PDA

View Full Version : I'm new in this Quad World, can you help me??

arTuReX
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi to everybody!, i like this forum and i been reading it for the last couple of months, i see that theres a lot of people with a lot experience, so maybe you guys can help, me and my friend decided to buy some used Quads, i bought a 04 trx450r no mods other than nerf bars and suspension cover, we went saturday and sunday to Carnegie in Tracy, Ca. oh man what a experience! and my friend say that i rode good for a newbi, (im 31 and i haven't ride a quad in my life) so my bike sit all night on the back of my friends truck facing up(that's the only way we figure to put both our quads in one truck!mine facing up and my friend behind mine), so anyways as soon i put it down a bunch of gas start leaking, but not a little, almost all i had in my gas tank, so first thing they told me is that i did not close my gas!, (wich i did)so we try to started and no luck!, i got so tired of kicking! oh man! ok so then we check my air filter and it was soacking wet in gas! so we try to get another one! and no luck so that shut us down for the day!, so i ordered a k&n filter and new spark plug and we are heading to hollister for the weekend! hopefully everything will work out, if anybody can help me with the gas thing i would apreciate it!, and also i wanna get diferent bars, my friends bars(pro taper) feels so much better than my stock ones, im just wonderig how to put the starter on my bars and that red temperature light!, and any words of advise will be great thank you guys and hope to see you guys out there!.:D

02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Does your petcock work? I would first turn the petcock off, then pull the fuel line off of the carb and see if gas comes out. Before you stand it up you must drain the bowl of the carb so the air filter doesn't get full of gas.

Gas was pouring out after you put it on 4 wheels? If so where was it coming from. Pictures would be nice.

BlaineKaiser450
02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
i cant really help with the gas issue, but with pro tapers, just zip tie the key and the red light to the cables under the hood.

in the pic you can kinda see the key zip tied to the brake lines.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/Pictures10-14-06134-1.jpg

it sounds like you live in my general area, so next time you go to Hollister or P-City or wherever, send me a pm. also check out the site www.nor-calatv.com and sign up for their forum. We go on a lot of group rides and all of that good stuff :macho

arTuReX
02-13-2008, 08:32 PM
TRX450R_Racer
thanks for the help, the gas was comming from a hose under the chasis, not the little one that we use everytime we kickstart too much and we have to put the quad sideways so the extra fuel comes of thr airpot drain i think, ill take a pic this weekend so you can help me more and im pretty sure the petcock works! but for now no more putting the trx in tho wheels!
BlaineKaiser45
Thanks a lot me and my best but we'll be on hollister this saturday 16th in the morning!i'll pm you!!
thanks again guys!!

j_cyrus3
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
I have some black Tag T2 bars if you want them. 25 bucks plus shipping. Welcome to the site by the way!

arTuReX
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
j_cyrus3
Sure man i spend most of my money so i definetely looking for some parts!just pm me your info i'll send you $$$, thanks!

Modifly
02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
i bought my trx afew weekends ago.. and went out for a dirty weekend on it and got back.. removed the airfilter and stuck a bag over the hole. (turned the fuel off) stuck it on its arse and the bag filled up with fuel.. not the whole tank buh a fair bit..

apparently the pet cock isnt the best for shttuing the fuel off and its normal. So i wasnt too worried and just started it up normally after n it was fine.

bloodmoney23
02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
well when standing your atv up......
1. Turn of fuel. (A little will drain from whats in carb)
2. Take a small screw and put it in the end of your overflow hose on your gas tank cap.
3. Buy starting fluid and shoot a small (SMALL) spray on your filter when you go to start it.
4. You will kick maybe 10-15 times but will start and wont lose all gas.

If you need a pic of the screw in hose or what hose it is or anything let me know. Im sure your not stupid so im not implying that. Also, the 450R's DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT like to be stood up. So try to refrain from standing it straight up too much. It takes for about 30 min of kicking sometimes just to get it started. By the time you get it started sometimes, your leg is so dead you dont even want to ride.

02-14-2008, 11:03 AM
The reason I mention the petcock is mine doesn't work. Even in the off position it just slows the flow down. I need a new one or to rebuild mine. If you can't shut off the fuel you will never be able to haul it standing up with gas in it. I would check that first. Also put up some pictures.

02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
here is another thought that i am throwing out...the off position of the petcock is in the middle of the petcock travel, one way is on and the other is reserve...maybe if you turned the petcock all the way, you put it on reserve instead of turning it off...

arTuReX
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Well we are not gonna put the Trx standing up anymore! so that wont happen again!
-bloodmoney23
I'm gonna try the bolt and the starting fluid, thanks!
-speedyquad
Thats the first thing i checked and im new on this soi know that wil be a normal mistake, but it was on off, so i know it wasnt that!.
i try to download pics but i couldnt!i'll take some more pics this weekend!
I wanna thank you guys for taking the time to help!hope to see you guys out there, keep it safe!

02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
email me the pictures
hondatrx450racer@aol.com

JimmyHoffa
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I wonder what happens to air filter oil and dirt when starter fluid is sprayed on it, and then air is immediately pulled through the filter...

If I have to use it (...which I hate to anyway, because it's terrible for your engine. This is true for almost any engine with regular starter spray.) I take off the filter, spray a little in, then snug the filter back up real quick and kick. If you nose your quad down a hill, starter spray will sit in your intake tube in a little puddle waiting to help your engine out.

Careful with sprays. There's no substitute for a properly tuned engine. I'm up to two rebuilds of quad/D-bike engines now that started on the second kick without sprays after I got them together.

Almost forgot. Drain your carb bowl before you stand it up, but after you turn the gas off. (obviously) I'm with bloodmoney. If you don't have to stand it up, don't. I don't know enough about the engine yet to explain why it's bad, but it seems wrong.

arTuReX
02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
JimmyHoffa
Thanks bro yeah im not gonna do that anymore!my friends LTR will go facing up mine will sit on 4 wheels!:)
It's funny how much you can learn in one weekend! i had no idea about quads a week a go and now i start to understand a lil bit more!
Thanks everyone again!

JimmyHoffa
02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Darn right. Learn all you can. Peek around the forums when you have spare time, and pack knowledge in your brain until it hurts. You'll be cracking cases open in no time.

We're all here to give you a hand. Our ideas may differ, but you can be sure that our collaborative opinion will be worlds more valuable than the average dealer's service department.

400exrider707
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
That small amount of gas you guys are seeing coming down the intake after shutting off the petcock is probably whatever was left in the bowl, drain the bowl next time too and you wont have that problem. Also note that if that gas comes down into your air filter, it's taking the filter oil off, so you should take that out clean it well and re-oil it. The gas will also eventually eat the glue that holds the filter together and it will fall apart. It is OK to stand a quad up like that, I do mine everytime I wash it to get at the mud from a different angle. Also make sure to let it sit for 10-15 minutes to make sure all the oil in the motor has made it's way back down to where it needs to be, BEFORE you start it up again.

Also when I do have to use starting fluid, I never spray it right at the filter or down the intake. I spray it all over inside the air box around the filter, without actually touching it. It is not good to use a lot of it, but when I do I make sure it goes through the filter first.