PDA

View Full Version : I need help making up my mind

Neicks
02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I have several friends that ride dunes 24/7. They also race up the "Comp Hill" so I would like to be able to compete. I have driven both the raptor and the yfz and am no expert by any means. I am looking for the best quad whether it be between these two or even other 450s, etc. I am mostly going to be racing up the hill majority of the time so I would prefer to have the highest performance machine that is going to be out sometime near August. Also, what are some cheap upgrades I can make such as a filter + dyno. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

xrdrsux
02-14-2008, 04:24 AM
raptor hands down..
cheap upgrades.. yea right.
duals: 650
PCIII: 255
Intake: 100
Cam: 130 ish
Piston: 180ish
Gasket kit: 45ish
the sky is the limit but check out www.raptorforum.com and look at all the duners out there and see what it takes to beat their stroked 700... a 30k dollar banshee but other than that .... i dont think so. Hard to beat a big 3 raptor much less one that has a cam and piston even if it is a std bore.

xrdrsux
02-14-2008, 04:27 AM
you have a message also.

Neicks
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Any more suggestions or does everyone agree? Also, does anyone know of a great shop in or near Las Vegas?

xrdrsux
02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
tech quad shop probably will have the best deals for you.
as far as installs.. there is a downloadable manual that has been posted up on raptorforum.com . Install of the above mods were a breeze. Nothing too it. i did 2 of them and ive never worked on an Atv in my life before.

f4istunna
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
i agree raptor would make a great dune bike. Lots of them on raptor forums to give you info and help.

I run my rappy in the woods its a great all around bike. I have a yfz too setup for mx im happy with it too, but she's high maintenance

Neicks
02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I was talking to a few others at a local ride shop and they were telling me that in the dunes/mx the yfz will perform better but in the woods the raptor will. So anymore just to convince me so I know 100% that this is the bike would be grealy appreciated.

f4istunna
02-15-2008, 07:17 PM
theres alot of Xc guys running the yfz obviously 450's are the bike of choice but i wouldnt trade my raptor for the yfz in the woods the way its setup now. The reverse is a great feature too Plus you cant beat the torque

A few mods and its tough to beat anywhere other than the mx track. lol

450rJam
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
yfz or trx, both should be coming out with some new tech.

they are the last to offer efi but when they do it will be a great system

honda's hrc kits for the 450r are cheap, reliable and perform

is price important? (hint hint) new ktm ?

#17YFZRACER
02-15-2008, 07:26 PM
the yfz has alot of free power upgrades you can do like the cam mod. drill out the stock exhaust, do the cam mod, take the air box lid off, and re-jet it for the cost of a $.10 jet and you will wake up the yfz,or i should say it will wake you up:D the yfz's motor has a harder hit and revs faster. you will have some more maintenance but if you like to turn a wrench it is a lot of fun. the yfz weighs less than the raptor. the raptor has more top speed but the yfz isnt far off and will rev to the moon. just my $.2:)

Neicks
02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
If these two were to race up about a 300'-500' dune which one would win or would it be that close?

450rJam
02-16-2008, 07:20 AM
the one with the more skilled rider

yfz and 700rappy are close enough that with equal riders up hill in the sand that they would prob. trade wins back and forth.

I would say the yfz would get the hole shot and the raptor would be stronger up top (stock vs stock)

take them to the mx track and the yfz is better

if you want to run trails and relax the 700r is more comfy and you get a reverse gear

raptor has alot of low end and can lug around pretty easy
yfz likes to be revvvved (kind of like 2 stroke) and begs to go fast

700 would prob. get the nod on reliability just because of rpms

if your choice is between these two you have a win win situation
they are both capable and fast quads
(and Im a honda guy so dont tell my friends I was talking good about their yami's)

#17YFZRACER
02-17-2008, 08:13 AM
your safe bro;)

xrdrsux
02-17-2008, 08:21 AM
you get the following up grades and no big bore 450 will run with you . now if they stroke it out and do all kinds of super stuff that could be a different story. I know from experience. We only race in 300 red clay drags in georgia. No dunes here for us.
think about the "high mantinence" that is required with any 450 not just yfz. If done right they require a good bit of attention.
you can run a stock exh w/o baffle, pcIII, and intake with lid removed and win a heck of alot of races. just the reprogram and pullng the pea shooter out of the exhaust really wakes the 700 up. no doubt.

Originally posted by xrdrsux
raptor hands down..
cheap upgrades.. yea right.
duals: 650
PCIII: 255
Intake: 100
Cam: 130 ish
Piston: 180ish
Gasket kit: 45ish
the sky is the limit but check out www.raptorforum.com and look at all the duners out there and see what it takes to beat their stroked 700... a 30k dollar banshee but other than that .... i dont think so. Hard to beat a big 3 raptor much less one that has a cam and piston even if it is a std bore.

#17YFZRACER
02-17-2008, 06:26 PM
id still go with the yfz but thats me. it holds its own in drags and if you do anything else with it like track/trails it will outperform the raptor for sure in turning. the yfz loves to be rode very aggressively if you like that you will love the yfz. it will turn and burn with the best of them:D :D :D heres mine

Alias99
03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Raptor wold kill the yfz in the trails hands down just my opinion it even states it in numerous mags