PDA

View Full Version : stage 1 or stage 2

Jnblaster05
02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
so i have a 04 400ex im gonna race harescrambles this year first time racing at all D23 and was wonderin if i should get a stage 1 or stage 2 cam i dont have it bored or anything but am thinkin of going to a 440 so for this year though would it be ok to get a stage 2 cam and run that all year then bore it out next winter

REPOMAN
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
it wont hurt anything to use the stage 2. plus i think it is not recommended to use the stage 1 per hotcams website.

Ryan Plaugher
02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
The stage 2 is for high end and the stage 1 is for low end. I have the stage 2 and love it. I dont think you can go wrong with ether cam. If i were you I would wait to install the cam untill you bore the cylinder. I think it depends on rider preference. If you are going to lug and i mean 3rd and up gears and low rpms i would get the stage 1. If you dont lug the engine like that then get the stage 2. You gain power throughout the rpm range no matter what cam you have.

tdmopar59
02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
hmm.. i was trying to make this same decision as well... its a hard choice for me because i do everything with my quad.. trailing, hill climbs, jumping at tracks, yea... pretty universal.

Hondamaster5505
02-14-2008, 06:18 AM
WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY STAGE 1 IS FOR LOW-END!!!

I must have looked it up on hotcams sight a BILLION times.

This is directly from their site:

TRX 400EX Stage 1: single-cam motor. Excellent midrange and top-end power increase. Not recommended for big bore applications over 426cc. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism. Stock starter sufficient

TRX 400EX Stage 2: single-cam motor. More top-end power than Stage 1 with midrange gain. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism. Stock starter sufficient.

tdmopar59
02-14-2008, 07:44 AM
hmm... looks like stage 2 is the better choice... i think thats what i will go with eventually...

zrpilot
02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Jnblaster05
so i have a 04 400ex im gonna race harescrambles this year first time racing at all D23 and was wonderin if i should get a stage 1 or stage 2 cam i dont have it bored or anything but am thinkin of going to a 440 so for this year though would it be ok to get a stage 2 cam and run that all year then bore it out next winter

One word of caution, if you go with a stage 2 and don't increase the compression... the machine may lose low end power. This is because with a higher lift longer duration cam the effective dynamic compression goes down at the same compression ratio.

Compression is a dominating factor for producing low end torque. Here's the difference:

Taking into account the valve specifications:

Stock cam cranking compression at 1000ft = 8.2:1
HC stage 1 cranking compression at 1000ft = 7.8:1
HC stage 2 cranking compression at 1000ft = 7.6:1

If you go to a 11.0:1 piston (instead of the stock 9.1:1 piston) then the numbers change to:

stock cam: 9.9:1
HC stg 1: 9.5:1
HC stg 2: 9.2:1

Still invest in whatever cam you choose, just be aware that the motor may lose a little low end until you can up the compression

Jnblaster05
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
thanks everybody especially zr pilot thats the kinda stuff i was wonderin

TRXRacer1
02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Just to be clear here that stage 2 cam will only effect the very very bottom end without a higher comp piston. Throughout most of the RPMs it will increase compression.

02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
My brother had the stage 1 hotcam and then later he got a 10.1 piston and the stage 1 made a huge increase in midrange RPM's. There was a gain everywhere but it seemed to be most dramatic in mid range it was like vtech haha

zrpilot
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Just to be clear here that stage 2 cam will only effect the very very bottom end without a higher comp piston. Throughout most of the RPMs it will increase compression.

I think you meant "increase power"? If so you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I forgot to mention this in my prior post.

Thanks for the clarification!

TRXRacer1
02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
I think you meant "increase power"? Nope, I meant compression but power will increase too. Longer duration cams will lower compression at cranking speeds but raise it as RPMs increase. This is why if you put this cam in you'd see a drop when you put your gauge on and yet feel an increase in power when you run it. Of course a more radical cam would exaggerate the effect but I don't think anyone should be worried about a this in a Hotcam.

Jnblaster05
02-14-2008, 07:21 PM
another quick question any guess's as to what i should pay to have a 440 kit installed like dropping the bike off and pickin it up.