PDA

View Full Version : Increase braking power?

mx4christ
02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
My 450r has Galfer rotors, galfer ss lines, ASV C5 brake lever, special Motul streetbike braking fluid, and galfer pads. Is it possible to gain more braking power? I make up a lot of time by holding the throttle open longer than most into a turn which means I have to brake much harder. I'm very good at this but I brake so hard that my right forearm cramps up and get fatigued much quicker than my left. If there is a way (other than traing my right arm more) to gain more braking power so I dont have to pull so hard on my brake lever please share.

02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I do the same go faster and brake harder in a shorter distance and you save a lot of time. With all of that idk what more there is to do. Are you sure your lines are bled good?

F-16Guy
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
All that stuff doesn't do much good with stock lines. Rubber brake lines expand and don't transfer as much pressure to the calipers, causing a spongy, easy to pull lever. Get a set of stainless steel braided lines and you'll notice a huge difference. I used to be able to pull my lever almost all the way to the bar (yes, it was completely bled). With the new lines, it pulls about half as far as it used to, and the braking action is night-and-day different. That's with all other components being stock.

dustin_j
02-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Actually, F-16, he mentioned he already has stainless steel lines. I think you have the setup for good braking; the only problem you're having is applying the pressure. I don't know if there are levers that change the leverage ratio on the master cylinder or anything, but that'd probably be your only option besides a longer lever or strengthening your arm. I don't know if this helps at all.

NJ450rider
02-16-2008, 07:14 AM
All i have is an ASV c5 lever, streamline ss rotors and EBC race brake pads and i can lock the front end up with one finder. My ss front brakelines are going on this week. Id say try diff brake pads and blead the front again. after that id say its all up to you getting your arms stronger so they fatigue less.