PDA

View Full Version : Cheep/Affective ways to Gain some Power?!

Brauap
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I am looking for some cheep but affective ways to gain some power, if that is possible. I love custom stuff. I have a K&N. I have a WB Slip-On. I have a Prefilter Lid. What else could I do/add for some extra power? I am looking for ways to gain some w/o going into the motor AT ALL! Also, I heard if you grind down the welds in the header (which I had also done) supposed to make it flow better.. is that ture? Will I even notice anything?

Thank you!

my88r
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
remove the choke

Brauap
02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
OOhh yea! I forgot about that! Would I notice a difference? And I have a 42 poilet comming.. would it be hard to start, even on a -5 degree day?

Thanks Man!

my88r
02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
i dont think so. just prime it by. opening and closing the throttle a few times before you start it.

Brauap
02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Alright, and it can e reinstalled, if by chance I dont like it, or I have trouble starting it?

CSR400EX
02-15-2008, 12:50 AM
yes it can be re-installed, but i never did. you will notice a better throttle reponse, and a little more snap.

TRXRacer1
02-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
And I have a 42 poilet comming.. would it be hard to start, even on a -5 degree day?

Thanks Man! Extra fuel is a good thing with cold weather starting. ;)

Do the pipe mod, it certainly won't hurt your performance.

imc188222
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I would say that the cheapest and most effective (not the easiest though) way to gain power is to jet you carb correctly for the conditions you are riding in. That is the thing with carbs, everything comes from the factory jetted so it will run ok in most conditions and put out the least emissions. The stoichiometric fuel to air ratio is approximately 14.7:1, this is the ratio at which the fuel burns the "cleanest". Maximum power is achieved at a richer mixture, usually somewhere between 12.5:1 and 13.5:1. My point here is that when the manufacture jets something they are doing it with emissions, not power in mind. There are many variables that affect jetting (air density, volumetric efficiency of the engine) and that means that if you haven't adjusted the jetting of your carb (today lol) then your engine is probably not making all the power that it could be making.

I got a little carried away here I guess, if you have any questions about the terms google them and if thats not enough I will explain.

ThreeDollaBills
02-15-2008, 08:44 AM
If you're wanting to have a little more power you can also jump down a tooth on your front sprocket, but the only disadvantage to that is that your top speed will be lower. Once you jump down in the front you will feel a little more torque when you hit the throttle.

02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
remove the choke, grind the inside welds on the stock headers, theres a few more but i cant remember them

Brauap
02-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
remove the choke, grind the inside welds on the stock headers, theres a few more but i cant remember them

Gind down the welds= Done

Remove the Choke= About to! ;)

Oh and I just got my jets in today! **yes! :macho **

Mercedes
02-15-2008, 09:02 AM
get the Curtis Sparks timming advance key. This will advance you timming 6 degrees, and you will notice it right away.

Its only 19$ from Curtis Sparks and comes with a puller and instructions.

Trust me, I have no engine mods,just the key,the full exhaust,k&N,and havent seen a stock 400ex keep up.

And as you have already been told JETTING must be right.

CarGuy7a
02-15-2008, 06:54 PM
one thing i recently experimented with was i bought a used carb off ebay. took it all apart down to a bare carb body. ground out the W shape inside the carb walls with a pencil grinder and radiused all the sharp edges down. then polished the inside to a semi-mirror finish.

i have it all put back together right now but haven't had a chance to put it on and run it to see if it was worth it. it's been so flippin cold plus my quad has dried mud all over it from last time we rode and i haven't had a chance to spray it off yet.

02-15-2008, 06:57 PM
I think the intake tract is supposed to be roughed up so that there is a good air/fuel mixture

CarGuy7a
02-15-2008, 10:50 PM
I think the intake tract is supposed to be roughed up so that there is a good air/fuel mixture

it actually wasn't rough in the stock state. also then what would be the point of port and polishing the heads. the 3 major things of optimum engine performance is air flow,air flow,and airflow.

i have seen some experimentation with making divits inside the intake ports somewhat like what a golf ball looks like to help atomize the fuel better. i have not seen proven facts that this adds any gains.

Brauap
02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Anyone else?

Here is what I have done now.

ground down the welds in the headers.

got the k&n on.

got the pipe on.

got the jets in.

took the choke out.

dont have an air box lid on.

What else should I do?

NJ450rider
02-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Without going into the motor i think thats about it. You could have gotten a few more ponys putting on an HMF slipon instead of that WB slipon.

Brauap
02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Im not made out of money. :ermm:

02-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Im not made out of money. :ermm:

I got my HMF slip on w/ the quiet core, spark arrestor, and clamps for $135 shipped to my front door. The thing looks brand new!

NJ450rider
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I Paid 180 from HMF to my door. Brand new

TRXRacer1
02-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Im not made out of money. :ermm: Don't worry, you are definitely not losing a few ponies with the WB. Worst case maybe .5-.75 hp. What sprockets and rear tire size are you running?

Brauap
02-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Stock gearing w/ 20-11-9's

Ruby Soho
02-16-2008, 09:04 PM
you can gain a butt load of bottom end with a 14t front sprocket

<DRS>GPF
02-17-2008, 03:31 PM
stickers.. lots of stickers..

02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
stickers.. lots of stickers..

stickers do make you go faster lol <- dont take that seriously its just fun to mess around saying stuff like that

steffen_ex
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
u should buy a rev limiter...that should help a little, or maybe a different coil....

dariusld
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Make sure your throttle opens all the way at full throttle In case you haven't done it yet. Old (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19457)

Brauap
02-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Make sure your throttle opens all the way at full throttle In case you haven't done it yet. Old (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19457)

I have a twist throttle..:ermm:

440challenger
02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
take off your plastics

416exfreak
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Get the hell off of the internet and start riding.

It doesnt matter what mods you have if you never ride.

Improve your skill, you'll be amazed at how fast you can go when your not sitting here on ATVRiders *****ing about how broke you are and trying to sell your old useless stock junk parts.

Geeze man. Get out and get active.:ermm:

Brauap
02-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Would but I can't. I dont live in Flordia, unlike somebody.. lol. Its freezing here, the bike wont start, so I have it in peices, and I am on here trying to figure out how to make it better so when warmer weather comes around. So.. I would if I could, but I cant so I wont.

02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
be a man ride it in the elements lol

AnDy7
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
i dont care how cold it is i ride when ever i can! i just went ice racing last weekend it was a blast! and i wear layers haha

dang400ex
02-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Get the Timing advance key...best and cheapest mod I have done yet besides rejetting!!

Pipeless416
02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
be a man ride it in the elements lol

says the one from florida.. lol ;) but yea, skill will make you so much faster than the .000000000012 hp you'll gain from taking out the choke. charge your battery, and get out there.

416exfreak
02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
says the one from florida.. lol ;) but yea, skill will make you so much faster than the .000000000012 hp you'll gain from taking out the choke. charge your battery, and get out there.

Think it doesnt get cold here too?

Remember, out 25 degree weather feels like your 5 degree weather. We have a humid climate. We all know being wet and cold is worse than being dry and cold.

:p I wish my 440 was bored out to a V8...it might be able to keep me warm by itself if it was....

Pipeless416
02-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Think it doesnt get cold here too?

Remember, out 25 degree weather feels like your 5 degree weather. We have a humid climate. We all know being wet and cold is worse than being dry and cold.

:p I wish my 440 was bored out to a V8...it might be able to keep me warm by itself if it was....

its -25 here! lol but its not that bad, you can't feel anything after 5 minutes :p

my88r
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
get some grip heaters and dress like a eskimo and get out and ride.lol

02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah Florida does get colder than people think and its much colder feeling from all the humidity than most places. I went to Colorado in January and I walked around the town wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a thinner hoodie and I wasnt that cold becauser its a dryer cold. it was 6 degrees out and it didnt feel like it and I was only wearing that. sure I did freeze when i would be outside in the town for a while but it asnt unbearable. Now 20 degrees in Florida feels more like 0 because humity transfers the cold.

Brauap
02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Here in Ohio, it's called the "Armpit of America" for a reason you know, and not only because of the jobs. The weather sucks! One day its nice and 50ish and 2 days later theres 1 foot of snow, then it melts and freezes so theres ice, then it snows on the ice, and it all melts making mud. Its horrible. Trust me, its wet here too. lol.

I just got the exhaust on, and put it all together, and the power is amazing, I think! I have a 1/2 field next to me, and I race the cars up and down the field all day, with the stock exhaust and mods, I would go about half way and half to let off the throttle, but now its incredible! At the end I have to slam on the brakes and let off the throttle just to keep from crashing into the trees, and there is still more top end I can't reach with the length of the field. I am very happy!

It is loud with 12 disks, no lid, and a k&n though.:ermm: , very loud. But, I will get a q-core and see how that works. Right know, It has a perfect range all around. Amazing top end, great mid, and excelent bottom. I am very pleased.

However, I did brake my airbox today, with the battery in it, like you all have told me. :blah:

I stoped to warm up my hands, and turned it off. After I was all warmed up, I went to toutch the plyers on the siliod nipples (My keyswitch broke, so I cant use the starter button, and have to start it like this untill I get a new one. :scary: ) and I saw my silinoid was way up and out of its little "pouch" so I went to go push it down and I saw my airbox resting on the chain and the rotor, lol. (I just jumped it before and landed hard.) So, that was then end of my riding for the day.

And Good news! I got my Outerwares K&N Cover, and my Outerwares airbox lid, I just need to install it into the lid, and I am set!

Thank you and sorry for such a long post!!

Brauap
02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Here in Ohio, it's called the "Armpit of America" for a reason you know, and not only because of the jobs. The weather sucks! One day its nice and 50ish and 2 days later theres 1 foot of snow, then it melts and freezes so theres ice, then it snows on the ice, and it all melts making mud. Its horrible. Trust me, its wet here too. lol.

I just got the exhaust on, and put it all together, and the power is amazing, I think! I have a 1/2 field next to me, and I race the cars up and down the field all day, with the stock exhaust and mods, I would go about half way and half to let off the throttle, but now its incredible! At the end I have to slam on the brakes and let off the throttle just to keep from crashing into the trees, and there is still more top end I can't reach with the length of the field. I am very happy!

It is loud with 12 disks, no lid, and a k&n though.:ermm: , very loud. But, I will get a q-core and see how that works. Right know, It has a perfect range all around. Amazing top end, great mid, and excelent bottom. I am very pleased.

However, I did brake my airbox today, with the battery in it, like you all have told me. :blah:

I stoped to warm up my hands, and turned it off. After I was all warmed up, I went to toutch the plyers on the siliod nipples (My keyswitch broke, so I cant use the starter button, and have to start it like this untill I get a new one. :scary: ) and I saw my silinoid was way up and out of its little "pouch" so I went to go push it down and I saw my airbox resting on the chain and the rotor, lol. (I just jumped it before and landed hard.) So, that was then end of my riding for the day.

And Good news! I got my Outerwares K&N Cover, and my Outerwares airbox lid, I just need to install it into the lid, and I am set!

Thank you and sorry for such a long post!!

lorenjr83
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
what is your guys' humidity percentage in florida? 78% here in minnesota with an air temp of 4*

Brauap,
did you ever find a service manual?

dirtmerchant42
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
nvm

Pipeless416
02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
It is loud with 12 disks, no lid, and a k&n though.:ermm: , very loud. But, I will get a q-core and see how that works.

so take some discs out. thats about as loud as it can be.

my88r
02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
i bought the so called Qcore. its just a tip that makes it even louder. just take some discs out AND LEAVE THE SPARKY DISC ON.:D

X400EX
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
-40 here and still ridin'!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/TRX350/IMG_0438.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/TRX350/IMG_04442.jpg

hornetgod13
02-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by X400EX

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/TRX350/IMG_04442.jpg

It's 82 degrees down here in the Florida Keys. That ramp would last long here. I can't wait to get home and ride.

08trx400ex
02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
ordered the timing advance, a hmf black chrome pipe, bored out the stock header welds, k&n filter and got a 42 pilot and all i need now is the time and guts to pull apart my month old ride. cant w8 to ride it again. any suggestions on how or what else i might need or want to do, i.e. fuel screw adjustment?

hornetgod13
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 08trx400ex
ordered the timing advance, a hmf black chrome pipe, bored out the stock header welds, k&n filter and got a 42 pilot and all i need now is the time and guts to pull apart my month old ride. cant w8 to ride it again. any suggestions on how or what else i might need or want to do, i.e. fuel screw adjustment?

DynoJet makes a "D" shaped fuel screw tool that you will need to adjust the unfriendly fuel screw that the 05' and Newer carbs have. You can call dynojet directly and order it for less than 10 bucks. The part number is DT-008.

Have you changed the main jet yet? Sounds like you'll need to raise it 2 or 3 sizes when you get all those mods done.

Additionally, the 05' and Newer carbs have non-adjustable needles. I went out and bought a 04' needle.

Brauap
02-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i bought the so called Qcore. its just a tip that makes it even louder. just take some discs out AND LEAVE THE SPARKY DISC ON.:D

Its not a tip, its the first disk. Maybe you put it last instead of first?

Brauap
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by lorenjr83 Brauap,
did you ever find a service manual?

I have had one..

Brauap
02-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a question about jetting, yet again. (this is the point where everyone goes :rolleyes: :scary: :tired: )

My dad's buddy is making me a custom aluminum air box for free, (with the batt inside) and I was just wondering if I had to rejet? It is going to be alittle larger than the stock, and have a lid, but it is going to have this: (the prefilter, not all the metal) (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3158539#post3158539) and I will have the prefilter built right in. Would I have to rejet it, again? If I do.. do you think it would be around a 160? I have a 158 now, and its anywhere from 10-40 degrees (f) and during the summer run a 158? Or would I be fine with the 158 still?

Remember I have:
K&N
No Lid (Kind of..)
WB E-Series
No Choke

Thank You and sorry for the contenious long posts!

Brauap
02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by X400EX

I love this picture! How'd you make those jumps?