PDA

View Full Version : Tether Switch

LT250_JOE
02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I finally got my service manual(waited 5 weeks). While looking at the wire diagram, there is a picture of a plug for an optional kill/ tether. I asked a local dealer and they have no listing for one. It is even mentioned in another section. Has anyone heard of this or know part #? Maybe a carryover/error from 500? The manual is 2007 Outlaw specific: p/n 9921126. I'll scan page and post later, manual in garage and I'm getting hammered with an ice storm.

GE4x4
02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
That just shows that the Outlaw is pre-wired for a tether if needed. Pro-Armor makes a nice one for $25. Very easy to install with 2 male plugs.

willb
02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
LTJOE helping again. I would love to see that page.

GE I have been wanting that kill switch, everytime I go to order it on RockyMountain it is out of stock.

Thanks LT and GE

LT250_JOE
02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
That just shows that the Outlaw is pre-wired for a tether if needed. Pro-Armor makes a nice one for $25. Very easy to install with 2 male plugs.

I understand its prewired, but can you get a factory tether? Did the pro-armor plug right into factory plug, or did you have to make modifications. I'm just looking for the cleanest install. Thanks for the reply.

GE4x4
02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Polaris did make a tether for the pred, but wasn't much different then what is on there mini quads. Just a plug over a button. Not the best for racing in the woods as it won't take much to pull it off. The Pro Armor ot Pro Design are much better quality. All you need to do is get 2 male elec ends and plug into the existing plug. It doesn't even matter which goes where. Then I electric tape it to keep out the mud.

willb
02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I have the body off now as I am changing my JD around and putting on the exhaust. Where is this plug at?

GE4x4
02-14-2008, 03:55 AM
The little brown box that has 2 slots on the end. Should be right in front of the steeering stem on left side sitting on the quad.

LT250_JOE
02-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks GE.

I'll still post pics from manual when I have a chance.

LT250_JOE
02-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I tried scanning pages, but when I resize for posting it is not legible. I tried taking pics w/camera but those look worse.

From diag it is a two prong connector with 1 brown wire and two black wires piggybacked into second terminal.

Blazerman
04-11-2008, 12:43 AM
My brother inlaw just got a polaris tether kill swith that just plugged in to were you are talking about. I have not seen it yet but he said he ordered it on line from polaris and it is for there snowmobiles, he said you have to search for tether switch for it to show up.

400exrider_ed
04-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Yes is the exact same tether the snowmobiles use about 30 bucks and like someone mentioned its a red rubber cap over a button thats not the best set-up for atv racing. It looks just like the old school gunner tethers quads had in the late 80's. And the snowmobile one plugs into the factory harness, and is designed to be installed on the hoods flat spot across from the key switch kinda out of easy reach, it can be found by looking one up from a 2007 IQ 440 and you'll find it.

sleddog66
04-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Hey Joe. Part number is 2874379. I got this 1 year ago, so make sure it is still a good number. The one thing to watch out for is that some teathers are "normally open", and some are "normally closed" circuits. Can't remember which way the outlaw is(like I said, it's been 1 year). It did plug right into the harness.

On a side note, I have read a few posts where your dealer has taken forever to repair things, and get parts for you. I think you need a new dealer. IMO:huh

LT250_JOE
04-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the part #/info. I'll look into that setup. I'm not doing any visible mods until my extended warranty expires.

Yeah my dealer takes forever, but if its free-its for me. Thats why I have a second quad.

j.fort 8
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
i have a predator so im not sure if this is the same for you, but my pro design killswitch splices with the black wire with a red stripe going down it, that wire is coming out of the headlight/starter casing/unit. then i loosened a bolt by the fuel line in the front and tightened the ground under it.