PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder injuries who's had em/recovery

TRX450RACER174
02-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey guys i injured my shoulder pretty bad in a race on Sat and i am looking at 6 months of recovery and physical therapy, has anyone gone thru a injury like this what can i expect when i come back if i decide to as far as pain/discomfert when i ride, this is a total bummer as my family would like me to quit racing and i'm not ready for that yet any encouraging words would help if anyone has gone thru a injury like this.

klutch
02-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Well... not from racing but i dislocated my shoulder last year and recovered and it hurts sometimes (when i am completely drained) but its normally ok even during some hardcore riding. My dad truly messed up his shoulder years back... took anywhere from a year to like 5 or so to completely heal and even now with too much pressure it pops. But during riding even the most hardcore trails it doesn't bother him at all.

I say you should hold off for a year or so... then hopefully if the injury isn't too bad you should be out and racing again =]

ALAMX37
02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I have torn my labrum (ligament that goes around the cup in your shoulder) on both sides and had surgery on both. 12 week recovery for both, and then 6 weeks rehab.
Every time I ride I know it isn't the same but the pain isn't as bad as post surgery, I mean it hurts but not to the point of not wanting to ride. Trust me on this do exactly what the doctor says, and rehab properly.
I didn't with my first surgery and have started to mess up my right labrum again.
I fractured three discs in my back when I was 14, they told me I would have arthritis when I get older. The back hurts every day, but you have to pay to play.

dudeman_29
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I also torn my labrum (high school football) on my right side and streached my left out. My right should still bothers me after 4 years. I can't sleep on my right side or I can hardly move it the next day. My rehab was done by my mom who is a phsical tharpist. Do what the doc says and work hard at it. I can ride almost every day. Every once in a blue moon it's to painfull. During riding it doesn't both me much. But I also lift every day to keep it strong (rowing does wonders). Just work hard and do what they say. I wish you a quick recovery. KEEP THE QUAD! You gonna race again.

TRX450RACER174
02-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank guys for the words, I have no intentions of giving up my baby i just put all the suspension on and this was the 4th race on it, my doctor said my recovery should be great as i have a no stress job (i work on a computer all day) so this helps, i just hope that it feels ok when i ride or am i going to have that gremlin in the back of my head, and do any of you wear a shoulder brace like the EVS or 661 type i have been looking at those for extra support when the time comes to get back on the horse.

ricksmx865
02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by dudeman_29
I also torn my labrum (high school football) on my right side and streached my left out. My right should still bothers me after 4 years. I can't sleep on my right side or I can hardly move it the next day. My rehab was done by my mom who is a phsical tharpist. Do what the doc says and work hard at it. I can ride almost every day. Every once in a blue moon it's to painfull. During riding it doesn't both me much. But I also lift every day to keep it strong (rowing does wonders). Just work hard and do what they say. I wish you a quick recovery. KEEP THE QUAD! You gonna race again.

basically same situation happend to me...

keep your head up and work hard at the PT

bricks

dudeman_29
02-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I tryed a brace to play ball in and didn't like it. When I woke the moring of our first trip to silver lake of the year last year and couldn't move my right arm much at all I freaked. So I dug my brace out (not sure of the name I will look for it) and took it with me. When we got there I put it on and headed out. I was able to ride the full day but found it restriced me more than I liked. I had to keep it on all fours just couldn't move the quad around much. But it can be done if you need it. I like having a brace around because sometimes like the one I just talked about its a life saver. I would ask the doc which one to get and pick one up great to have when you have plans and your shoulder says no.

JRP
02-14-2008, 10:56 PM
i broke/seperated my shoulder back in august and i can still feel discomfort. Not really when i ride, but wehn i work out and do like shoulder presses, it grinds and throbs pretty bad. It sucked, but its progressively getting better! Just take it easy on the recovery before it gets worse!

derekhonda
02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Shoulders are not something that just heal, it sucks. I have broken, fractured, and disclocated my left one all at different times...don't really know how. It doesnt bother me riding, but like when benching it does, ill never be able to put up numbers as i could before. Take it slow and do what the doctor tells you too.