PDA

View Full Version : '86 250R Help Please

DESDAK4
11-18-2002, 02:10 AM
Alright guys and gals,
My buddy is trying to get ahold of a 1986 250R and I have never owned one, so I was hoping all of you could send your knowledge our way and let us know what to look for and what the good things are.

All inputs would be great.

Thanks in Advance,
Jay
USAF

NTPracing22
11-18-2002, 07:21 AM
well just like any R...or any quad...make sure the case hasn't been cracked by the front sprocket from the chain derailing...they usually weld it back up. make sure it doens't have any leaks either...like the drain bolt, cuz they get stripped a lot.

threre's just a few, i'll write more when i think of em

11-18-2002, 08:08 AM
Check frame for cracks (hard), wiggles the front wheels to see how bearings are, check swingarm for cracks or welds, make sure motor has some good compression, any welds ask em what happened, look at radiator front for any damage, make sure brakes work and clutch grabs, see if you can wiggle the axle to make sure the carrier bearings are tight, tread on tires, see if gas tank is all dirty, make sure it has proper jetting dtereminded by: bogging, takes a while before it gets up to powerband, idles to high, etc. more people will have more, and ask what you need to keep it running in tip top shape also cuz u will have major probs if you dont

Bean
11-18-2002, 04:00 PM
look for rigs, ex: epoxy, zip ties, ducktape, them SOMETIMES mean the quad was flipped, or etc, and it is damaged, check how over all clean the bike is, if it looks good, then it probly is, look at the oil drain bolt for any signs of glue, epoxy, welding, etc, swingarm bearings, see if the swingarm bolt comes out, ride this bike for a while, if he wont let u ride it, figure out why, u cant ride it till u buy it is not what u want to hear

Wired
11-18-2002, 04:09 PM
hey deslacs400ex my brother is selling his 1986 250r. its pretty much decked out and he's looking to get around $4400 or best offer for it. its pretty much mx ready. he's going to be getting a new top end for it(regular mantainance), replacing the clutch disks, and i think he's sending the bottom end off this winter to get checked out and replace anything bad. its, theres a few welds in the frame but they should hold up no problem. if your interested at all pm me :macho

DESDAK4
11-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Well, my buddy won the action on two different 86 250R's and had to decided which one to have shipped to North Dakota and then all the real questions will be headed your way.

Thanks for the help and keep it comming.

Thanks,
Jay
USAF

GetHigh250r
11-18-2002, 07:40 PM
go with overall appearance, dont let him jump into anything, if it looks like it was takin care of and there is no rigs then it probably was. Sometimes you just never know though. I have one for sal that when i bought it it was completely stock, that includes chain brakes tires headlights, everything it is a perfect quad. 4200 with 2000 in aftermarket parts!!!need to sell to get another one

GetHigh250r
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
pic