PDA

View Full Version : ? Unlimited budget, L.T. +2 & shocks Dezert ONLY 450r

RvrTricks
02-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking Roll Design. Have no clue heard their pricey... but look darn cool. Have no idea on shocks. Elka Elite, Fox??? Before I order theu will set them up to my weight dezert, right? Back in the day had a 88 trx250r with PEP front and rear. Dayglo Orange seat... thought I was sooo cool. Had some White Storm Trooper piece that covered the light too. FUNNY. I'm 5 11" 190. Live in CA will do District 38, BITD, MORE. This bike will be set-up for Dezert only. I'm leaving this up to you guys.... Hope to get some controversial feedback.
Thanks guys...

ADTR14
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Roll is nice stuff and I've seen quite a few desert bikes running them but i would consider some other companies JB, walsh, ARS-FX, and ATV fourplay. Also Teixeira Tech, they make some nice stuff and their products are proven since im pretty sure they won the 07 BITD championship.
Most people seem to think Motowoz, Pep, axis, or Fox are the way to go, but Elkas can be just as good if they are set up correctly. And yes all the shock companies i know of will take into consideration the type of terrain your riding and your weight. Theres just too many options so just pick a set up and go with it.

02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I say go with a Gibson/Custom Axis setup.

ben300
02-17-2008, 11:24 AM
i'd say go with either the new houser long travel mgc aarms and some fox shocks or atv fourplay mgc gen II aarms, they will over the best ground clearance, which would be great for some of that rough dessert terrain, plus you would still be able to get the long travel set up to be able to handle rough stuff, big hits, ruts, and wut not. for shocks, try the fox's, they would lighten up the front end alot, plust have a ton of adjust ment, which you could use to your advantage depending on wut type of terrain you'll be running that day.

really, you could run any brand of shock, pep, axis, elka, fox,....they'd all pretty much be equal, but if your gonna run terrain like in BITD.....id go for long travel with maximum ground clearance...maybe a little wider than stock.

02-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I say go with a Gibson/Custom Axis setup.

this is the maximum ground clearance setup...

ben300
02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
this is the maximum ground clearance setup...

whoa man, im so sorry, didnt mean to offend you, i was only giving my two cents and a toughtful reason why...

sorry...

and i appologize to gibson for not including them in the mgc list...

02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ben300
whoa man, im so sorry, didnt mean to offend you, i was only giving my two cents and a toughtful reason why...

sorry...

and i appologize to gibson for not including them in the mgc list...

i wasnt saying anything to offend someone. i was just pointing out what the maximum clearance setup would be.

DEVINF450R
02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I thougth gibson was a Gull Wing desing like Lobo's?? Gull wing is not MGC. maybe in the center they can be considered so but the outiside half of the a-arm is vary low to achieve a superior leverage ratio for suspension travel, which is a good thing for MX but I wouldn't think in Desert racing with all the giant rocks. This is in reference to gull wing designs, which I thought Gibson's were.

NacsMXer
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
The whole ground clearance issue isn't as bad as it sounds. It really depends on the type of terrain he's riding. Yeah, in say a XC setup, you would want MGC arms to clear big rocks/roots...etc. Most desert setups are more for long/plush shock travel to soak up hits at high speeds rather than crawling over huge rocks and what not. Again, the terrain is going to be the deciding factor.

That said I don't see a problem with the Roll arms. They have been time tested by pros to be reliable. A taller front tire will give you the added clearance you need.

Look at this Temecula 450r desert quad, it looks like it has plenty of GC for its purpose.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9683/ke2f0390mj6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ben300
02-17-2008, 08:11 PM
The roll a-arms are excellent arms...they're tough..designed right and have been race proven by many of the top pro's....their long travel design is great..

i just figured that for serious desert riding that you'd want a combination of long travel and maximum ground clearance, which i know the fourplay and houser a-arms provide. Some of that desert riding looks rediculously rough, so thats why i figured this. ive never ridden west coast desert, but i live on the east coast and we have some rough stuff out here at times and a-arms with both those qualities are sometimes nice to have..

RvrTricks
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
To EVERYONE, I REALLY appreciate your opinions. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Again, I thank EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD that gave consideration to this thread!
This may sound dumb but... say I go with PEP, AXIS or Elka...(SPRING SHOCK) thay have adjustments (by a switch/knob/twisty) right? The FOX shocks are AIR or NIOTROGEN. --- Spring leave and forget or twist the setting. Air/Nitrogen = look back at notes, check terrian, keep air/nitro with you. Wouldn't the prudent man go with a spring shock? Remember this is DESERT ONLY. BITD, DIST 37,38 maybe score.
Again, sorry to be ignorant regarding arms. I understand Ground Clearance (GC) Walsh clearence is good. How about Roll? I dont need to be on a bike with a high Center Gravity C.G. I don't know why I'm (sort of) stuck on them but if I'm wrong please let me know.

RvrTricks
02-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Forgive my spelling and accuracy, I have a 7 mos. little girl. Not much sleep around here. Our first!! Any input from you guys I really really appreciate.
Thank you so much!!

ben300
02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
the walsh aarms are great aarms, offer alot of travel. ive never heard of anyone using them for desert, but there is probably tons of ppl do. teh roll design arms seem to be used by alot of top pro's, but that could be because of sponsorship....

the rolls look high, but i imagine they're top notch, other wise racers wouldnt have had that much success with them. they have won alot of races.

RvrTricks
02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Thank you. Say I go with Roll. What about shocks?

ben300
02-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by RvrTricks
Thank you. Say I go with Roll. What about shocks?

i personally have alot of experience with pep....they're reallly popular out here where i'm at, adn they're excellent shocks.....if you have an unlimited budget, buy the pep pb1's.....they hae all he adjustability you need, plus they have the zps which i think would still work great for desert racing. call pep or a good pep dealer and have tehm hook you up...contrary to wut alot of ppl believe on here, order teh pep pb1's and they'll help you set them up for you right off the bat pretty darn d...they'll set you back about $2000.00, but its a good investment.

other than peps, you could go with the fox float evol's or the custom axis's....you said something earlier about keeping track of the fox's....which you'll proabably have to check the pressur and wut not, but with any good shock, your gonna wanna check them for maintenence adn servicing...

alot of ppl on here seem to not like teh elka's, but i know some ppl tha have them, and they spent teh money on the good shocks, and they seem to like them just fine...so im sure they'e an excellent shock to have. alot of pro's run them....

i'd say call around to some big time shops on teh est coast, and get some prices and see wut services tehy can offer you with teh shocks, ie set up, revalving, respringign( IF NEEDED), and then make a decision..

honestly too, theres a bunch of different shock and a-arm combos you could do..

ADTR14
02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
You said unlimited budget right!:D Well then here you go:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39939

02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
you could make it like this... or just buy this quad, its for sale. XR650 motor dynoed 75HP

ben300
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
wow...that bike is rediculous.....

I take it its a dual swing arm with two sprockets off each side of the tranny? special transfer case?

i seen in dirt wheels i believe..it was like an old 00 or 01 issue magazine, a guy who made his own custom long travel frames fro desert racing for his banshee and it had like 20" of travel up from

02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
wow...that bike is rediculous.....

I take it its a dual swing arm with two sprockets off each side of the tranny? special transfer case?

i seen in dirt wheels i believe..it was like an old 00 or 01 issue magazine, a guy who made his own custom long travel frames fro desert racing for his banshee and it had like 20" of travel up from

it was built for Enduro's through the Desert. i think its best finsih was 6th.

ADTR14
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Ya you are probly talkin about the Sundahl banshee. The xtravel frames in the link iposted are nearly the same design. Not very good for technical stuff or turns, but great for long whooped out straights.

ben300
02-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ADTR14
Ya you are probly talkin about the Sundahl banshee. The xtravel frames in the link iposted are nearly the same design. Not very good for technical stuff or turns, but great for long whooped out straights.

Ya, it was a bike done by dean sundahl, but i dont believe it was the one you are thinking about...i have that issue lying around summer where.....

the one i was thinking about is just a short one or two paragraph article about a banshee he did, it was yellow...at the time i thought it was crazy....hes banshees are still rediculous..

XtremeChick
02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
The April 2008 issue of ATVSport has a real good write up on the Teixeira Racing Desert quad that won the Vegas to Reno and 2007 Best in the Desert Championship. It has some good pictures of the Teixeira Desert a-arms with Fox Shocks. They also have a linkage out that seams to be working really good without hanging to far down.

NacsMXer
02-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by XtremeChick
The April 2008 issue of ATVSport has a real good write up on the Teixeira Racing Desert quad that won the Vegas to Reno and 2007 Best in the Desert Championship. It has some good pictures of the Teixeira Desert a-arms with Fox Shocks. They also have a linkage out that seams to be working really good without hanging to far down.

Here's a pic of those Teixeira Tech arms...definitely trick

http://www.teixeiratech.com/images/ktm%20a-arms.JPG
http://www.teixeiratech.com/images/Desert%20Front%20End.jpg

XtremeChick
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
These are their newest models for the TRX 450R.

RvrTricks
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. That quad with the dual swing arms looks like a rock crawler, wow!

I forget who mentioned the spec. frame... I'm sticking with the 450r. Thank you though.

It looks like a few of you prefer PEP. That being said, is there a little battle between PEP and Motowoz? If it is, is it camparable to the Ford/Chevy argument?

Is there a majority VOTE to go with a spring style shock rather than air?

I dont mean to be repetitive with my questions just want do do it right the fist time.... and you guys seem to know your stuff.

Thanks-

RvrTricks
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry double post

NacsMXer
02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by RvrTricks
Thank you everyone for your input. That quad with the dual swing arms looks like a rock crawler, wow!

I forget who mentioned the spec. frame... I'm sticking with the 450r. Thank you though.

It looks like a few of you prefer PEP. That being said, is there a little battle between PEP and Motowoz? If it is, is it camparable to the Ford/Chevy argument?

Is there a majority VOTE to go with a spring style shock rather than air?

I dont mean to be repetitive with my questions just want do do it right the fist time.... and you guys seem to know your stuff.

Thanks-

As far as the PEP vs Motowoz deal, it would be similar to the Ford/Chevy argument. Only difference is Motowoz is relatively new company. I've heard nothing but good things the more I hear from those that own them. They have quickly established their standing among the top manufacturers.

PEP has been on the scene for a while now, and has proven themselves to be one the best on the market. I'm on my 2nd set of PEP shocks now and have been nothing but completely satisfied. They're plush yet soak up big hits at the same time. You don't really see too many people running them outside the MX realm however.

The air shocks are also relatively new in the suspension aftermarket for atv's, so generally you don't see the majority of people running them. I've heard they are good as well, with the new Custom Axis air shocks, we will have to be in store for the next hot setup.

WORCSYFZ199
02-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Definitley go with Roll on the Arms, for the Front Shocks I have heard great things about Stadium Suspension, also I was thinking that if the Budget is ulimited check out the Elka Factory Shocks, I know a lot of people don't like the Elka's but I actually liked my Roll/Elka Front end on my Yamaha once I got them revalved and set up for me, but with those Factory Shocks, they come with a profile management program, whatever that means, also you can get them with the titanium springs, the Roll/Factory Elka setup is what the Temecula Pros run in desert and they have had success with it.

Simon MX49
02-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I'd say Walsh/Fox, but I dont know about the ground clearance on the Walsh's. Roll Designs look sweet. I'd say Fox for the shocks, they're about the best thing on the market right now, but the PEP's are great, and the new Ohlins are supposed to be pretty sweet.

WORCSYFZ199
02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't say go with Fox for a couple reasons, 1. I just have not had any luck with my Fox shocks on my LTR, they just never seem to perform how I want no matter what adjustments I make or when I send them in to Fox to get revalved, they just have always been a disappointment, especially when I hear how much everyone else loves theirs. 2. If you're planning on racing desert and those long races say the shock blows out, which can totally happen, with a spring shock it won't have dampening but it will hold the bike up off the ground, if you blow out those air shocks you'll have no spring to ride on and it'd be tough gettng to the next pit, just a thought.

Nevada520
02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Teixeira Tech & Fox..........Ed is a great buy and builds great products.

jandjracing
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
If your budget is not tight, buy both PEP and Motowoz. Then you will be able to decide which you like best. Sell the ones you don't want.