PDA

View Full Version : clutch?

IDLE13
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
How do you adjust the clutch? My issue is the ex just got a new clutch cable and all the gears shift good but i cant get it into neutral. No one knows how to adjust a clutch cable?

drew416ex
02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
On the clutch perch ther is an adjustment knob with a lock nut on it. Losen the nut and adjust the cable as needed. Most 400s are picky about going into neutral. Mine goes in easiest when its just barely rolling.

dariusld
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by drew416ex
adjust the cable as needed.

??? I don't think you answered his question:confused:

drew416ex
02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
??? I don't think you answered his question:confused:

Um, did you not read the rest of it. And if I didnt answer it, why didnt you.

dariusld
02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I could be wrong. Maybe you did answer his question. I was just wondering if you could explain " as needed"? I think that would cover the subject of adjusting your clutch a little better.

You know like "if there is too much play, then it won't fully disengage" or " not enough play and you have excess wear". Or something like that;) And maybe you could list the exact amount of play there is supposed to be, I think that might be helpful. Or maybe a link to other threads about adjusting your clutch. And you could of added that there is an adjuster by the engine also.

IDLE13
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
well i have the cable tighteded all the way down to the clutch lever is that right? I tried messin with it and it still wont go into neutral unless its shut off. new problem I took it down the road and it wobbled all over the place pulled in different directions and everything it has some sort of steering dampner on it. In the snow it goes straigt but on pavement it pulls and wobbles like crazy any ideas. Thirdly when i hit the starter buton it just clicks once and does nothing, then i do it again and it starts I have no idea what this is, my neutral light only works sometimes and if i turn the head lights off I have to keep messin with them to get them to turn back on. This thing is crazy

IDLE13
02-14-2008, 08:04 PM
no one has any ideas?

drew416ex
02-15-2008, 09:52 AM
What do you mean by its all the way tight? Is there no freeplay in the lever? I adjust mine so that there is 1/16 - 1/8" of freeplay before you start to feel the clutch disengage.

IDLE13
02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
i mean i screwed the cable all the way into the lever

drew416ex
02-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Ok then most likely the clutch isnt disengaging all the way. Unscrew the adjuster until there is about 1/8 - 1/16" of freeplay at the clutch lever. If there isnt enough adjustment on that part, there is another adjustment where it bolts to the engine. If you need less slack on this adjustment, tighten the nut so that it pulls the cable towards the front of the atv, If it needs more slack, go the other direction.

damon#6
02-17-2008, 11:43 AM
it seems that the nutrle light and the head lights is just a wiring problem .and for the start, it mite be something wrong with the starter as for the clutch just ajustit like other people were sayin

damon#6
02-17-2008, 11:47 AM
oo and check ur oil it could be down because when ur oil is down its hard to shift when ur not moving so all the gears mite work good so check ur oil mybe..

Ntensweapon
02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
with your headlight/starting problems...i would bet your case switch is full of dirt. take it apart and spray out with electronics cleaner and compressed air. do this several times. you can see the contacts inside. concentrate your efforts on those. move the switches around also.

IDLE13
02-17-2008, 07:57 PM
ok well i adjusted the clutch all day today and got it so it stoped creeping and it shifts good now, still cant get it into reverse. I drained the oil and it was like grey and had tiny bits of metal in it. The hub on the back was loose so i tightend it up. Soo now still no neutral, starter still clicks and works some times, lights go on when i push the button really hard. O and the front tires are pointed in too far I think thats a tie rod adjustment any ideas guys

damon#6
02-18-2008, 08:19 AM
peaces of metal .. thats bad . well i have an 2001 400ex so i dont know much about the newer ones. and ya it is a tie rod agustment . ur bike has alot of things wrong with it man sorry i cant help much...

IDLE13
02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
it was like little tiny peices, the starter thing still no clue it starts when it wants to. The bike runs good i just need to take care of this little ****.

damon#6
02-18-2008, 06:44 PM
my dad is pritty good at this **** he said for the lil peaces of metal ur motor is waring down .. its coming from ur crank or ur mane gears manly anything from ur bottem end could be something in ur tranny just waring off lil peaces of metal thats what that is...and ur starter if it rolls over all the time its ur cables goin to ur starter .. k if u know a lil bit about bike u will know what i am goin to say .. take ur starter tirmanils (the things bolted to the top the wires ) take them off and dont get them misked up so take one off at a time and take sand paper and sand it down (the metal that tuches the starter) so u can get better ground and do it to the other one ..so clean them up ..umm all so by the starter there is a lil contaner and if u take that off there is a fuse there pull it out and see if u bloow a fuse. u can tell this by lookin at the fuse and there is a lil metal peace in side it gos from one side of the fuse to the other if anywere the metal peace is broke or snaped then u bloow a fuse by a new one .. make sure to cheak the ampage it has a number at the top of the fuse like 15 , 12 something like that and make sure u get the same one pop it back in and u could try that also .. i dont know were ur fuse is but mine is right by the starter most likely for ur too .. o and when i say starter i dont mean the buttin i mean the starter by the battery . so that my adviece to u man good luck on it ... wright back if u need more help ..

IDLE13
02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
I think the little metal peices were from him running car oil in it, and Ill check the fuse and terminals. Thanks for the info. Any ideas on why it wont go into neutral

damon#6
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
ummm wow lol who was useing car oil!? and no problem ... umm the nutrul thing it ether in because ur oil is down i think i allredy say that.. ummm u need to ajust ur clutch theres one on the purch were the lever is and theres one on the clutch side of the motor there the cable is .. or it could be ur shifter forks u mite need new shifter forks. i am not sure but mabe because u see lil peaces of metal it could be from ur shifter forks witch wars them down and thats y it wont shift into nutrul .. i am not sure though but ask a mecanic about that just call up a shop.. wright back if u get ur bike running good . trust me i know what it feels like not haveing a bike it sucks my 400ex needed motor work like 6,7 months ago so i have no bin riding for that long but i am gettin it back this wensday !

IDLE13
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Yea i asked a honda guy and he said it might be the shifter forks but im in denial, if thats the case im just gonna sell it because that will most likely cost alot of money.

damon#6
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
first of all dont wory .. did u ask how much it will cost to get new shifter forks because my dad said they would cost around 150 to 200 $ if so its not that bad .

IDLE13
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
yea he said around 800 total for the shifter fork repair, Id rather sell it if thats the case. I had 1800 and that was it I deffinately dont have another 800 to put into this thing and thats only one problem.

damon#6
02-18-2008, 08:18 PM
****ty yo that sucks well i dont know what eals to say .. let me one what u did after man. but thats in cluding the labor and everthiny right ?

IDLE13
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
yea but thats still crazy

damon#6
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
well when i get my bike back i o the guy 800$ he gave me a good price though because i know him ... he put in : a 416 bore kit stage 2 hot cams ,port and polish 11:1 competion piston clutch and timeing chain .

shadowwalker
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by damon#6
****ty yo that sucks well i dont know what eals to say .. let me one what u did after man. but thats in cluding the labor and everthiny right ?

If you don't know what else to say, please, stop posting. Your spelling and grammar are hurting me on the inside.

IDLE13
02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
I think my clutch is bad. I adjusted the crap out of that cable again today, no neutral and its creeping forward no matter how tight or loose. Plus if I just let go of the clutch it move forward slowly and doesnt stall. Thats a clutch right, any ideas on how hard or exspensive this would be to fix or should I just sell?

damon#6
02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
hey shadowwalker **** u i am trying to help out some one and if u dont like it ****k off ... anyywas ya if u ajusted the clutch everywere and it still wants to go forword with the clutch in then u r goin to need a new clutch there not that much. i just got one for my 01 and i think i payed 1 and something off e-bay but ya i dont know for the newer ones but i think it will be the same. they shouldn't be over 200 $ and it depends though because thats just gettin the clutch plates and the springs thats it. thats what i got. all u have to do is take off the side case( the side were the clutch is) and u will see the clutch take off the cover were the 4 bolts are and there is springs behind the bolts . once that is off take all ur friction plates and separator plates off but make sure not to get them mixed up ! make sure u know witch way they went on . and then look at the clutch basket and in side of it for and ware or lil chiped marks if everything looks good then all u need is clutchs plates and springs thats what a clutch kit comes with . if thats all u need then it should be anywere around 80$ to 130$ i got mine for 100 $ and its vary smiple to do this ur self ((just make sure ur 2 types of plates witch type went in first)) its a 10 min job well besides the facted that u need to soke the plates in the oil thats goin in to ur bike soo good oil for 10 min. And when u let ur clutch out a go to ride it when u give it gas does it rev up like u still have ur clutch in a bit and it has no power??? if soo thats a good sine that u need a new clutch .

dariusld
02-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by IDLE13
yea he said around 800 total for the shifter fork repair, Id rather sell it if thats the case. I had 1800 and that was it I deffinately dont have another 800 to put into this thing and thats only one problem.

Shifter fork repair is very labor intensive. And once he cracks open that case, he will probably find other things needing repair.:(

IDLE13
02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
nah it creeps forward when the clutch is pulled in, but it has no power loss that i can tell. No neutral at all

Pipeless416
02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
nah it creeps forward when the clutch is pulled in, but it has no power loss that i can tell. No neutral at all

when it moves forward no matter what adjustments you make, it could also mean a grooved clutch basket. im having that issue too.

IDLE13
02-19-2008, 04:35 PM
idk the guys at the atv stores here say its bent shift forks

damon#6
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
ya thats what it is most likely thats what i said befor because u have bin seeing lil metal peaces in ur oil so..ur takein lil chips and stuff off ur shifter forks but for the moveing ahead thing i still think u need a clutch.. but man if u really like riding like i do then keep the bike put some money in to it. like i just got my bike a year a go not eveon and i just got it rebuilt with the bike like that ur not goin to get to much for the bike anywas and if i like riding then ur goin to put out another 2500 or more for a nother bike like i payed 2500$ for my 2001 400ex it cam with some mods but it needed work to so spend the 1000 $ and get it rebuilt .. but the thing is eh u have to get it done by a honda shop that sucks they charge like 40 $ an hour just for labor. like i knoe the guy that works on mine so he guves me discounts some times i dont evon have to pay him the hole thing to get my bike back i could pay him like next weekend lol

416exfreak
02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Mines a ***** to get into neutral when its running...

:ermm:

IDLE13
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
yea well mine dont go into neutral at all so dont feel bad

TRXRacer1
02-23-2008, 08:58 PM
idk the guys at the atv stores here say its bent shift forks I'd stay away from anyone that thinks it's a fork. You could have a fork bent, twisted or broke off and it still wouldn't have anything to do with your problem. These guys sound like scammers or idiots. If it's not a bad cable or out of adjustment you might want to look at pipeless416's advice. Replacing the clutch won't help either.

damon#6
02-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I'd stay away from anyone that thinks it's a fork. You could have a fork bent, twisted or broke off and it still wouldn't have anything to do with your problem. These guys sound like scammers or idiots. If it's not a bad cable or out of adjustment you might want to look at pipeless416's advice. Replacing the clutch won't help either.

ummm buddy he called a honda shop and thats what they said too.. that it is the shifter forks they could be bent soo dont think ur all that smart ether.. and i dont think u know what shifter forks are because thats what shifts all ur gears so maybe that could be the reason y he cant shift it in to neutral....every gear works but neutral so i dont think its the clutch basket

Pipeless416
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by damon#6
ummm buddy he called a honda shop and thats what they said too.. that it is the shifter forks they could be bent soo dont think ur all that smart ether.. and i dont think u know what shifter forks are because thats what shifts all ur gears so maybe that could be the reason y he cant shift it in to neutral....every gear works but neutral so i dont think its the clutch basket

seriously kid, with your attitude on this site i hope you get banned, which you probably will. you've been nothing but a little turd on here. trxracer gives some of the best mechanical advice on the site. just because the stealership said its one thing, doesnt make it the case. you see, it would be way more expensive in labor costs to change shift forks over just the clutch basket, which gives them more money in the end.

damon#6
02-24-2008, 10:20 AM
ok... i understand