PDA

View Full Version : 300ex reverse

Honda4life05
02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know how to keep the reverse line alwayz pulled in with being able to take it off the lever?.i already took of the rev limiter on it.

thamks,aaron

300exOH
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
All you need to do is remove the reverse cable and use a zip tie, mechanics wire or even a 2 stroke exhaust spring to hold the lever on the right side of the engine in the reverse position.

Honda4life05
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM
ok thanx ill try that..iunno y honda put that cable there i kno its for safety but how often will you be riding with the quad in nuetral an you acc pull the lever up!!

bwamos
02-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
ok thanx ill try that..iunno y honda put that cable there i kno its for safety but how often will you be riding with the quad in nuetral an you acc pull the lever up!!

Not really for saftey. It's for the lawyers. ;)

JohnT_98300EX
02-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Not really for saftey. It's for the lawyers. ;)

Amen to that!
If we could just make the lawyers go away, forever, we wouldn't have so many foolish problems like that.
I saw a post in the 300ex section that had a piece of chain slipped into the lever, but a zip tie is easier.
Just remember to be IN NEUTRAL when you try to go to reverse. If not it will cost you a lot of money. The noises should be kind of cool though.

300exOH
02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
There is very little risk of damage to the trans with this mod. I have tried to put it in reverse while in a forward gear and the reverse lever won't budge. If you really force it it could tear up something but to accidentally pull the lever won't hurt anything.

John451
02-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey, since you're gettin rid of one of the hassles... why get rid of the semi hassle of pushin a button when you can get rid of the one of havin to let go of the front brake and handle bars to pull it up when the back brake won't do. I know i've defiantly had that problem. I came up with an idea to convert it to a foot pedal. If you do it right like did. It will never get in the way of anythinng or pass the frame so it's protected. All the parts except for the piece of 90degree angle iron I used were stock. Looks great, works great. Painting it with bed liner or strong paint is a great idea. I just took the whole thing off, took the pull lever off, flipped it 90 degrees around, took a piece of angle iron and drilled a hole for the pin. i got it in the wedge of the shaft housing and lever. It works great.

John451
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
If you're really interested in the foot lever conversion I could get better pics and or make some sort of instruction. I would say I could make one but i couldn't guarantee that it would look good. I put the big top holes in for looks and ground down sides/ corners and polished it. But it would work fine with leavin edges sharp (not too safe : \) and would defiantly work without topholes and shiny finish.

300exOH
02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by John451
Hey, since you're gettin rid of one of the hassles... why get rid of the semi hassle of pushin a button when you can get rid of the one of havin to let go of the front brake and handle bars to pull it up when the back brake won't do. I know i've defiantly had that problem. I came up with an idea to convert it to a foot pedal. If you do it right like did. It will never get in the way of anythinng or pass the frame so it's protected. All the parts except for the piece of 90degree angle iron I used were stock. Looks great, works great. Painting it with bed liner or strong paint is a great idea. I just took the whole thing off, took the pull lever off, flipped it 90 degrees around, took a piece of angle iron and drilled a hole for the pin. i got it in the wedge of the shaft housing and lever. It works great.

You can find a reverse shift lever on ebay that is almost exactly like what you made. I have one on my quad and it works great. A search for 300ex reverse should bring it up on ebay.

John451
02-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
You can find a reverse shift lever on ebay that is almost exactly like what you made. I have one on my quad and it works great. A search for 300ex reverse should bring it up on ebay.

AHH!! Jerks took my idea haha. I just saw one. Those look cheapo. It took me 5 mins to get the basic piece done tho. Like 2 more hours to get it to be safe and look good. Haha. Oh well, simple design really... I'm 15 and I thought of it. Well that and I'm Dr. House of mechanics... The guy everyone goes to for rediculous mods.

300exOH
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by John451
AHH!! Jerks took my idea haha. I just saw one. Those look cheapo. It took me 5 mins to get the basic piece done tho. Like 2 more hours to get it to be safe and look good. Haha. Oh well, simple design really... I'm 15 and I thought of it. Well that and I'm Dr. House of mechanics... The guy everyone goes to for rediculous mods.

They may look cheap but it has held up well and it does the job.

Would those tires fall under the ridiculous mods category? LOL

John451
02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
They may look cheap but it has held up well and it does the job.

Would those tires fall under the ridiculous mods category? LOL

Well they're extremely rediculous but I don't really consider it under there because I didnt have to make anything for it. It does haul with those haha. I can still get wheelies outa those 25" tires when I have it race setup for 22's and 20's. But I always have to get people's 4 wheelers wider, taller, and longer. That's my monster wheeler project tho haha. Thing goes in 2' of snow and it just floats ontop.