PDA

View Full Version : I Just Removed My Choke, Now I Need Ideas On How To Plug Up That Hole!

Brauap
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes, I just changed my poilet, then my main jet (and they where so easy, I dont even know what I was afraid about!) and I just removed my choke. Now, I just need to know, what I should use to plug up that hole. I need ideas of stuff you have laying around the house, you know?

Thanks!

02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/choke400ex.html

see the green rubber piece? plug it with something to cap it off then put a small clamp or zip tie to make it so no dirt gets in.

07trx400ex
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Braup, did next time you ride, could you see what kind of difference the choke mod makes in performance and also, is it any harder to start especcially in cold weather and if its how much longer does it take, and is the extra performace worth it.

02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Heres a story about my choke being removed. Alright I bought my quad off a guy he said he didnt do anything to the engine, (never thought to ask about the carb) every time I would race other stock 400ex's I would always win. Everyone thought man there has to be something done to that.. nope its all stock. After seeing how people will remove the choke for a gain on forums and stuff I figured hmm I wonder if thats why I don't have a choke lever (I thought the yellow tab broke off) and maybe thats why I am always beating people. I took apart my carb and what do you know he choke plate is gone. That simple mod made me so I would beat a stock 400ex everytime. And its not just me if you want to call me a better racer or anything because if someone would ride mine they would say yours feels faster than mine (theirs being completely stock) and it was. It maybe 1HP maybe not but whatever it is it works and its effective and cheap to do. As for cold starting I had a real problem the 1 night it was about 25F when I went out at 1:00 for some evening drags up the 1 dune on the power lines and everyone with the choke had theirs running while I kept trying to get mine started. i ended up having to run down the street start it quick while it was rolling and let out the clutch and it sputtered and what not but then it went.

07trx400ex
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Ok thanks, it sounds like it would be a great "summer" mod.

Can it be easily reinstalled? Keep in mind that I have never messed with a carb before but I want to gain some experience.

Brauap
02-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I just pluged the hole by wrapping alum. foil around it twice. Useing 3 tie straps and I put electrical tape over that! lol.

Also, Sorry I wont be able to tell you if it made a difference. I have been doing so many mods, exhaust, filter, no lid, ect. I wouldn't know if it did/had any effects that I could feel.

FoxHondaRider, did you have a 42 poilet?

02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Your from Alabama correct? I'm not sure how cold it gets there but if you just pump the throttle and try starting its not bad. Its easier to start with a choke of course but its not really bad unless your below 40 then it gets harder to start. I doubt in Alabama its colder than 40 in the daytime and if it is how often will you really be riding your quad when its that cold?

07trx400ex
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Good Point, the weather is very unpredictable in Alabama. For example, Tuesday it was 72 and Wednesday it was 30. But I will probably not ride too much when it is cold, but it would it would still be nice to start my quad in cold weather.

hemi400ex
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
black elec. tape, strip over to the hole then strips around it to hold it and then a small zip tie around the bottom, works great have no problems with mine

02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
Good Point, the weather is very unpredictable in Alabama. For example, Tuesday it was 72 and Wednesday it was 30. But I will probably not ride too much when it is cold, but it would it would still be nice to start my quad in cold weather.

yeah same here in Florida. The only time its really cold is when big cold fronts come down. Yesterday morning it was 33 out and now i'm in shorts. I dont think you will have a problem with starting, just pump the gas a few times and then a bit of throttle.

416exfreak
02-15-2008, 03:31 PM
I dont have a choke on my 440.

I jump pump the throttle 2 or 3 times and hit the button. When it cranks I giveit just enough gas to keep it running for about 20 seconds and then its good.

I also set my idle up to about 1200. I like a higher idle. Makes it harder to stall in corners.:D

08400EX
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Brauap

Your PM mailbox is FULL, can't reply to your PM.

02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
FoxHondaRider, did you have a 42 poilet?

yes there is a 42 pilot in mine

Brauap
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
Brauap

Your PM mailbox is FULL, can't reply to your PM.

All cleaned out now! Thanks! ;)

F-16Guy
02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Go to your local auto parts store and get a package of assorted rubber vacuum caps. There should be a plug that fits, and it will completely seal the port. Add a zip tie just to make sure it won't come off. It's important that you use something that will seal well, because you don't want dirt and dust making it's way into the top end.

flauge
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Go to your local auto parts store and get a package of assorted rubber vacuum caps. There should be a plug that fits, and it will completely seal the port. Add a zip tie just to make sure it won't come off. It's important that you use something that will seal well, because you don't want dirt and dust making it's way into the top end. Yea, what f-16 said. You can get an assorted pack for cheap..;)

clutch25
02-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I live in ND and learned last winter...choke is no good for cold weather starting...seemed like it would always flood.

So...this is how it gets running with no choke and temps down to
-15F. I did this two weeks ago and the quad had been sitting outside for 2 hours or so.

Pump it 3-4 times to get some gas in the carb, it will fire right up and usually die. This time was particlulary bad as I had to repeat 3 times before it stay running but at least it didn't flood like it would using the choke.

OH2400ex
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Colton do you or anyone have any pics of this mod being done?? I have a slip on, K&N Conical filter and want to remove the choke and jet the carb. Also what jets should i start out with as well for those who have done it??? Does it just onbolt off the carb, no cutting?????