it jetted dead on. After he did this he did something else. He had two brand new chains. A sealed x-ring, and a non o-ring chain. He put the sealed on on, and ran the dyno, then he lubed the chain and ran again and got nearly .5 hp more. Then he ran the non o-ring and it had about the same hp as the lubed o-ring. Then he ran the non o-ring lubed and got almost a 1 hp gain. I cant remember his hp numbers, thats just what sticks out in my head. Who woulda thought you could get that much just from a lubed chain.

02-16-2008, 11:11 AM
yeah there is more HP out of a different chain but non O-Ring dont last nearly as long and I think you have to keep them oiled more often

400sEXridr
02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
if you think about it, it makes sense. it might be a bit exaggerated, but makes sense. your not technically gaining horsepower, your just not losing as much to friction. engine horsepower and horsepower at the wheels are 2 very different things. even with the non o ring chain lubed he is still not putting all the horsepower to the ground. there is still hp lost in the transmission and in the chain. anywhere there is any type of friction, there is lost horsepower

drew416ex
02-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 400sEXridr
if you think about it, it makes sense. it might be a bit exaggerated, but makes sense. your not technically gaining horsepower, your just not losing as much to friction. engine horsepower and horsepower at the wheels are 2 very different things. even with the non o ring chain lubed he is still not putting all the horsepower to the ground. there is still hp lost in the transmission and in the chain. anywhere there is any type of friction, there is lost horsepower

Thats what I meant. He didnt gain it, just took advantage of whats already there.

drew416ex
02-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
yeah there is more HP out of a different chain but non O-Ring dont last nearly as long and I think you have to keep them oiled more often

I just clean and oil my chain almost after every ride. Ive had o-ring and currently have non o-ring. Ive had the non o-ring for two years and it has no more wear in it than the o-ring did at two years. if you take care of them and oil them regular, they last and they are cheaper.

TRXRacer1
02-16-2008, 01:42 PM
GT Thunder's website has a dyno on this in the archives.