PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to adjust the Valves

hendrixpeej
02-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Just how hard is it o adjust the valves on a Z? i know they are shimmed so its harder than say on a 400ex.. I need to adjust my valves and would like to do it myself.. but dont wanna mess it up.. and to be perfectly honest.. im a little scared of trying since they have to be shimmed and what not.. anybody have any tips or is it honestly just better to take it to a shop.. the suzuki shop where im from said if i brought my z in with no plastics.. they would do it for 60 bucks.. thats counting the price of the shims

cataway
02-15-2008, 03:37 AM
first of all your going to have to get a shim kit, you cant even begin with out that.
and get a shop manual its a step by step on how to

indyZrider
02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
60 bucks is a good price for that if you dont want to do it but the shim kit is 60 bucks and 20 for a manual and youll be set. adjusting the valves isnt hard at all just get over your fear of messing something up. take of the valve cover put the engine and TDC and measure with the feeler guages. if they need adjusted you just have to take out the ACCT, the cams and use a magnet to take the shim buckets off to get to the shims. but your gonna need the the manual to tell you what size you need next. makes it real simple.

hendrixpeej
02-16-2008, 07:02 AM
I knew the shim kit was kinda expensive.. the guy at the suzuki shop is a buddy and if i let them do it he was only gonna charge me for the shims i needed... I gonna get a manual and look at it.. I cant ride for about month due to shoulder surgery anyway.. not like i got crap else todo..lol