PDA

View Full Version : best front end?

larrY5933
02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
im going to start racing mx pretty soon and i was wandering what type of front end would be best for me under 1500??

gimp419
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
You want shocks and arms?

$1500 isn't gonna buy you a very good shock/arm combo.

larrY5933
02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
no i dont need shocks

national425ex
02-13-2008, 08:41 AM
ATV Four Play

yfzrider45
02-13-2008, 08:43 AM
i have elka/jansen

ohsobad_chevy
02-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Go with a long travel walsh setup.......their products are top notch!!
;)

rob-u/21
02-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by larrY5933
no i dont need shocks

What shocks do you have now? Stock? Long Travel?

larrY5933
02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
thanks for the help

kawiefan
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
herrman racing has long travel a arms for 850

larrY5933
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
whats there website?

spanky101
02-13-2008, 01:00 PM
lsr usually has high quality stuff for a lower price then most. Definatly look into them man

ben300
02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
What do you mean that you dont need shocks? Do you already have them? You need a decent shock setup to race MX seriously..

If your looking to spend 1500, the walsh long travel aarms, the g33's....they're top notch, great quality, and will work with the 18.5" shocks....

also the new houser aarms are real nice as well..

or you could just stick with proven technology and get lonstars or laegers..

larrY5933
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
im gonna buy shocks later on when i get more money

ben300
02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
larry, do you plan on strapping long travel a-arms on your ride without long travel shocks at first?

larrY5933
02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
no im just gonna buy parts as i get money an put them all on at once

BlaineKaiser450
02-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Motowoz/SMC. 1600 for the entire front end. also, they are the best shocks on the market and great a arms.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/Pictures10-14-06133-2.jpg

www.smcfabrication.com tell em Blaine Kaiser sent you

larrY5933
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
1600 for the shocks and a-arms??

mx4christ
02-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Motowoz/SMC. 1600 for the entire front end. also, they are the best shocks on the market and great a arms.

Maybe for the price they are the best but I highly doubt they outperform the PEP PB1 shocks but then again the PB1's are $2,000 for the shocks alone.
What other suspension manufacturers have you compared the Motowoz to?

300ex_#387
02-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by ben300
What do you mean that you dont need shocks? Do you already have them? You need a decent shock setup to race MX seriously..

If your looking to spend 1500, the walsh long travel aarms, the g33's....they're top notch, great quality, and will work with the 18.5" shocks....

also the new houser aarms are real nice as well..

or you could just stick with proven technology and get lonstars or laegers..

:macho

ben300
02-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
:macho

nice bike....how do you like the floats with those aarms?

korniev
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Motowoz / SMC is absolutely the best combo money can buy!!!
Why pay over 1k for arms alone? Arms are not creatures from another planet, they are just 4 pieces of metal of a proper geometry, so in fact I was very impressed with their quality when I received them. Motowoz shocks are just very high quality shocks made from aircraft materials......
Seriously, I mean I am not saying Elka, Fox, Peps and others are not good, I am just trying to let people try Motowoz, cause they are in fact amazing!

BlaineKaiser450
02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by mx4christ
Maybe for the price they are the best but I highly doubt they outperform the PEP PB1 shocks but then again the PB1's are $2,000 for the shocks alone.
what i meant was they were the best of shocks that an average rider could afford

300ex_#387
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I love my floats!! It gives you so many more options to fine tune your shocks yourself. I think the Fox shocks have a fairly good price for what you get when you start comparing them to other companies like PEP, Elka, and Custom Axis. All together my front end was about $2300 and I wouldnt have it any other way.

As far as the price on my A arms yes they are a bit more expensive, but they also back there product very well. (Not saying SMC doesnt back their product) Customer service is a huge plus when I decide on what parts I buy. Plus how long has Walsh been around??

kawiefan
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by larrY5933
whats there website?
www.herrmannracing.com

ben300
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I love my floats!! It gives you so many more options to fine tune your shocks yourself. I think the Fox shocks have a fairly good price for what you get when you start comparing them to other companies like PEP, Elka, and Custom Axis. All together my front end was about $2300 and I wouldnt have it any other way.

As far as the price on my A arms yes they are a bit more expensive, but they also back there product very well. (Not saying SMC doesnt back their product) Customer service is a huge plus when I decide on what parts I buy. Plus how long has Walsh been around??

ya the walsh's are damn good quality...if i wasnt in school and had the money, i'd put those on my bike. ive been a big fan of them for quite awhile......i believe in the old addage that you get what you pay for

TRX450RACER174
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I will add another happy Fox customer to the list. I love mine very easy to setup and adjust for different tracks.
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/lt80_019_00.jpg

jacobw
02-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by mx4christ
What other suspension manufacturers have you compared the Motowoz to?

pep uses works parts and charges and outragous price custom axis and the fox evol floats are just as good or better and you dont have to pay the price and the pb1 you are just paying more for the piggy back its like paying for custom axis ti springs its not really worth the extra price and motowoz shock are very well setup, just as good as the pep shocks, pep shocks are fading they dont have any new technology here in a few years coil springs will go and it will be all air shocks. so you saying spending 2k for a pair of front shocks will not make them better than any other high end shock custom axis, fox, ohlins, motowoz all make high end shocks that are cheaper then pep shocks, look at brandon sommers he runs gt thunder rebuilds and they work just as good as the other guys running axis, elka, ohlins etc, its not the brand of shock or the price its the internal parts setup up correctly and baldwin is not the only shock company that know how to setup and shock that works flawless.

Ex_Rider43
02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I dont agree with you jacob , ive ridden pretty much every different setup out there except for axis and everytime I ride something with PEP's on .. I tell myself WOW that the best thing ever!

No elka shocks can compare to them , Fox is what I have tho and i gotta say that they feel similar to PEP.

Stadium is also a very smooth shock , lots of adjustements on them too.

jacobw
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
peps are nice shocks but i have rode about everything out there also and my axis are buy far the smoothest i have rode and I would imagine the fox are just and good, and I have spoke with another pro rider kenny cambell from new jersey and he has rode axis, pep and the others too and his favorites are a custom set of OHLINS from pro pilot racing so and I am sure those are smooth also any high end shocks are gonna be really close if they are setup for the rider. And if you cant get fox air shocks dialed in that is your own fualt they have limitless adjustments and from what I have heard from many pros the smoothest shocks on the market.

jacobw
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
and when people go buy shocks they jump on thier buddies bike and ride his suspension after his has adjusted it and they say ohhhh that feels good then they buy it for thier machine automatically thinking its gonna feel the same when it may not. to get a idea of how good suspension brands are you would need to ride it back to back on the same machine with the same brands of arms and linkages and then see how it really felt to say on was better than the other, i dont see that many sets of PEP floating around anymore I see alot of ohlins,axis,fox and elkas, some progressive and stadium,motowoz in the mix, i know people used to rave on and on about them when pep and works was about the only 2 back in the good old days but there is alot more suspension companies with products just as good and cheaper than pep.

Now i agree no elkas will compare not because of the components because they use good internals is just they dont not set the shocks up its a generic setup just. Elkas are just a budget shock to get something better than stockers, not your high end race shocks.

jeepnrocks
02-15-2008, 04:18 PM
There are a lot of quality combinations out there. From personal experience I would avoid Walsh. I work for a dealership here in PA and my experience with WALSH was the absolute worst I have had in 2 years of dealing with every aftermarket company and distributor imaginable. So even if they do make nice stuff (making a-arms isn't exactly rocket science) keep in mind that if you need follow up service that it may not be what your expecting. You want to talk to some great guys that really know their stuff and make a high quality product? Give herrmann racing a call

kawiefan
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
There are a lot of quality combinations out there. From personal experience I would avoid Walsh. I work for a dealership here in PA and my experience with WALSH was the absolute worst I have had in 2 years of dealing with every aftermarket company and distributor imaginable. So even if they do make nice stuff (making a-arms isn't exactly rocket science) keep in mind that if you need follow up service that it may not be what your expecting. You want to talk to some great guys that really know their stuff and make a high quality product? Give herrmann racing a call
i'll back herrmann on that

jacobw
02-15-2008, 04:23 PM
ars-fx has been real bad lately i cannot get any a-arm bushings for my yfz and when i got my arms one did not have a cross brace and had to send it back and the bushing was loose after one race and like i said i cannot seem to get any bushings and I need a handle bar clamp for me stem and cant seem to get one of those either and both are on order and have been for about 2 weeks on the clamp a month and half on the bushings

Ex_Rider43
02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Id love to try a set of Axis shocks... nobody has them here in canada... they are pretty expensive too and they also have many models to choose from I think. The Pro-air shocks from them looks really good. I heard they like to sponsor pro-am and pro riders so maybe i should send them my resume ;)

About walsh I have them for 2 years and these guys are really cool. Never had a bad experience with them and when I had issues with one of their swingarms they were very helpful and they listen to the customer which is something I like from a company.

You probably had your bad experience when they were moving from CT to Florida :confused:

ben300
02-16-2008, 09:52 AM
..i not certain, but i'd be pretty sure that with any company, there is some one out there that loves that company, and then there is gonna be some one out there just as well who does not like a company through a bad experience or what not...

pretty much all of teh top of the line aarms are probably about the same, you couldnt go wrong with any of them