PDA

View Full Version : 400ex upgrades??

skifreee911
02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
couple of questions.....
I have an 04 400ex and.....
I am considering buying a set of stock 04-05 450r shocks. Will they be alright for a while not getting them revalved? or is it a waste of time. I do trail riding only and I weigh about 180. I don't know if they are any different but I can run either factory 400 or factory 450 springs also. I am just not ready to spend the 700 on a respring and revalve, so if they are alot better ride as is I will throw them on and have fun!!!

Also the 450r plastics, will they fit a 400ex?

Lastly is the 450r carb as good as I have heard for an upgrade???

08400EX
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Unless at a minimum you have the 450R shocks resprung they will beat you to death on a 400 for trail riding. They did me and I am 225ish. I did the Works Triple rate Spring Kit and it is much better, will have to spend more seat time to know for sure if I need a revalve also.

Knowing what I know now I would not have gone the 450R route, by the time you buy them , respring and revalve(if needed) you could have bought a set of new iShock F8 shocks from Motosport for only $699.

shortex
02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I weigh about 205lbs. I put a set of 05 450R shocks on my 99 ex and I love them. I only trail ride so I turned the compression all the way down and their fine. This will start a riot and it is only my opinion, but don't believe all of the re-valve hype. There will be no hole torn in space and time if they aren't "revalved for your weight" I would wait until they NEED rebuilt for a valve job. Every rider is different. What may be smooth for one person may be rough for another. I've ridden Elkas, Works, Ohlins, and the new era of factory shocks with the comp and rebound adjustments... and for trail riding the newer factory shocks are the best bang for the buck. When the time is right and the shocks NEED rebuilt I probably will have the shocks valved for my weight, but don't do it just because someone says that you need to.

just my .02

08400EX
02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by shortex
I weigh about 205lbs. I put a set of 05 450R shocks on my 99 ex and I love them. I only trail ride so I turned the compression all the way down and their fine.

Very Ironic, I thought the same thing about my 450Rs when I first installed them... Then I happened to put my stockers back on (to get the 450Rs ready to ship out for repsring) and I didn't realize just how harsh the 450Rs were over rocks, bumps, etc.(with comp all the way down too). And this was on back to back trips at the same riding area. If you get bored you might want to try it and I think you might see what I mean.

BTW, I am with you on the revalve, it is not needed for everyone.

shortex
02-15-2008, 06:30 AM
I'd try that but they are shot. They were about like an old buckboard, all spring and no damping I've been thinking about the works spring kit for my R shocks. Did it lower your ride height much?

08400EX
02-15-2008, 06:40 AM
With the pre-load adjusters almost all the way up the ride height is identical to my new stock shocks.