PDA

View Full Version : Powerjet Carb

stylenb
02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
I see these 38mm airstryker power jets all over ebay, it possible to use on a 250r?

Either using the power jet or not, cause I do have a CR250 ignition?

wilkin250r
02-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Send us a link or auction number

my88r
02-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by stylenb
I see these 38mm airstryker power jets all over ebay, it possible to use on a 250r?

Either using the power jet or not, cause I do have a CR250 ignition?

i would stick to regular jets.:macho

kiesta00
02-13-2008, 01:00 AM
The term "powerjet" usually refers to an alcohol setup carburetor that uses an extra jet to allow more fuel flow into the intake tract. That extra jet is called the powerjet.

You don't need a powerjet unless you're running methanol.

86 Quad R
02-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by kiesta00

or any all out engine thats been setup totally for drag or hill shooting with a huge bore carb. race fuel or alkee

if setup correctly. power jets can also be used on a typical engine thats subject to varying temps/elevation changes. makes it easier to WOT plug chop the the climate changes.

stylenb
02-13-2008, 08:13 AM
The Carb is off an 99 Cr250, its a pwk 38mm airstryker, but I pretty sure it has the extra needle (powerjet) that sticks into the intake trac(airbox side). I did buy it, took a chance.....price was right.

just hoping I made the right decision

86 Quad R
02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
as long as the carb and power jet is in tip top shape and you jet the main jet properly as per a WOT plug chop then you should be fine.

to test the functionability of the power jet. plug chop the main as you normally would with the power jet "shut off, having the plug color so that it is "slightly" lean (almost yellow) and then do test plug chops as you open power jet.

can ya post a pic of the carb?

stylenb
02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Item number: 300198355396

The auction is still live, Although It will be ended soon. I got it for 85.00?

I can't see the powerjet in the picture, however I thought the cr250 had them in this year.

number5
02-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Those power jets sold on ebay have a knob that can be adjusted. The lectron carbs come with powerjet that use a slow jet. I would think in the end the slowjet or idle jet type would be what you want. What do they say "set it and forget it" I guess a hill shooter though your always going to be screwing with fuel delievery anyway.

number5
02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Item number: 300198355396

The auction is still live, Although It will be ended soon. I got it for 85.00?

I can't see the powerjet in the picture, however I thought the cr250 had them in this year.

You stumbled across a well used 38mm airstriker quad vent carb. I say well used because of the dark orange vent hoses and worn cap. Then again it might work as if it were new.

wilkin250r
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by kiesta00
The term "powerjet" usually refers to an alcohol setup carburetor that uses an extra jet to allow more fuel flow into the intake tract. That extra jet is called the powerjet.

The term "powerjet" applies to any carburetor that uses a controlled jet that can be turned on an off, thus having some sort of "power" applied to the jet to activate it.

Normal 2-stroke carbs will get rich in the upper RPM. The same jetting that is spot-on at 6000 rpm will be really rich at 8000 rpm, and you can't adjust it because it's all the same throttle position (WOT). The overly-rich mixture will cause a drop in power.

To fix this, some carburetors come with a small secondary jet that can be turned off at high RPM. This allows the carburetor to have two different mixtures at the same throttle position, the secondary jet obviously having some sort of power applied to it to activate it. Without an overly-rich mixture at high RPM, the power stays strong in that range.

You would have to do some research and extensive dyno testing in order to be able to utilize the benefits of a powerjet carb, but in conjunction with an aftermarket ignition with RPM-controlled outputs, you can see power gains in the upper revs.

86 Quad R
02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Item number: 300198355396 I can't see the powerjet in the picture, however I thought the cr250 had them in this year.

you may want to request alternate pics of the carb. i may be wrong here but, the pic of that carb is showing a regular carb.

here is what the cr carb looks like 300198443064

and just so you know. the cr carb cant be made to function on the trx as it would on the cr. you would need a carb that has a manual adjusted power jet.

number5
02-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The term "powerjet" applies to any carburetor that uses a controlled jet that can be turned on an off, thus having some sort of "power" applied to the jet to activate it.

Normal 2-stroke carbs will get rich in the upper RPM. The same jetting that is spot-on at 6000 rpm will be really rich at 8000 rpm, and you can't adjust it because it's all the same throttle position (WOT). The overly-rich mixture will cause a drop in power.

To fix this, some carburetors come with a small secondary jet that can be turned off at high RPM. This allows the carburetor to have two different mixtures at the same throttle position, the secondary jet obviously having some sort of power applied to it to activate it. Without an overly-rich mixture at high RPM, the power stays strong in that range.

You would have to do some research and extensive dyno testing in order to be able to utilize the benefits of a powerjet carb, but in conjunction with an aftermarket ignition with RPM-controlled outputs, you can see power gains in the upper revs.

I think a power jet adds a lot more fuel when the slide meets the same level or gets close too the end of the powerjet tube.

matt250r21
02-13-2008, 09:45 AM
1997 and 1998 CR250 came with the powerjet carb. Those were the only 2 years the carb came stock on those bikes. The powerjet on those 2 years is controlled by the ignition. I would think if you got an ESR adapter plate, the complete 97-98 CR250 ignition as well as the powerjet carb, it could be made to work on the 250R. Only reason I have not tried it is because the 97-98 CR250 ignitions are analog as apposed to the 00-01 CR digital ignitions.

stylenb
02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I believe this is not a Cr250 carb, I mean there are no electronics on it? The power jet is electronic on all the newer cr250s? Maybe the 1999 came with the Mikuni TMX and they upgraded to the PWk. Who knows

I will know for sure when it gets here :)

If it is just a regular airstryker, what is the best needle to start with it?

Has anyone ever tried the 97-98 setup, using the Cr250 ignition and powerjet carb?

regg187
02-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Looking at the picture, you couldn't see if the little selinoid is there because its on the side they don't show. The air side is shown and you can't see the tube going into the air intake. The tube usually sticks into the middle of the carb from the opposite side from the fuel entry. The picture just might not show enough of the air side to see if its there but I remeber it coming in twords the half way point between the far back an the slide. so maybe, maybe not.

I just pulled out the selinoid and put in a plug and cut off and crimped the tube

works fine

rebelbanshee
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
My YZ250 has a powerjet, it shuts off at 8500 RPM