PDA

View Full Version : Foam vs Cotton/Paper air filter

jawalt
02-13-2008, 12:20 PM
On the DS450x (probably same on non X) it comes with a foam filter with pre-filter already installed. I have heard that foam filters are the best flowing though can have issue in sand. Is there really a benefit to changing from the stock foam filter to a cotton/paper if thats the case, or have I heard wrong :)

spanky101
02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
imo a foam filter is the only way to go man! No-toil has a dvd out showing the difference between a foam and gause filter, pretty cool stuff

Punk'd
02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Im running the Motoworks filter. I love it.

WatersRacing
02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Were using the Velocity filters and are really happy with them.

KwAdUp
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
ive always wanted to know what is the K&N? i have one, i just have never learned the physics on the filter and whats better

bwamos
02-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Foam filters (Uni, Twin-Air, etc..) all have excent filtration and good air flow.

Gauze filters (K&N, etc.) all have good filtration and excelent flow.

Foam had the better filtration while gauze has better flow. Those who talk about K&N's letting sand through are not oiling their filter correctly. I've been running my K&N's for 10 years on my atv in sand, dust, mud, water, silt, etc.. all w/o issue.

However, foam filters are MUCH easier to maintain correctly. A lot of folks do not oil their foam filters correctly either.

It's all about proper maintenance.

WatersRacing
02-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

However, foam filters are MUCH easier to maintain correctly. A lot of folks do not oil their foam filters correctly either.

It's all about proper maintenance.

I gotta disagree with that. Some foam filters you have to use special liquids to clean them and have to have a tub or something to submerge them in it. A lot of people dont get them oiled good enough because you have to actually kneed the oil into the filter by hand. And you have to have either disposable gloves or something else so you dont get the oil on your hands.

With a guaze filter you just spray the cleaner on with a can, house it off, let it dry, and spray oil back on with another can.

bwamos
02-14-2008, 01:08 PM
very true.

They both require special cleaners, and special oils designed specifically for each type.

In my experience, people are more likley to over oil or under oil k&n filters. And most shelf filter oils are designed for foam filters and a lot of folks tend to use them on k&n filters. The oil is not nearly tacky enough.

So I guess, with both of our experiences combined, it may be safe to say that a LOT of people don't maintiain either filter type correctly. ;)

If you do maintain them both correctly, now that you got me thinking about it, the foam does take more work. But I still think the k&n style is a little less "forgiving", perse'

KwAdUp
02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
how would i properly clean my K&N air filter?

bwamos
02-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Remove the filter.

Generously spray it down with K&N filter cleaner spray. (and for gods sake dont use gasoline or carb cleaner :huh)
Let it soak for about 5-10 minutes.
Turn the water hose onto a medium flow w/ no nozzle on the end, just let it pour.
Pour the water from the hose into the filter. You want to rinse it from the inside out.. this is very important. If you clean from the outside it just forces the dirt further in.
Once the filter is nice and white. Let it sit overnight and dry.
Use spray type k&n filter oil (important to use gause type filter oil it is tackier) and lightly spray the filter until the entire surface is the nice even purple color. Spray lightly like you are trying to spray paint it without any paint runs. I usually do it in 2 seperate sittings. Like doing 2 coats of paint. (dont get the kind that's in the shampoo style bottle, such a pain, get the hairspray type bottle)
Let it sit for a while so the oil can tack up before reinstalling.

When installing, clean the inside lip of the filter, and the filter mount w/ a cottonball and rubbing alcohol. Let that dry, then apply a small amount of grease help seal (Vaseline works fine). I like to apply it about 1/8" inside of the filter so there's some bare rubber left at the front edge to help grip.

It is VERY important to never use a powerwasher, a hose nozel, your thumb for spray pressure, or any non-gauze filter specific solvents as the high pressure can tear the gause, and the solvents can dissolve the glues.

I own 3 k&n filters. I always keep 2 spares pre-cleaned and bagged in a gallon size zip-lock baggie for use as needed. ;)

ds450
02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Whenever I get a quad I just throw the foam filter in my garage and never use it again. They are too much to clean and they are a mess. I love just using simple green or K&N cleaner on K&N filters or similar cotton filters! :)

Im thinking about getting a motoworks filter but I wasnt sure how good they work without oil? People having good luck with them?

nvrpmx
02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
The Motoworks filter works great,easy to clean,no oil and i think it performs better than any other filter we have ever used.You have to try one to see how much easier it is to use and how good they work.