PDA

View Full Version : Mugen 250R jug

CorvetteZ06
02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
hey guys, lookin through E bay and came across this jug, anybody ever ridden with one of these? How is the power? how is it compared to a Pro-X jug?

item # 140207369966

bushwesl
02-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I saw this too and was wondering the same thing. What is the displacement?

beobe99
02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Talk about RARE. I just bid 2k on it.. thanks for the find.

Kidding. But dam i would like to have that.

O-ringed deck (but no head Im guessing? Procross head could work?) Also Id worry about what sleeve to use if / or when it comes to that.

The seller was way to breif with the description.

But even with that said I want that thing hehe!

600 beans though.

Rich250RRacer
02-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by beobe99
Also Id worry about what sleeve to use if / or when it comes to that.

I would have it Nikasiled, that's how I saved one of my favorite cylinders. Mine would have had to go beyond .060 to clean up, but US Chrome nik'ed it to .050, and if that wears out, they can re-coat it.

250Renvy
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I would have it Nikasiled, that's how I saved one of my favorite cylinders. Mine would have had to go beyond .060 to clean up, but US Chrome nik'ed it to .050, and if that wears out, they can re-coat it.

What does re-nikasilling cost? How long does it last - can you change pistons or do you have to re-nik everytime you do a top-end?

I've been searching for an aftermarket cylinder but have stayed away from duncan because of Nikasil and perceived extra expense.

Rich250RRacer
02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
What does re-nikasilling cost? How long does it last - can you change pistons or do you have to re-nik everytime you do a top-end?

I've been searching for an aftermarket cylinder but have stayed away from duncan because of Nikasil and perceived extra expense.

To re-Nik a cylinder that was factory Nikasil, it's about $130-150. If you're going over a stock cast iron bore, which I did, it's about $180-195. My CR's and my '04 450R have never been re-coated. The one CR has had about six top-ends, and the 450R is on it's third. Neither has shown much wear. I ran the 250R with the Nikasiled stock cylinder lean last winter and melted the front of the piston. A flapper wheel on a die grinder cleaned up the cylinder, then I ran a ball hone through it and it was as good as new. Same compression as when I first put the freshly Nik'ed cylinder on.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
You guys dont know what a Mugen jug is :ermm:
Its old school HRC tech.
They even had one for the old 80s model air cooled 250R ATCs, 250 & 300cc versions.
Neil

afterchucker
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
It appears the jug is for an early 80's CR250R but Mindy-mart claims it was bolted to a TRX250R bottom end.....The bolt pattern on the base of a early 80's CR is the same as the pattern on the TRX. The bolt pattern on the TRX head is different than that of a CR though. What are the chances an OEM CR head bolts on to that MUGEN jug? Anyone know if the stroke is the same in the 83 CR250R and short rod TRX250R? Im wondering what modifications would make that jug work on the TRX? Would it be worth the time? Whats a jug like that worth?

TANNER250r
02-15-2008, 09:02 AM
That looks rare I remember seeing one 2 years ago on eBay that went for $700

Rich250RRacer
02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by afterchucker
It appears the jug is for an early 80's CR250R but Mindy-mart claims it was bolted to a TRX250R bottom end.....The bolt pattern on the base of a early 80's CR is the same as the pattern on the TRX. The bolt pattern on the TRX head is different than that of a CR though. What are the chances an OEM CR head bolts on to that MUGEN jug? Anyone know if the stroke is the same in the 83 CR250R and short rod TRX250R? Im wondering what modifications would make that jug work on the TRX? Would it be worth the time? Whats a jug like that worth?

Not to bash you, maybe just set you straight. The ATC/TRX motor is not based on or the same as the '83 CR, or 84 for that matter. The 83 and 84 CR used a 7 stud head. The motor is actually based on the 85 CR250, minus the ATAC power valve. The 85-91 CR motor and the ATC/TRX motor all use the same bolt pattern on the head, the cylinder bolt pattern is also the same, but there is a difference in the base gasket between the bike and the quad because of the power valve linkage that is incorporated in the base of the cylinder on the bike. If you look at an '85 CR jug, the port configuration is identical to an ATC/TRX. The only difference is the ATAC mechanism on the cylinder. So that jug in the auction is for an ATC/TRX, based on the bolt patterns and the lack of any type of power valve set up.

afterchucker
02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I really meant to say 82 CR250R instead of 83

regg187
02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
So that jug in the auction is for an ATC/TRX, based on the bolt patterns and the lack of any type of power valve set up.

I' think maybe not, When Hiro Hondas son opened MUGEN, They were as Neil said the beginings of what would become HRC. THey were hondas high performance and R&D facility more R&D then than anything , it's where WILD ideas were tried out for hondas without casting a shadow on the honda racing name if something failed miserably. They built parts for bikes& cars then and dabbeled in kart's the 300 kit for the aircooled atc 250R was a Mugen product, no matter where you bought it from. Mugens US location was Ohio, Same place as there first US car plant.
Anyways when water cooled TRX's came out they were done building parts for them, and had moved on to really building Kart engines, so that cylinder couldn't be for a TRX, cuz they didn't build any for them, but it could be for a cr 250 cuz they were still making parts for them.

Did you check out the exhaust flange area, someones probably gonna have to make one if it doesn't match up to a cr250 oem flange!!

Rich250RRacer
02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by regg187
I' think maybe not, When Hiro Hondas son opened MUGEN, They were as Neil said the beginings of what would become HRC. THey were hondas high performance and R&D facility more R&D then than anything , it's where WILD ideas were tried out for hondas without casting a shadow on the honda racing name if something failed miserably. They built parts for bikes& cars then and dabbeled in kart's the 300 kit for the aircooled atc 250R was a Mugen product, no matter where you bought it from. Mugens US location was Ohio, Same place as there first US car plant.
Anyways when water cooled TRX's came out they were done building parts for them, and had moved on to really building Kart engines, so that cylinder couldn't be for a TRX, cuz they didn't build any for them, but it could be for a cr 250 cuz they were still making parts for them.

There's one thing that you are definitely right on. That is that the cylinder probably isn't originally from a TRX. And now that I took another look at the cylinder, there was something that I overlooked. That cylinder IS from a CR, the provisions ARE on it for the ATAC system. It will bolt on an ATC/TRX bottom end and it is from an '85. The ATAC system is totally different on an '84 CR, along with the different head stud pattern. Any ATC/TRX head will bolt to this Mugen cylinder. Anyone buying this for a quad or trike would run into a problem with the exhaust flange, there is another piece of the ATAC system that goes on before the pipe. The ATAC system wouldn't have to be used, but you would run into a problem mounting up a pipe.

matt250r21
02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Did you guys see that weird casting under the exahust flange? Looks kinda like a water jacket port or something with a allen bolt??? That cylinder dose not look like some of the other Mugan cylinders I have see that fit on the 250R bootom end.

Rich250RRacer
02-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Did you guys see that weird casting under the exahust flange? Looks kinda like a water jacket port or something with a allen bolt??? That cylinder dose not look like some of the other Mugan cylinders I have see that fit on the 250R bootom end.

That's for the rack which controls the ATAC. When I first saw this cylinder, I overlooked everything that pointed towards being a CR. And I'm really familiar with the various Honda exhaust timing systems. I chalk this one up to excitement from seeing such a rare piece. There's a bunch of things that show it's from a CR, the hole on the bottom deck surface where the ATAC drive would come through, the casting with the allen bolt, and the shape of the exhaust flange.

x.system
02-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by TANNER250r
That looks rare I remember seeing one 2 years ago on eBay that went for $700

Was probably this one, the only one I've seen on ebay since 02.

NOT MINE SO DON'T EVEN ASK

http://i31.tinypic.com/2zjjcc0.jpg

TRXRacer1
02-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Mugen is some cool stuff and you have to appreciate the history behind them but I wouldn't go out of my way for one unless you're looking to go "old school". Today's products are more refined and superior to the early tech.