PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why?

QuadJunkies
02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Why is it that kids dont get Arm pump,and Adults do?

You rarely hear of younger kids getting pumped out until they are older.

I know My Daughter is suffering from it alot this year,but lack of seat time is some it Im sure .
she turned 14 this year and WHAM! It hit her just out of no where.

This might be a question for MotoX Nutrition or Cardio Stack ,but I thought Id ask...

wilkin250r
02-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Isn't it the same reason a 5yr-old can run for four hours straight?

QuadJunkies
02-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
lol Well.... one would think so .. :p

But Im betting in this instance, theres more to it than that .;)

Something more betabolic maybe?

my88r
02-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

lol, they just keep going at that age.

CannondaleRider
02-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Talk to Christian at Round 2....really, you'll come out overloaded with information. That guy SERIOUSLY knows his stuff, he'll give you a better answer then you could ever ask for I'm sure, lol.

He was explaining arm pump in general to me at Round 1....I didn't understand half of it, but it was cool as hell to learn about it. haha.

ccmuscle22
02-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Awe Chance, your making me blush. I can't wait to see you at round 2 in a couple of weeks. I hope you'll be there.

Tina, seat time will help Kelsey for sure.Or get her in the gym for some cardio training.Also, as we get older from childhood to adulthood, our increased bodyweight also play an increased oxygen need. Kids have a much higher cardiovascular threshold than adults really. kids are so active they really run around literally all the time. My 4 year just doesn't stop and get tired. Arms pump is about ATP/oxygen. I have a pro rider just getting back into practice awaiting the 2008 season and also getting used to his new bike. as suspected, his back took the most damage and goes right in line with what I preach. Functional back strength is extremely important in atv racing. i have our riders focus on this in the off season gym time.
Everytime you accelerate the bike essentially will pull away from you if it wasn't for you holding on. You back muscle are the primary muscles involved for this function. As your back tires, your arms (secondary muscles involved in action) will take over. Well, your dealing with a much smaller muscle group. Which in turn will fatigue even faster. Arms pump occurs from the result of the ATP/oxygen being depleted, hence why you start breathing heavier, it's your body's means of getting more, new fresh ATP/oxygen. The actual arm pump is the result of increased blood being pumped into the smaller arm muscle to re-oxygenate the muscle cells, drive out the lactic acid and ammonia by-product and continue to handle the progressive workload being demanded of it. the blood engourgment is "arm pump". unfortunately you still have run out of oxygen with the muscle as result of being able to turn over only so much new ATP within the allowed time.
If you've ever gone to the gym and performed weighted sets, if you take 2-3 minutes before returning to the next set, your going to be stronger again, if you return ony 30 seconds later, you'll still be weaker and not fully ready to perform the set at an optimal level. Same thing with racing. You don't get the rest required while riding to re-oxygenate your body. This is a main reason we took the first two endurance products and focused on improving ATP/oxygenation and delaying/buffering the lactic acid release process.

I know Troy mentioned Kelsey normally gets every weekend riding time during the winter still, but the bad weather has greatly reduced her riding time which has lessened her cardiovascular endurance early in the season. some seat time will improve this.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com

CannondaleRider
02-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by ccmuscle22
Awe Chance, your making me blush. I can't wait to see you at round 2 in a couple of weeks. I hope you'll be there.

Likewise, and I'll definately be at Mesquite.

AND, I actually went for a hard testing/practice run today... so it won't be another race, with a month or more of not riding, haha.

mephyst
02-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Come to think of it, when I was a kid ripping around on my cr80 I didn't nearly get the arm pump that I do now. I have a CRF450 now and after a few hard laps on the track I'm already feeling it. Have her stretch- that definitely helps!!

I don't get that horrible of arm pump on my quad though...

elmer91
02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
wow. i became smarter today. i experienced my first arm pump in october. wasnt much, just a little bit from trail riding.

bustedknuckle
02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Ive Been Told That If You Drink Pop,Or Coffie Or Any Caffeine Products. It Will Affect.You Also?My Son Is 18 And He Hassnt Ever Had Arm Pump.He Does Ride alot.We Only Drink Water, Or Cristal Light.

sunco
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Hurt my back in July - I'm 46 & that 50 footer doing a no footer & landing with my feet not on the pegs really hurt. Long story short. STRETCHING is the answer. Work the core of your body. Stretch everything you got & it will do you a world of good.:)

mx428
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ccmuscle22

Tina, seat time will help Kelsey for sure.Or get her in the gym for some cardio training.Also, as we get older from childhood to adulthood, our increased bodyweight also play an increased oxygen need. Kids have a much higher cardiovascular threshold than adults really. kids are so active they really run around literally all the time. My 4 year just doesn't stop and get tired. Arms pump is about ATP/oxygen. I have a pro rider just getting back into practice awaiting the 2008 season and also getting used to his new bike. as suspected, his back took the most damage and goes right in line with what I preach. Functional back strength is extremely important in atv racing. i have our riders focus on this in the off season gym time.
Everytime you accelerate the bike essentially will pull away from you if it wasn't for you holding on. You back muscle are the primary muscles involved for this function. As your back tires, your arms (secondary muscles involved in action) will take over. Well, your dealing with a much smaller muscle group. Which in turn will fatigue even faster. Arms pump occurs from the result of the ATP/oxygen being depleted, hence why you start breathing heavier, it's your body's means of getting more, new fresh ATP/oxygen. The actual arm pump is the result of increased blood being pumped into the smaller arm muscle to re-oxygenate the muscle cells, drive out the lactic acid and ammonia by-product and continue to handle the progressive workload being demanded of it. the blood engourgment is "arm pump". unfortunately you still have run out of oxygen with the muscle as result of being able to turn over only so much new ATP within the allowed time.
If you've ever gone to the gym and performed weighted sets, if you take 2-3 minutes before returning to the next set, your going to be stronger again, if you return ony 30 seconds later, you'll still be weaker and not fully ready to perform the set at an optimal level. Same thing with racing. You don't get the rest required while riding to re-oxygenate your body. This is a main reason we took the first two endurance products and focused on improving ATP/oxygenation and delaying/buffering the lactic acid release process.

I know Troy mentioned Kelsey normally gets every weekend riding time during the winter still, but the bad weather has greatly reduced her riding time which has lessened her cardiovascular endurance early in the season. some seat time will improve this.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com I skipped all of the responses and typed a very similar reply before seeing yours, i'm glad someone on here finally knows what they're talking about. Arm pump is a lot more complicated then just holding on looser to the bars.

ccmuscle22
02-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by bustedknuckle
Ive Been Told That If You Drink Pop,Or Coffie Or Any Caffeine Products. It Will Affect.You Also?My Son Is 18 And He Hassnt Ever Had Arm Pump.He Does Ride alot.We Only Drink Water, Or Cristal Light.
I do suggest staying away from these if possible. Anytime you use a central nervous system stimulant which are contained in soda,coffee and of course any caffeine product, you raise your heart rate. When you raise your heart rate your body begins to use ATP/oxygen quicker, even if your just sitting there. So add that to a MX or off road race with the added adrenalean nervous enviroment, and you can see why you'd get tired quicker. Caffeine is great for short burst events. but not MX when your getting a aerobic and anaerobic workout at the same time for 60 minutes.

Water is best. Even crystal light or other flavored waters I suggest staying away from on a race weekend. The best way to flavor those for companies is taking it in a citric direction. Using of course citric acid. which will also turn the muscle blood pH into a acidic direction, possibly making fatigue and arm pump come on quicker.

I hope this all has been helpful. Great questions.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com

QuadJunkies
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I knew Id get a super answer! :D
Thanks Christian for taking the time to explain things... Kelsey and I both talked about her back and what you told me at the track,she was actually as surprised by it as I was! lol

Seat time-were working on that. Weather has picked up a little,so were squeezing in as many wk ends as possible from hear on out. I THINK the winter hump might be over(knock on wood! lol)
It was the lactic acid and amonia that I couldnt remember that was in there somewhere. :p
I find it all very interesting actually..
Thanks again!

Rip_Tear
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Wow, that was very informative. Now I understand why I barely get arm pump... I've worked my back ever since I was small (didn't have a choice for the stuff I wanted to do...) and the doctors have said about my back being well built. All I drink is water, except for the occasional fruit drink.

I also have Asthma, and the only time I notice arm pump is if I have to get off my quad a lot to get unstuck or help other people (when I get out of breath).

02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Read every post and still don't get it..... What's "arm pump"? lol. Are you guys talking about like if you work out your arms get all pumped up and seem bigger than they actually are during the work out?

trx400EXtreme
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
have you ever riddin' so long that you can barely push the throttle????/ that's basicly arm pump. you just loose all streangth it seems like. ive had it at the dunes before and it makes it hard to ride.

timmybreakitall
02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Christian with MOTO-X knows the ins and outs of human performance. He drew up a plan for me for the PIAA 8hr race.
I followed them to the "T" and my fastest laps were after the 7hr mark.
At 38 yrs old running the pro class in WORCS I didn't know if I could keep running with the big dogs , but Christian "dialed" me in.
Any question regarding rider physics ....Christian's your man!

02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
you say about only drinking water but im just wondering what about drinking milk? does that do anything negative?... all i drink is water and milk

Wills 77

ccmuscle22
02-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by D6MX450R
you say about only drinking water but im just wondering what about drinking milk? does that do anything negative?... all i drink is water and milk

Wills 77
Hey Cody,
Milk is fine. actually, the calcium from the milk is an alkaline mineral and can help a bit with acidosis. I don't mean switch and drink lots of milk, but it's fine.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition

ccmuscle22
02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by timmybreakitall
Christian with MOTO-X knows the ins and outs of human performance. He drew up a plan for me for the PIAA 8hr race.
I followed them to the "T" and my fastest laps were after the 7hr mark.
At 38 yrs old running the pro class in WORCS I didn't know if I could keep running with the big dogs , but Christian "dialed" me in.
Any question regarding rider physics ....Christian's your man!
Awe Timmy! For those of you who don't know the famous "TPQ", he's the ultimate example of professionalism and all around fantastic guy. Tim Shelman #8 always has my favorite rider vote! Look out for this guy to show how fast he really is this year. This is the type of rider I of hoped of working with when I started this company. If you ever have the chance to attend a WORCS race with Tim, be sure to say hi, you'll be inspired as a fellow racer.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com

QuadJunkies
02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
The whole Shelman family is great people .
:)
Timmy is my favorite photo poser! :D :blah: lol

JRP
02-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Hey christian, Is there a way you can make a good diet plan and workout routine for me? I have a full gym to work with. Right now my diet is all good. Protien, no carbs late at night, no sweets, sodas, etc... My workout routines are like 3 times a week, i do long atleast 1hr cardio runs, bikes, rows. Then 2 other times a week i do something comprable to this....

http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer/PSworkout.html

thanks man!

HondaEXrider22
02-14-2008, 06:58 AM
I am 17 and i honestly dont even know what arm pump is...haha. But then again, I ride probably 4/7 days a week and drink only water/gatorade. Sorry I had to brag

sunco
02-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Arm pump is for when you have short arms. You get an arm pump , pump & your arms are longer. Its like the carpentry bussiness - when you cut a board to short then you get a board stretcher. Now you have the correct lenght and you just saved a trip to homer.

QuadJunkies
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by sunco
Arm pump is for when you have short arms. You get an arm pump , pump & your arms are longer. Its like the carpentry bussiness - when you cut a board to short then you get a board stretcher. Now you have the correct lenght and you just saved a trip to homer.

:p

I remember my 1st time with arm pump and it was BAD!
I was at an MX race and it was really cold in the morning(which didnt help muscles any either Im sure!)it was everything in me to hang on for the last lap, and when I pulled off, I couldnt even get my fingers off the grips. The burn in my arms was sooo freakin bad!My forearms and thumb was hard for almost 2 hours! I hurt for several days after as well. Im still not sure why it was that mad that day, but shortly after that, I got arm pump all the time and back then I actually rode alot.
Id even get it when FT racing . lol

At least now I have an excuse...

-out of shape.:uhoh:
lol

KXRida
02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
arm pump can also occur as a result of inflammation of the interosseous membranes between the radius and the ulna. Stretching this and massaging this helps relieve arm pump. This is coming from personal experience and extensive communication with a very well known massage therapist in chicago. Like I said, this massage helps me deal with my arm pump relativley well.