PDA

View Full Version : Motowoz and PEP PB1

mx4christ
02-14-2008, 04:24 PM
There is a lot of talk about the Motowoz shocks though I have yet to see a pair in person at a D37 Big 6 (California GP series) or the WORCS. Some people are claiming Motowoz are the best shocks around but I am wondering what other suspension manufacturers they have tried to reach this conclusion. I am almost positive I will be buying a set of PEP PB1 fronts ($2,000) and the ZPS rear ($800). Custom Axis is still a slight possible option and so is Motowoz. I am wondering if anyone has compared the Motowoz to a properly set up pair of PEP PB1 or Custom Axis? I am looking for the input of "A" or Pro level racer in either MX or Grand Prix (I race WORCS and ITP Quadcross) that have experience with different suspension manufacturers. Price isn't as much of an issue as finding the best suspension availible. All I have ever ridden is elka but after riding a set of PEP not even tuned to my weight I feel cheated for spending so much money on my inferior Elka suspension.

mxquadracer115
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I currently have PEP PB1 fronts with the dual adjustable rear that i just purchased last year. As an A rider and riding PEPs before I thought they were the best that I could spend my money on. If i were able to get a good price on them i would sell them and switch to Motowoz after riding a bike with them. They were set up for someone who was 25 lb less then me and I could over shoot jumps without a bottoming problem, they were also soaking up all the little stuff. Jim sponsors our series so he is at all of the races helping people out and let me tell you he knows his stuff and builds top of the line shocks that will perform at if not better then most of the shocks that are out there, with a reasonable price tag.

this is just my opnion though

BlaineKaiser450
02-14-2008, 09:29 PM
all i have ridden is Motowoz and Elka. It was like comparing a 50's shocks to a 450's. PEP's Axis and Motowoz are probly all similar so if anything go with motowoz cuz they look sweet!

mx4christ
02-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by mxquadracer115
I currently have PEP PB1 fronts with the dual adjustable rear that i just purchased last year. As an A rider and riding PEPs before I thought they were the best that I could spend my money on. If i were able to get a good price on them i would sell them and switch to Motowoz after riding a bike with them. They were set up for someone who was 25 lb less then me and I could over shoot jumps without a bottoming problem, they were also soaking up all the little stuff. Jim sponsors our series so he is at all of the races helping people out and let me tell you he knows his stuff and builds top of the line shocks that will perform at if not better then most of the shocks that are out there, with a reasonable price tag.

Thanks for the input. Where the bikes the same make and year? Did they have the same swinger and linkage?

z40021
02-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by mxquadracer115

Dont want to jack the thread but just am curiouse, do you race D23 in MN, WI?

mxquadracer115
02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I race the D23 series in MN

My quad has a roll design lobo II front end with a baldwin link the bike that had the motowoz was a suzuki ltr 450 with all stock compnoents

honda250xrider
02-15-2008, 01:46 PM
im still adjusting them i have had these on for a bit now, but ohio weather really isnt the best right now to even try and get these dailed in, for the most part they feel awesome for the little time i have ridden on them. Jim is a very smart guy and will not try and BS you. He is more than willing to go out of his way to help someone out.

pudamac12
02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I have been running the motowoz setups in the d23 for a few years now and they are amazing. I have gotten to know Jim quite well and will not ever think of purchasing another set of shocks. I am so sure of his products I will let anyone ride my quad anytime to get a feel for what they can do.

Brad

mx4christ
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM
I race some D37 (Southern Cali). If these shocks are so awesome why doesn't anyone run them on the west coast circuits? I'm not saying they are not awesome but it blows my mind how some great products never gain popularity because they lack the marketing. Almost everyone runs elka out west except the guys that really know their stuff, elkas can be made into a quality shock but someone like GTT or Noleen has to rework them.

Back to the topic, has anyone, that has experience with different susension and is a top level racer, compared the Motowoz to PEP or Custom Axis? Specifically the PEP PB1? Quality and performance are the issues for me not the huge price difference.

d3ktrix
02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by mx4christ
I race some D37 (Southern Cali). If these shocks are so awesome why doesn't anyone run them on the west coast circuits? I'm not saying they are not awesome but it blows my mind how some great products never gain popularity because they lack the marketing. Almost everyone runs elka out west except the guys that really know their stuff, elkas can be made into a quality shock but someone like GTT or Noleen has to rework them.

Back to the topic, has anyone, that has experience with different susension and is a top level racer, compared the Motowoz to PEP or Custom Axis? Specifically the PEP PB1? Quality and performance are the issues for me not the huge price difference.

Short answer to that is Motowoz is very new company compared to most of the other top shock companies.
And doesn't help their shop burnt down a few years ago.

I've ridden Fox / PEP / Axis / Elka / Ishock / GTT(rear) and I own Motowoz.

Though the Fox I rode were SUPER stiff so that was no type of comparison.

ALAMX37
02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
It doesn;t matter what you have rode, unless you bought a set for your bike,weight, skill, and setup you are comparing apples to oranges. I know none of you have ridden more than two types of shocks on your bikes so stop with your limited knowledge. I will agree Motowoz are very nice and have externally adjustable crossovers which make the most dramatic changes to a shock of any adjustment you can make. Pep has been in the game since the very beginning and I dont ever hear anyone who owns them complain.

d3ktrix
02-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
I know none of you have ridden more than two types of shocks on your bikes so stop with your limited knowledge.

I love it when people say stuff like this :P

mx4christ
02-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
It doesn;t matter what you have rode, unless you bought a set for your bike,weight, skill, and setup you are comparing apples to oranges. I know none of you have ridden more than two types of shocks on your bikes so stop with your limited knowledge. I will agree Motowoz are very nice and have externally adjustable crossovers which make the most dramatic changes to a shock of any adjustment you can make. Pep has been in the game since the very beginning and I dont ever hear anyone who owns them complain.

So the Motowoz has external crossover adjustments and the PEP does not? Is is because of the external crossover adjustments that the Motowoz are able to be dialed in and adjusted easier than others like PEP or Custom Axis?
I am buying a built 450r at Glen Helen nationals with PEP PB1 but I am also thinking of selling my brand new builtt 07 and buying an 05. If anyone might be interested in a 07 with 8 hrs ride time fully gusseted frame, duncan national 470, and over 23k invested I would like $10,000 and it will have brand new plastics and quad tech CF hood.

pudamac12
02-17-2008, 09:50 AM
yeah that is one of the reasons why the motowoz work so good. However it is also due to the internals and how the shocks are built that they work so well. Every click on the adjusters makes a noticeable difference compared to other brands out there. With just a few clicks I can make mine go from pillow soft to rock hard.

Also it is pretty moronic to come on here and say that you "know" everyone has only ridden one shock when you obviously have no clue what others have ridden. Please keep these thoughts and post of a very informative thread.

ALAMX37
02-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes the Motowoz have a wider range of adjustment externally. The crossovers on the PEP's are also adjustable you have to take the springs off to access them though.
PB1's are amazing shocks, give them a try and if you can afford it buy some Motowoz and see which you prefer. I really dont think with all the knowledge Pep has about shock building that Motowoz could be a large amount better, maybe an incremental difference. I personally believe Axis' new air shock will be the best shock available, I have used their shock for many years and many different sets. They get them right the first time everytime and man they do their job very, very well. Also I said most not all of you, you just as I know most of the people on here have only rode one setup for their machine. PEP also has a very good compression adjustment that really makes a difference hence the 8 click setup.

mx4christ
02-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Ok the crossovers are where the spacers between the different spring rates that allow for a progressive feel throughout the uptravel. I am positive I am buying a 450r with PEP PB1 up front and ZPS in the rear but I may put some motowoz on my practice bike.

Is there a place you can go to find out more about the Custom Axis air suspension? For some reason they don't have any info on their website. I am intrigued by the Fox and Axis air shocks but I have head that they are difficult to setup and require more knowledge about tuning suspension than the normal shocks. This scares me since I really don't know how to dial in my suspension and my racing buddy has had his fox air shocks for 4 months and still hasn't gotten them to feel as nice as his Elkas (he is a top B level racer but has limited suspension knowledge too)

bwamos
02-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Is there a place you can go to find out more about the Custom Axis air suspension? For some reason they don't have any info on their website.

I may be wrong, but I beleive that the Axis Air Shocks are still in R&D. I think it was Brent that I saw in one of Pappy's photoshoots that had some on his DS450.

04TRX400EX
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Does anyone else have personal experience with both PEP and Motowoz setups? I am in the planning stage for what I want to do later this year when I get my 450R MX quad. I was originally thinking of going with PEP ARC Hi-Volumes front and rear but the more I hear about Motowoz the more I want to try them; plus, they are a little less expensive.

jandjracing
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Does anyone else have personal experience with both PEP and Motowoz setups?

One of our top local "A" riders runs a Walsh 450r and just peeled off his PEP and went with Motowoz. He can't believe how much of an improvement it is. I do not know the details of his previous setup.

DEVINF450R
02-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Ok the crossovers are where the spacers between the different spring rates that allow for a progressive feel throughout the uptravel. I am positive I am buying a 450r with PEP PB1 up front and ZPS in the rear but I may put some motowoz on my practice bike.

Is there a place you can go to find out more about the Custom Axis air suspension? For some reason they don't have any info on their website. I am intrigued by the Fox and Axis air shocks but I have head that they are difficult to setup and require more knowledge about tuning suspension than the normal shocks. This scares me since I really don't know how to dial in my suspension and my racing buddy has had his fox air shocks for 4 months and still hasn't gotten them to feel as nice as his Elkas (he is a top B level racer but has limited suspension knowledge too)

You just have to know what feels good, so you just need to prob be a bit of an experienced rider... fox gives you a great place to start, you just have to dial it in... plus they look WAY cooler than a spring shock :D

DEVINF450R
02-20-2008, 06:42 PM

You just have to know what feels good, so you just need to prob be a bit of an experienced rider... fox gives you a great place to start, you just have to dial it in... plus they look WAY cooler than a spring shock :D

korniev
02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
There is a lot of talk about the Motowoz shocks though I have yet to see a pair in person at a D37 Big 6 (California GP series) or the WORCS. Some people are claiming Motowoz are the best shocks around but I am wondering what other suspension manufacturers they have tried to reach this conclusion. I am almost positive I will be buying a set of PEP PB1 fronts ($2,000) and the ZPS rear ($800). Custom Axis is still a slight possible option and so is Motowoz. I am wondering if anyone has compared the Motowoz to a properly set up pair of PEP PB1 or Custom Axis? I am looking for the input of "A" or Pro level racer in either MX or Grand Prix (I race WORCS and ITP Quadcross) that have experience with different suspension manufacturers. Price isn't as much of an issue as finding the best suspension availible. All I have ever ridden is elka but after riding a set of PEP not even tuned to my weight I feel cheated for spending so much money on my inferior Elka suspension.

U are damn right about the ELKA shocks. Our team just came back from France from the "Quaduro Le Touquet 2008 " race.
They did pretty well, however due to the failure of both of the ELKA shocks on one of the quads, they could not really reach their potential...... These shocks got TOTALLY destroyed. Imagine, even the clickers are literally frozen now. They don't move.:)
http://www.xsr-moto.ru/img/589.jpg
(Shocks on the left one are dead)

But yeh, even Jim from Motowoz told me that Axis shocks were very high quality products....He was not that possitive though about the peps......

korniev
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
. Jim is a very smart guy and will not try and BS you. He is more than willing to go out of his way to help someone out.

Oh yes, and I know about it for damn sure after what happened......

korniev
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
I love it when people say stuff like this :P

Yeh! He is actually right!