PDA

View Full Version : Air Box

oldfartracer
02-13-2008, 07:46 AM
I see alot of post where people talk about putting a 400ex or a 450r air boots between the air box and the carb. Does the stock air boot not flow enough air. I also see talk of changing the air box or the filter, what is the best way to go??? Pro Design has a filter adapter, other companies have complete air boxes, which is the best??? Please give me some advice, thanks:D

kawi_rider_97
02-13-2008, 09:31 AM
well if price dosen't really concern you then you should probably go with an aluminum air box with a twin air power flow kit and a 450r intake boot.

indyZrider
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
depends on what you want out of your Z...the stock airbox is fine for the recreational rider. just get the pro design adapter and as far as the boot, the 400 ex boot is straighter and allows more flow but you only really need it if your running a bigger carb aftermarket cams and a big bore.

zracer16
02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I agree with Indy. I got a powerup kit(with Pro Design Billet adapter) from Magic Racing, but I don't remember what I paid for it.

oldfartracer
02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I am looking for as much power as possible. My son will be racing this machine at the GNC MX Nationals in the Schoolboy Sr. class.
I purchased the machine from a friend of ours, he bought it from Doug Gust, it was one of his practice bikes.
The engine is 400cc, 13.5 to 1 compression.
It has Yoshimura cams, Yoshi exhaust, Yoshi ported head.
It has a FCR carb and a K&N filter.
It has what looks to be a stock air box.
Full Roll Design suspension with Elkas.
Has anyone tried the ESR air box eliminator kit???
Thanks for your help.

zracer16
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
The ESR air box eliminator kit is what I use on my Z400 TT race quad, it does make a difference, the air filter is huge. I have similiar mods as yours except for Athena 435 big bore kit and lower compression. It pulled 41 HP and 36 TQ on the dyno.

cataway
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
as kawi_rider_97 said the 04 450r boot is sweet but dont expect
it to hook up to a stock air box and its a bit big to attach to a FCR
carb unless you have a RAT stack on the carb . the 06 450r boot is different ,no way to make it hook up to the stock box either but you dont need a RAT stack with that boot .
it seams to me a ds650 boot might work and of course theres ESR
and FCI has some thing to offer.
the 400ex boot will attach to the stock air box but you will have to cut the boot to make it shorter
my self i use the 450r boot but i dont have a air box

oldfartracer
02-19-2008, 11:44 AM
"bump"

zracer16
02-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I answered your question about the ESR kit. What else would you like to know? You can also look into a Danatek CDI, but can't say if it will add HP but it will allow the engine to rev higher. Honestly, there isn't much else except for Big Bore.