PDA

View Full Version : Cheap motor mods for my R???

stocktires
11-04-2001, 06:50 PM
OK, I have an 86 250r and i have the following things done to the motor:

#1. FMF fatty with some dents and an old power core silencer
#2. Cool head w/ 19cc dome
#3. Boyessen Rad valve
#4. Aftermarket exhaust flange
#5. Boyessen carb bowl
#6. K&N Filter
#7. Aftermarket Airbox lid

I want some cheap motor mods to make it faster! I was thinkin maybe a reed spacer? What type of power whould that give me and how much more power whould it give me? I can get a 38pj carb for about $95 on ebay should i get it or save if for my C-dale cannibal? and i can get porting done for about $115. I want a little more bottom end so i wana go down a size on the rear sproket but would that make mt chain real loose? My chain and sprokets arent in bad shape now but i've heard if you get a new rear sproket AND an old chain and front sproket (or vise versa with rear and front)it will wear out quicker than the old used one. is that true? And what about a CR head gasket? but i've heard people have blown them and i already have a cool head! please help ASAP!

Taco
11-05-2001, 07:03 AM
if you dont want to go with the CR head gasket get the ATC headgasket its a lil thicker. maybe an aftermarket reedcage.

stocktires
11-05-2001, 02:15 PM
I'm probably gonna get a atc head gasket when i get a fresh bore, but i alread y have a boyessen rad valve so should i ge ta reed spacer?

Taco
11-05-2001, 06:23 PM
you can give a reed spacer a try they are supposed to give you a tad more low end. Not an expensive mod neither. and crap doesnt your cool-head use orings to seal the head instead of a headgasket? I dont think you can run the ATC gasket or any at all. Just switch to a smaller dome.

stocktires
11-05-2001, 07:11 PM
I have the cool head that uses gaskets, it was on it when i got it. It uses 250r gaskets so im sure i could run an atc gasket. I'll probably try the reed spacer and a smaller dome or atc gasket and race gas.