PDA

View Full Version : Steel Mx

400exrider707
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I know a lot of you guys here are sponsored by steel mx, and I feel I should share my story with you guys. I have been a sponsored rider since 2006. Since becoming a sponsored rider, I've made three purchases. My first purchase was a set of goggles, a pack of tear offs, and an extra lens, as a trial to test their products. My stuff arrived in normal time, no big deal. I wasn't overly impressed with the finish of the goggles (dried glue stuck on the frame) but wasn't overly concerned with it and I fixed it myself. No big deal. This past christmas I ordered two pairs of sunglasses and one pair of goggles. One of the sunglass pairs had black marks on the white frames. It was under the clear coat on the physical frame. I was not happy, as it was a christmas gift (hello do you have a quality and control department...) so I gave them to my girl anyways so she would have something. After she got them I pointed out the markings on them and stated we needed to send them back. We contaced Steel MX about exchanging the glasses. Waited.... Waited some more.... finally someone emailed us back. This was nearly two weeks after. We were told to just ship them back with a note, or an email explaining the issue (didn't we already do that?) so email sent, glasses sent back, with delivery confirmation. A couple days later we get a phone call about the message we left... uh hello, this issue has already been resolved... The glasses were shipped out and delivered on January 17th, 2008. Since then we call once a week, and have given up on leaving messages. We have also emailed them twice. Still no response. I can not believe the lack of support, especially for a sponsored rider. How on earth does a new company not at least return a call, how do they expect to stay in business. (I have a pretty big mouth and a lot of contacts...) I can understand a company, especially a fairly young one, being busy during the holiday season, but here we are middle of February now and they cant so much as return a phone call. They were pretty quick to take my money for products and they were prompt on initial shipment, I guess they just dont have the whole customer service part down yet. I dont even care if they're out of stock for the next year, I just want a phone call telling me so... this is getting absolutely ridiculous, and I plan on contacting the Better Business Bureau by the end of the month if I dont have any response by then. I feel I have been very patient in waiting for this. I just want to put this out there as a warning for all you guys who think they are great. I like their goggles and their sunglasses, but their lack of customer service is driving me to the point of posting every place and as many times as I know how to let everyone and anyone know about this. I know they post bulletins nearly every day on myspace, I think I might start the same, with a link right to this page...

Thanks for you time.

Mike -707-

SRH
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
you want some cheese for that wine

eastside 400
02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
im not saying what they did was right but ive dealt with numerous companies that dont have any customer service, i guess when you became a sponsored rider you dont really read contracts or anything. You are supposed to promote the product in a professional manner which means that if you have a problem keep it to yourself and resolve it with them and not bash the company online. Everytime a pro's motor blow's up they dont start bashing the motor builder after a race, they fix the problem and go on like it never happened. This is the problem when these companies mass sponsor riders, the riders dont keep their end of the deal and just run their mouth. Grow up.

trxwannbe
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
im not saying what they did was right but ive dealt with numerous companies that dont have any customer service, i guess when you became a sponsored rider you dont really read contracts or anything. You are supposed to promote the product in a professional manner which means that if you have a problem keep it to yourself and resolve it with them and not bash the company online. Everytime a pro's motor blow's up they dont start bashing the motor builder after a race, they fix the problem and go on like it never happened. This is the problem when these companies mass sponsor riders, the riders dont keep their end of the deal and just run their mouth. Grow up.

pros don't open their mouth because they aren't used to bad support and some companies just couldn't give a crap about who they sponsor they only do it to get their name out there and make more money. some of the recent responses on these forums have been ridiculous lately and i'm not gonna say mine are any better, but people need to stop being so aggresive especially in these situations. all he did was share a story about bad customer response and your jumping on him for not upholding his end of a contract the you have nothing to do with and know nothing about

02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty much sure "Steelmx" is run out of some guys basement.

NJ450rider
02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1

Yeah i always thought the same thing. There so eager to give out sponsorships to get there name out cause the product sucks. I wouldnt wear there goggles if they gave em to me for free.

400exrider707
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

I have no problem promoting them as I have thoroughly in the past, but that is when they hold up their end of the agreement. I've tried resolving this since christmas if you can read. Pro's get paid a good amount to tell everyone how good their stuff is. I cant even get a pair of $90 sunglasses that I've already paid for, and this company doesn't even have the decency to return a simple email or phone call. As far as I'm concerned my sponsorship is now null and void, and if I dont get my glasses by the end of the month, I'm reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. I'm not whining to anyone here, just letting you know my personal experience with them. Sorry for taking the time to warn fellow riders about a sub-par company. I'm sure if any of you got ripped off like this, most of you wouldn't even hold your cool this long, I think I've been more than fair with them, but my patience is wearing thin.

Also I'm not the only one to have problems with them. I see comments getting posted to their myspace asking them to please answer emails...

400exrider707
02-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Everytime a pro's motor blow's up they dont start bashing the motor builder after a race, they fix the problem and go on like it never happened.

You said it yourself... they fix the problem and go on like it never happened... steelmx is NOT fixing the problem... It doesn't take months to return an email or phone call. At least call me and tell me you're not sending me my glasses, I would be happier than I am now.

treake
02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Since it doesn't appear you will be getting what you ordered, have you called your credit card company to see if you can dispute the charges? I think some cards give you up to 6 months or so to dispute the charges. Just a thought.

RedneckRacing18
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Im sponserd by them to havent had any bad luck withem....i got goggles shirt and 2 pacets of stickers got everything with in 2weeks

quadboy38
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
this will be my 2nd year with steel mx and i have ordered with them many many times now and i have never had a problem at all. i know of some others who are also sponsored and have also had very good luck with them. as the saying goes, you cant please them all!

400exrider707
02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I always got everything I ordered on time, it wasn't until I had to return something that I had a major issue. Firstly these glasses (nor my first pair of goggles I ordered that I just didn't think to much of at first) should have even made it to shipping to send my way. What kind of quality control do they have? Obviously none. A good company wouldn't ship out a defective part... and if they did, they would certainly make good on it. Honestly all I'm looking for is a return phone call or email. I cant get either. Even if the guy called me and told me I wouldn't get the glasses until 2010, that would make me happier than I am now, but he wont and I have nothing now.

I cant call and dispute this with my credit card company, I dont think anyways. I ordered this stuff mid december, we're now in mid february, its two months later, and the order on the card was for multiple items, not just these shades. I honestly just want the sunglasses, its not even about the money, its about the time I've wasted trying to contact them.

For all of you who say you have received your orders promptly, and enjoy your Steel MX stuff. Here's a game for you to play. Try calling them to talk to someone... about anything. Tell them you want more stickers, or tell them you like their stuff.... see if you can even get a single person on the phone... it doesn't happen.

REDRIDDER
02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
(i guess when you became a sponsored rider you dont really read contracts or anything. You are supposed to promote the product in a professional manner which means that if you have a problem keep it to yourself and resolve it with them and not bash the company online.).......................................... .................................................. .................A sponsored rider usually doesn't pay $90 bucks of his own money for sunglasses and then doesn't receive them in a timely manner....your telling me that he should promote their products when they cant even get a pair of $90 sunglasses to him, I'm sorry but that's crap and very poor sponsorship on their part.

400exrider707
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I also want to note that they refused to pay for the return shipping and that too came out of my pocket...

As far as I'm concerned THEY (steel MX) broke our sponsorship agreement. I apologize if any of this offends any of you, I'm just sharing my story, if you dont like it then keep buying from them, but dont say I didn't warn you. I still like their goggles, but I wont buy another pair.

REDRIDDER .... hey haven't seen you in a while, what's new?

REDRIDDER
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
(REDRIDDER .... hey haven't seen you in a while, what's new?)
notta thing really lol...now that my ex is a 426 with a high compression piston its a ***** to start when its cold out and the plug is in need of a change hahahaha.well sorry to hear that your sponsorship is doing this to this to you a (sponsored rider) guess id be taking my business elsewhere you know? It seems like IMO that sponsors nowadays want you to promote them, race all over gods creation and win with as little of help from them but still make them(sponsors) look good, not that this really applies to you so much but as a whole in off-road racing in general.

400exrider707
02-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
(REDRIDDER .... hey haven't seen you in a while, what's new?)
notta thing really lol...now that my ex is a 426 with a high compression piston its a ***** to start when its cold out and the plug is in need of a change hahahaha.well sorry to hear that your sponsorship is doing this to this to you a (sponsored rider) guess id be taking my business elsewhere you know? It seems like IMO that sponsors nowadays want you to promote them, race all over gods creation and win with as little of help from them but still make them(sponsors) look good, not that this really applies to you so much but as a whole in off-road racing in general.

I couldnt' agree more, it's mostly these little small start up companies though. I would never expect this kind of business from smith or scott goggles. Whatever, I got crapped on by these guys, and thought I would share with the ATV community. Support those that support you!

400exrider707
02-16-2008, 06:39 PM
UPDATE:

SteelMX finally got back to me...

maybe it was a combination of the phone message, the sligtly more aggrivated email (I was still polite) and the comment on their myspace page...

either way, here is what they responded back with

THE RETURN HAS BEEN PROCESSED. EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY HAVE RETURNED THEM 3
WEEKS AGO, THEY GO TO THE POST OFFICE. SOMEONE PICKS UP ALL MAIL FROM THE
POST OFFICE ON FRIDAY. SO THEN THEY FINALLY GET TO OUR OFFICE THE FOLLOWING
WEEK. THEN WE HAVE TO PROCESS THE RETURN. WE DO HAVE THE SUNGLASSES AND
THEY SHOULD BE SHIPPING OUT TO YOU TOMORROW. YOU SHOULD SEE YOUR
REPLACEMENT SET WITHIN A FEW MORE DAYS. SORRY FOR THE DELAY.

I find it rather humorous. We shipped the glasses with delivery confirmation, they arrived at their location 3 weeks ago, that's not when we shipped them... secondly who only picks up mail once a week, especially when you're expecting returns? Third, what part of the return do you have to process? There was no paperwork involved, no RMA number... nothing. Just our name on the box. Should be shipping out tomorrow ( which would mean they shipped this past friday) so now we play the waiting game...

Also please note we are only one state away. I live in NY, they're located in NJ...

Now let's just hope the new pair aren't flawed, otherwise I'll fix them myself I guess...:ermm:

quad2xtreme
02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Can somebody explain how sponsorship works? I am pretty sure I am sponsored by C&D Racing and Pro Armor and I don't even race. Is this possible? I want to make sure I don't break any rules.

Here is how my sponsorship works....

I call Colby at C&D Racing or Pro Armor...I tell them what I want...they give me a discount...I give them my credit card number...my stuff arrives in about a week. I always get free stickers with my order.

Yea, I am just kidding if you haven't figured it out by now. I will let you know when I get a big fat check in the mail from Colby or Pro Armor for putting stickers on my quad. That is the day when I will tell you I am sponsored. In the meantime, I am sponsored by myself and hold the right to complain about any product I purchase that doesn't live up to my expectations.

NJ450rider
02-16-2008, 07:34 PM
OHHH no way it is Brick NJ. god damn there two towns over from me. I wish i would of known i would just go to there place and see whats up! LOL hahaha

FHKracingZ
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
The only people that accually get product around cost is the factory level steel mx sponsorship ( 60 % ) off. I get a little over 60% of steelmx products am i can say what i want about the company.

They are not as professional as they advertise, and i dont care if they cancel my contract if they find out who i am. The dishonored my contract last year as we had a performance edit to it that if i placed top 5 in a national race i recieve $50 my cost for product. They said my results i sent them were altered? wtf? ....

There product is cheap compared to scott or smith goggles, and so is there management.

Im not sponsored by them im a billboard that pays them, look at it that way.

02-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1

Its run out of a apartment in brick nj. Steel mx is horrible. I rode for them last year. besides the cheap stuff there *******s. They dont respond for anything. i wanted to go visit them and they said no i am not aloud. When there 5mins from my house. I just had overall horrible customer service. There more worried about sponsoring everyone then taking care of them.

400exrider707
02-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I actually enjoyed their goggles... they were one of the first pair of goggles that fit my face correctly, and I didn't get dirt in my eyes. My utopias, no matter how tight I have them, I get dirt in for some reason. Anyways, I'd rather get the dirt in my eyes than support these jerks anymore. They said their sending new glasses back, if they come they come, if not, I wont be hurt, I'll spend another $100 on some dragon glasses or something for my chick. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having problems here. Well not really glad, but you know.

BOO steelMX!!!

I dont see these jergoffs lasting too long.