PDA

View Full Version : Should i switch to z400

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I bought a new 07 ex in december and have enjoyed riding at least every weekend i like the performance of the z and and i am thinking that i want to switch to z, but there are 2 reasons holding me back

1) Maintenance- how much more is it and has anybody experienced maintenance issues from VERY aggressive trail riding and occasional track time (non-organized racing)

2) Gearing- Everything i have read says that z's like to be revved i have no experience with them but i ride ALOT of trails and dont need to be constantly clutching and will going down a tooth (to 13) on the front sprocket fill this and will this cause any other problems Basicly is it geared to high for trails often very technical

3)Money i bought my ex for 3999 out the door brand new and dont want to pay much more than that for a z the most i would pay is 4500-5000 and i want to buy new; i could possibly buy used but i know the type of abuse these go through and would rather know it has been taken care of. Do any of you have any suggestions on this?

I appreciate you guys opinions on this any help is appreciated.

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 03:09 PM
ok, you have reasons holding you back.. now what are the reasons that are making you want to switch? my family has 2 EX's and 1 Z.. i might be able to help. :)

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
The reason i want to switch is because i like the way they look better and everyone says they perform better, there is just that something that i seem to like them better i need to ride one but ALL my friends have ex's so im a little stuck

08400EX
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Something else to think about... Obviously one of the main reason you are considering this is for pure performance reasons.

While for me personally I really don't see how you could use much more in the woods (at least around here) than a solid 400ex with a few mods.

However, if you feel the need for excessive speed, why stop in the middle with the Z? Go ahead and get it out of your system and get a 450R. There are plenty nice used ones out there at great prices, heck Southern Honda has brand new 07s for $5300.

I say this because it will most likely save you from taking a loss on 2 Quads instead of one. Sure as heck when you get the Z within a few months you are going to be wanting more (because there is really not that much difference in a prepped 400EX and a Z), so go ahead and get it now(450R) and have fun!!!

Just a thought.....

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
personally, i would never base an atv purchase solely on looks. after riding each one quite a bit, i would never trade the handling and ease of maintenance for the little extra top end power. to me, z's feel like you're riding a horse and an ex will feel like a go cart compared to them. for trail riding, z's are kind of a pain with the lack of low end grunt. i'd say i'd only take a z if i had thousands of dollars to put into the handling of it. z's are also a chore to work on compared to ex's. to get to one thing, you need to tear apart 5 other things. pita. for the reasons you listed, i could never justify switching.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
personally, i would never base an atv purchase solely on looks. after riding each one quite a bit, i would never trade the handling and ease of maintenance for the little extra top end power. to me, z's feel like you're riding a horse and an ex will feel like a go cart compared to them. for trail riding, z's are kind of a pain with the lack of low end grunt. i'd say i'd only take a z if i had thousands of dollars to put into the handling of it. z's are also a chore to work on compared to ex's. to get to one thing, you need to tear apart 5 other things. pita. for the reasons you listed, i could never justify switching.

WOW, that is some really good feedback coming from someone with both!! Honestly I am not a fan of any Suzuki (long story) but I thought the Z was much better than that. I had a feeling they were a little more high strung and wouldn't have that 400 low grunt... but the rest of the info is very informative.. THANKS!!

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
that is a good point but i know i am not going to like the r because i mostly ride trails this was probably a "dumb question" i do not need a "prepped race bike" i just have fun beating the sh!$ out of my ex and i love the way the z looks and the performance is something that would also be nice to have i am just worried about low speed trail riding but i think a 13 tooth front sprocket would fix that but again i dont have much experience so i most likely will not spend my money buying a new quad since i got a great deal on my ex a southernhonda i got an 07 instead of 08 to save money i just have a problem modding a ex just to get to stock perf of z but then again i only paid 3999 for a brand new ex so i dont think a could find a z for that much and the type of riding/racing(non-organized) i do is NEVER in a strait line so it is more about how comfortable you are with your own machine

bottom line is i dont buy because of the brand and i like the look of the z but if i can not find a good deal on one i will stick with ex and the first mods i do willl be skids then nerfs then suspension then finally make it faster in stait line

dustin_j
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
You're listing one reason to switch is that "people say the Zs perform better." You'll find that people say a lot of things, haha. If you want more performance, there are some fairly cheap ways to get more performance from an ex: cam, piston, slip on pipe, etc.

If want different looks, then consider changing plastics, or even just adding a hood to your ex (I like scoop hoods!).

If you bought your quad for only $4000, you'll probably get at most $3500 out of it and then you'll pay around $4500 for the Z? Just quessing at numbers, but for that loss you could have some nice mods on your ex. Just remember you're the one who rides your quad, so make sure its what you want. Just some more thoughts.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh man, if you haven't dropped to a 13 tooth for trail riding ... you really haven't experianced the 400EX yet... TRUST ME!

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
pipeless very good info from someone that has a z and ex, i guess i really wanted just because everyone i read with has a ex that is all i see in my area kentuck in alabama, but economically it will not be a wise choice and as far as performance i will probably be better just to stick with the ex because i am very comfortable on it and i NEVER go past 4th(if any one has ridden kentuck they will know how technical it is) so i will use the money i saved and start modding

i guess a call to pro armor and a thorough search of ebay is in order for me inbetween work, classes, and studying

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
WOW, that is some really good feedback coming from someone with both!! Honestly I am not a fan of any Suzuki (long story) but I thought the Z was much better than that. I had a feeling they were a little more high strung and wouldn't have that 400 low grunt... but the rest of the info is very informative.. THANKS!!

well i might be just a tad biased..:devil: seriously though, if you're only going in straight lines, the z will get you where you're going faster. also, aftermarket exhaust systems seem to help out the z a lot more. its a fairly even race between my 416 with 11.1:1 comp, 450r carb, open air box with a k&n, hmf s/o. my dad's z only has a big gun evo limited series full system... my brother and i are almost exactly identical in weight and dragging skills. however since you're a trail rider, i'd bet that you will not be as fast on the z as long as it has stock suspension. also, like 08400EX said, z's have a spike in their powerband compared to the ex. when we went to little sahara this last december, you could be much more careless with gear selection while going up the bigger dunes on the hondas. and one last thing that basically sums up the handling: you sit on the z while you sit in the ex.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Its not worth making the switch unless your obsessed with the z for some reason. There is not that big of a difference in them. If your going to switch go bigger.

Also DO NOT gear down the 400ex. Stock gearing is the best! The stock gearing is right on the money just keep it in the right gear and use the clutch. Going down will KILL your top end even more than it already is lacking and you will be shifting way to much. Let the motor pull through it loves to be lugged. Peak power is at 5,600 rpms!!! if you are reving the crap out of it you are making less power! also 13 tooth for the 400ex is only for the newer ones with reverse not the 99-04 they are 15 tooth stock you want to go to a 14 if you go down a gear not recommended unless you are using it to plow a field

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
i appreciate the info and ill probably dumb about $1500 into it (dont really want to spend more than that for a weekend warrior like me) but ill probably go

pro armor bumper
pro armor engine and swingarm skids
pro armor fat series nerfs and pegs
then maybe 450r shocks maybe not
definatley hmf ballance full system(def carbon fiber) and uni filter and learn how to jet ahhhhhh ill have fun with that

then possibly new chain and go one tooth down on front sprocket

i like the look of the +2 a arms and+4 axles but very expensive and i probably wont need them

and i will have probably have bent front wheels and rear tires by then so i might as well get some beadlocks and 6plys

but any advice from the "experts" pipeless 08 i ALWAYS am open to advice as i am new to the sport but not to performance machines got in trouble with a highly modded STi (which i sold, the worst day of my life) and i am 18 so i needed to find a way to legally satisfy my "speed addiction"

Thanks so much for the always helpful feedack guys

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
in response to cory

cory i have ridden as hard as i possibly can and have never needed 5th and RARELY 4th but i Do like the looks of z's but i have decided to stick with the ex and i do have an 07 hence the name, but i am seriously thinking abouut the 13 tooth since i dont need top end and really dont even care about it, it is more fun to get there faster any way what can you do at 70 mph on an atv (mx guys do not attack me lol) just read the post for my ridingg style

RATPACK Z400
02-12-2008, 04:21 PM
the Z is a much better quad in every dept. but you have already bought new 400ex,just ride it! change gearing ,get pipe ,airfilter,revbox. if you want a little more. then when you get more experience jump up to 450 Ive had both I personally think my Z is the best of the two by far its faster accelaration,top-end speed,more torque,handles better. but thats my opion. if you liked the Z why didn,t you get it?

08400EX
02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
>i appreciate the info and ill probably dumb about $1500 into it >but ill probably go

>pro armor bumper

Wise, it will save your a-arms from the trees :-)

>pro armor engine and swingarm skids

Even wiser, if you do any kind of real trail riding the stock skids won't last long

>pro armor fat series nerfs and pegs

Bigger knarlier pegs will definitely make you feel more secure over the varied terrain of trail riding.

>then maybe 450r shocks maybe not

I don'tknow, if I had it to do over with I may have gone a different way. Unless you plan to do a lot of jumping stick with the stocks for trail riding.. at least for now until you get a better feel for what you really need.

>definatley hmf ballance full system(def carbon fiber)
>and uni filter and learn how to jet ahhhhhh ill have fun with that

A pipe/Filter/proper jetting is reallty gonna wake it up, you will think you have a different quad when you do that.

>then possibly new chain and go one tooth down on front sprocket

As new as it is a new chain is a waste, BUT for real trail woods riding (unless it is flat open country) you can't go wrong with dropping one tooth, cheapest and best mod you can make. I have done that on every Dirt Bike and Quad I have owned for decades and it makes a big difference. Where I ride you never even see 5th gear, much less the top speed of whatever you are riding.

>i like the look of the +2 a arms and+4 axles but very expensive >and i probably wont need them

For just trail/woods riding , you could spend your money in wiser places. Put that into your future shock budget.

>and i will have probably have bent front wheels and rear tires
> by then so i might as well get some beadlocks and 6plys

Better tires will make a big differece on the trails. BUT be careful, some of the heavier tires can feel a little harsher on impacts with rocks and rough terrain as compared to the stock radial tires. Unfortunately that may take some trial and error, but for me the radial iRazrs are the best.

> i am 18 so i needed to find a way to legally satisfy my "speed addiction"

You have found a very fun way to do that. I have a few Supercharged High HP Sports Cars that can do 200+, but riding a Sport Quad on the trails is a LOT of fun... safer too :-)

>Thanks so much for the always helpful feedack guys

You are welcome, and always remember if you don't like our advice or it doesn't work for your particular situation.... everyone here offers a money back refund for what you paid for it :-)

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 04:30 PM
alright i will keep the refund in mind whenever i am modding but seriously u can NEVER get good advice from dealers and no good atv tuning shops in the area and friends are always biased to what they have done to their OWN bikes. So far this has beena very good source of info.

Thanks for the full breakdown

klutch
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
dude awesome choice with the Ballance edition HMF that is by far my favorite pipe on the market i plan on getting one soon too

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Its not worth making the switch unless your obsessed with the z for some reason. There is not that big of a difference in them. If your going to switch go bigger.

Also DO NOT gear down the 400ex. Stock gearing is the best! The stock gearing is right on the money just keep it in the right gear and use the clutch. Going down will KILL your top end even more than it already is lacking and you will be shifting way to much. Let the motor pull through it loves to be lugged. Peak power is at 5,600 rpms!!! if you are reving the crap out of it you are making less power! also 13 tooth for the 400ex is only for the newer ones with reverse not the 99-04 they are 15 tooth stock you want to go to a 14 if you go down a gear not recommended unless you are using it to plow a field

peak power is at about 7500 rpms when stock, and he has a newer style, so it would be a 14 stock. gearing is a matter of preference and riding style.

and RATPACK Z400- the z only has higher torque in the upper rpms. stump pulling and accelerating from 4th to 5th under full throttle are two completely different things. i prefer the low end torque of the hondas for trail riding. and usually handling is preference too, but there is a very noticeable difference in how tippy z's are. have you ever even ridden an ex?

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
dude why do you have 450r shocks on your 300ex and not 400ex but ive researched the ballance and it sounds like the best fit for me and the carbon fiber looks sweet too

klutch
02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
dude why do you have 450r shocks on your 300ex and not 400ex but ive researched the ballance and it sounds like the best fit for me and the carbon fiber looks sweet too

Well the 400ex was my dads, and the 300ex was mine... but now i changed the shocks around, and the 300 is for sale, i am getting a 450R so my dad is going to have my stock 450 shocks on his 400

my88r
02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
well i might be just a tad biased..:devil: seriously though, if you're only going in straight lines, the z will get you where you're going faster. also, aftermarket exhaust systems seem to help out the z a lot more. its a fairly even race between my 416 with 11.1:1 comp, 450r carb, open air box with a k&n, hmf s/o. my dad's z only has a big gun evo limited series full system... my brother and i are almost exactly identical in weight and dragging skills. however since you're a trail rider, i'd bet that you will not be as fast on the z as long as it has stock suspension. also, like 08400EX said, z's have a spike in their powerband compared to the ex. when we went to little sahara this last december, you could be much more careless with gear selection while going up the bigger dunes on the hondas. and one last thing that basically sums up the handling: you sit on the z while you sit in the ex.

i had a 05 Z. full piped, jetting,gearing, i put the arens cross brace. goes in the middle. mounts to the shocks. a must on a Z. i traded that for 2 400exs. the only thing i miss. on the z is the front suspention.is better the ex STOCK. i put ohlins on it to make up for it. the zs bulid quality is be low a 1. if you ask me.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by my88r
. the zs bulid quality is be low a 1. if you ask me.

That has always been my experiance with Suzukis. Never buy another no matter how fast or supposedly "better" they are.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
that is a good piece of info i will have to remember to get the cbr instead of the gixxer if i ever buy a sportbike

my88r
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
That has always been my experiance with Suzukis. Never buy another no matter how fast or supposedly "better" they are.

well said

it also came with i believe a 2 year warranty. so i figured i needed it. buying my first and last suzuki.lol:p

Hondamaster5505
02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I HATE suzukis myself.

The only one i would EVER buy is a quadzilla:devil: or ltr

They may not start all the time, and may break easily, but DAMN, they quick!:eek2:

mx1791
02-12-2008, 05:21 PM
i had an 05 z400. it was a tank, i never had 1 serious problem and i never took care of the quad.. i personally like how 400ex's handle but i hate there power, ive never rode one that actually felt fast

coryatver
02-12-2008, 05:44 PM
in response to cory

cory i have ridden as hard as i possibly can and have never needed 5th and RARELY 4th but i Do like the looks of z's but i have decided to stick with the ex and i do have an 07 hence the name, but i am seriously thinking abouut the 13 tooth since i dont need top end and really dont even care about it, it is more fun to get there faster any way what can you do at 70 mph on an atv (mx guys do not attack me lol) just read the post for my ridingg style

even if you don't use the top gears i wouldn't go down a tooth the gearing is just to low. There is a reason they geared it the way it is stock! It will take just as long to get to fast speed it does not increase acceleration! it just increases your engine RPMS and like i said the EX makes max power at lower RPMS and loves to be lugged. Gear it lower and you will be on the rev limiter and going slower and making less power and wearing out your motor

coryatver
02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
i had an 05 z400. it was a tank, i never had 1 serious problem and i never took care of the quad.. i personally like how 400ex's handle but i hate there power, ive never rode one that actually felt fast

Yeah in my lumina z34 if i am going 90 i can't even feel it either but when I am in my sisters little car 60 feels crazy fast! The ex just handles well! feeling the speed and going fast are two different things. The better quad is the one that can go faster comfortably at least in my opinion

02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
the z400 and 400ex arent really that different. I would keep the EX because its an 07 and its new. I have ridden both and I thought the 400ex was nimble and the z400 didnt feel as great handling wise. I like liquid cooling but I much rather have a Honda that i know will last a really long time and that only needs a few simple mods to make it great.

Brauap
02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow. What I am basically getting at is that you want to switch because of it's looks. And since you posted this in the 400EX forum, everyone is going to say stay. If you post this in the Z400 section, everyone is going to say switch. Everyone (almost) loves what they run. If I where you. I would say with the 400EX. Its the most versitile quad. You want more power? Bore it. Drop a tooth. Add a tooth. Change the size of your tires. Add an exhaust. Jet it. Get an Air filter. Get a 450R carb. Get a Moster Coil. Get a Rev Box. Get a different header. See? There are millions of this to do to your EX before you even reach the price of a Z. Just mod-up your 400 and see how you like it. Start working on and you will fall in love with it. Its addicting. Trust me. Everyone on this 400EX Forum has fallen in love and is addicted to just making it better, and better, and better. You could make your EX beat a 450! I say.... Keep It.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
brap i am fully aware of the benefits and options for mods i know the general concepts i was asking for more specific advice pertaining to individual charecteristics of the bikes i could dump alot of money into a scooter to make it fast but if i did not like it why would it even matter

Hondamaster5505
02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
brap i am fully aware of the benefits and options for mods i know the general concepts i was asking for more specific advice pertaining to individual charecteristics of the bikes i could dump alot of money into a scooter to make it fast but if i did not like it why would it even matter

I HAVE A SOLUTION!

Call Laker plastics and custom order z400 style plastics for your 400ex!

Then you have a better bike with z looks.

I wonder if laker could actually do that:confused:

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 06:33 PM
that would look pretty sweet and would fool alot of people but then i would just have to hear all of you guys talk about how you just beasted a z400 in a drag race lol

08400EX
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
even if you don't use the top gears i wouldn't go down a tooth the gearing is just to low.

Do you realize dropping one tooth is only about an 8% gearing change? That is very subtle, but usable in the steeper trails. The difference between a new tire and a worn tire AND the difference between actual diameters of various brands of tires can be as much as 6-7% change in gearing.

There is a reason they geared it the way it is stock!

So why do we mod anything? Since stock is best is yours ALL stock??

It will take just as long to get to fast speed it does not increase acceleration!

Wrong, it does increase acceleration to a given speed.

it just increases your engine RPMS and like i said the EX makes max power at lower RPMS and loves to be lugged.

Yes they do and having a slightly lower ratio can make the slow speed manuvers much easier and even easier on the clutch.

Gear it lower and you will be on the rev limiter and going slower and making less power and wearing out your motor

Never hit a rev limiter in my life, over than purposely to see where it was, dropped tooth or not. Never had to rebuild or repair a Honda motor ever in many decades of owning them.

I am curious... how often do you hit the rev limter on your 400... in FIFTH Gear??? If not then you are wasting a lot of lost acceleration and lower end pulling. :-)

As was said before some prefer to drop or raise a tooth depending on their riding style and riding environment. But to say it will cause you to hit rev limiters and wear out the motor faster is simply not true. Rider error and abuse does that, not dropping a tooth on a sprocket.

Most peole who gear down probably ride a little slower than those that gear up, so the "rpm usage per hour" is probably about the same. Plus extreme lugging of an engine can cause a lot more wear and heat than reving slightly higher.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 06:38 PM
i would just have to hear all of you guys talk about how you just beasted a z400 in a drag race lol

I thought that happened all the time... around here :-)

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
THANK YOU!

extreme lugging of an engine can cause a lot more wear and heat than reving slightly higher.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Do you realize dropping one tooth is only about an 8% gearing change? That is very subtle, but usable in the steeper trails. The difference between a new tire and a worn tire AND the difference between actual diameters of various brands of tires can be as much as 6-7% change in gearing.

I have tried dropping a tooth and I thought the change was very substantial. I had to shift the thing all the time!

So why do we mod anything? Since stock is best is yours ALL stock??

The stock gear ratio matches the internal ratios. If you are modifying the internal gears than ya change the sprocket size. Mine isn't stock but i do things to actually improve the bike not make them worse

Wrong, it does increase acceleration to a given speed.

I disagree completely. It FEELS like you are but you are not actually!

Yes they do and having a slightly lower ratio can make the slow speed manuvers much easier and even easier on the clutch.

you do not need to use the clutch just let it lug out

Never hit a rev limiter in my life, over than purposely to see where it was, dropped tooth or not. Never had to rebuild or repair a Honda motor ever in many decades of owning them.

I am curious... how often do you hit the rev limter on your 400... in FIFTH Gear???

actually I do hit it. But i have mods that change the peak hp to a higher rpm. Like i said the 400ex is not a high rpm machine. When i say lug it i dont' mean put it in 3rd gear from a dead stop I am saying don't ride it at 9000 rpms keep it in the lower rpm range that is where the heart of the power is. I don't understand how anyone could think the stock gearing is tall. even in trails where you have to come to a dead stop crawl i will still no stall even without touching the clutch. on flat ground I can actually let the clutch out really slow and without giving it gas and start off. Now if you have ever rode a 450r or raptor 660 you would know what a actual high first gear is

I guess I am not going to change your opinion so we will have to agree to disagree.

Here is a interesting gearing calculator
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

08400EX
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I guess I am not going to change your opinion so we will have to agree to disagree.

Here is a interesting gearing calculator
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing, do what feels best to you...

BUT, telling people they are gonna start hitting their rev limiter and wearing out the engines by dropping 1 tooth is just plain false.

Seen the gear calc many times. I will give up the 4 mph of the "theoretical top speed" anytime for the better low speed pulling on the steep trails and rough terrain.... but that is just me.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
My response to that is that if i have ridden as hard as i can and have not even needed 5th then why not try the 13tooth and if i dont like it does not "feel" like it is increasing performance then i can easily switch back with no harm done

why r u discouraging something so simple?

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
i was responding to cory, obviously, but thought i would make sure and clarify i did not see this last post by08

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
My response to that is that if i have ridden as hard as i can and have not even needed 5th then why not try the 13tooth and if i dont like it does not "feel" like it is increasing performance then i can easily switch back with no harm done

why r u discouraging something so simple?

I tried it and it doesn't work. Just trying to save some people there time to install it and order it and pay for it. I hear people going on about the sprocket becuase they think it increases acceleration becuase it feels like it does but in reality your actually going slower. I don't now how to prove it but riding with other guys that have went down a tooth i can tell you they went back after realizing theres was that much slower than mine after that and i don't mean top speed. They thought it was faster accelerating also.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 07:32 PM
ok thank you for trying to help me out but it is only like $20 take at the most 30 minutes so i think i will try because it will theoretically increase performance i dont know how it will work until i actually try it and i can afford the twenty bucks

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
how does it theoretically increase performance??:confused:

08400EX
02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I have also read that the 05 and up are geared lower stock so it would even be worse for you.

Ok, so we have been discussing dropping a tooth on an 05 and later ... and you have never done it ???? :rolleyes:

Reading about and doing almost always yields different results.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
What I am saying is I have done it on the first version ex which is soposodly geared higher than the 05 and up and it was way to low so it will be even WORSE for this case

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
if you have been reading the post which it does not sound like you have then you will recall that i never use 5th NEVER so if the gearing was shorter then it should increase accelleration in the range that i actually use thus increasing the performance for my application that is a commonly accepted idea i dont know how to explain it any other way

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
using stock gearing doesn't mean you have to use 5th gear does it? It is just there in case you need it. Even if you only use the first 3 gears they will be way to close together and you will be shifting all the time or else revving it to high. unless you plan on getting a mower deck to drag behind it or trail ride at 2 mph so you don't spill your beer you don't need lower gearing!

I just have a very strong opinion about this obviously you already made up your mind I hope it works out for you. Also the z400 is geared much higher than the 400ex and does not have near the same low end so you definitly won't like it

dustin_j
02-12-2008, 07:49 PM
It is easier for the engine to turn the wheels when geared lower and in turn allows the quad to accelerate faster.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Ok I think that you are missing the POINT.

I have already decided to try it.

The reason are it is cheap. I can afford it. If I do not like it then I can take it back off, and I am sure one of my friends will buy it.

It should increase the accelleration, that is why I am trying it, There is a valid point that shifting will increase but this is not necessarily a bad thing for someone skilled with using a clutch.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
It is easier for the engine to turn the wheels when geared lower and in turn allows the quad to accelerate faster.

Yes but the 400ex has PLENTY of power already to turn the wheels in the lower gears so therefore all you are doing is wasting time shifting so it actually accelerates slower. first gear is pretty much uses for accelerating if you gear down.

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I just have a very strong opinion about this obviously you already made up your mind I hope it works out for you. Also the z400 is geared much higher than the 400ex and does not have near the same low end so you definitly won't like it

strong opinion or not, the physics are against you. get over it.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
don't believe me and line up with a buddy with the stock gearing and someone with the lower gearing you will be surprised. I know a lot about physics I have taken 5 college physics classes i practically have a minor in it so don't tell me physics is against me.

Tell me, how much power is getting to the ground when your busy shifting gears

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
just so you know i am a mechanical engineering major with an emphasis on thermodynamics i am 18 but i am a sophomore so i know a few things as well and shorter gearing should improve accelleration

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:03 PM
as far as the power getting to the ground that all depends on what type of surface i am own, if it is hard enough i can translate that to almost no wheelspin and the front end can be controlled by body weight except when popping the clutch in first gear.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
don't believe me and line up with a buddy with the stock gearing and someone with the lower gearing you will be surprised.

Corey,

Line up with me here with your higher gearing and see where you will be....

Yes, an extreme example, but the point is it is all about how someone uses their quad.. not all of us are speed demons like you.

coryatver
I am aware that it will accelerate through the gear faster but the time it takes to shift and get to the next gear negates it becuase even with stock gearing it has plenty of hp to pull through the gear

Pipeless416
don't believe me and line up with a buddy with the stock gearing and someone with the lower gearing you will be surprised. I know a lot about physics I have taken 5 college physics classes i practically have a minor in it so don't tell me physics is against me.

Tell me, how much power is getting to the ground when your busy shifting gears

you said yourself that you have never tried it. shifting is still minimal. tell me ithat you can accelerate quicker on a mountain bike when the chain is on the biggest front sprocket. i don't know how you passed any college level physics courses when you don't understand simple mechanics like that. why must you argue in every single thread you post in? that seems to be a recurring trend with you. he made his decision and it doesn't affect you in any way, shape, or form. leave it be.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I ride on similar stuff myself and yes I have no problems. Honda knew what they were going with the gearing and made the first gear low enough to deal with anything. Here is a pic from the allegany national forest in pa i easily made it up.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
you said yourself that you have never tried it. shifting is still minimal. tell me ithat you can accelerate quicker on a mountain bike when the chain is on the biggest front sprocket. i don't know how you passed any college level physics courses when you don't understand simple mechanics like that. why must you argue in every single thread you post in? that seems to be a recurring trend with you. he made his decision and it doesn't affect you in any way, shape, or form. leave it be.

a moutain bike doesn't have 28 horsepower. You need to gear it to match the power it has. Forums are for giving your opinion. It just so happens i have a strong one about this and I am pleading my case. just don't get me started on K&N's:blah:

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
my bad i missed the point of the question of power getting to the ground WHILE SHIFTING that would be none lol

but i think if you would ride with me once that you would want to try shorter gearing if you were in my place as well

we can argue all day but the bottom line is that I am just not going to know until I have tried it for myself and in theory it should serve the purpose and shifting times are a variable dependent upon personal skill level

08400EX
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I am aware that it will accelerate through the gear faster but the time it takes to shift and get to the next gear negates it becuase even with stock gearing it has plenty of hp to pull through the gear

You are obviously talking about drag racing, WE are talking about trail riding?? I don't ride thru the woods continuously going up and down thru the gears like I am running a drag race over and over.

Giving examples of gearing, speed of gear changes etc is easy on flat ground...doesn't apply for trail riding.

07trx400ex, buy the 13 gear, try it and if you don't like it, send me the bill.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
i think that if i used a k&n that my carb would be trashed after 1 weekend lol

my88r
02-12-2008, 08:15 PM
a moutain bike doesn't have 28 horsepower. You need to gear it to match the power it has. Forums are for giving your opinion. It just so happens i have a strong one about this and I am pleading my case. just don't get me started on K&N's:blah:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks again for the advice 08, but even if i were to not like it which is a very strong possibillity as i am very pleased with the setup right now, (Always looking for something better though) I KNOW that I can sell it to a friend so it is really a win-win situation if you think about it. What if i do like it thats more points in the fun department.

coryatver
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
i give up. good luck with it. keep it rubber side down. Also I would love for you to take me on your trails. I love the technical stuff.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks again for the advice 08, but even if i were to not like it which is a very strong possibillity as i am very pleased with the setup right now, (Always looking for something better though) I KNOW that I can sell it to a friend so it is really a win-win situation if you think about it. What if i do like it thats more points in the fun department.

Another way to look at it is there my be some places you ride where you want stock gearing, others where you want the 13. It only takes a few minutes to change back and forth.

Hey, then you would be like the pros, you can bet they change gearing for each course and condiitons, just like Nascar, Formula 1, MotoGp, Superbikes and every motorsport known to man. :devil:

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Good Point, and while I am already paying shipping I might as well get the 15 just in case I find some old fire roads.:D

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah, Cory I do not think it will be very practical for us to ride because I live in Alabama. It appears that you live in Pennsylvania so I do not think that I will be making that trip very soon but if you are ever in the area with your bike or feel like riding one of my extra utes then let me know!!!

I always love a good debate just have not had the chance to have many of them on here because I am new to the whole sportquad thing but think I am becoming addicted to it.

08400EX
02-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Good Point, and while I am already paying shipping I might as well get the 15 just in case I find some old fire roads.:D

OR... in case you go against Corey.. hey if stock gearing is quicker than lower gearing, higher gearing MUST be even quicker!!!

Sorry Corey, I couldn't resist, just kidding with ya.

Have a great night everyone, unsubscribing on this one, you guys wore an ole man out, it's past my bedtime. :-)

Always ALL IN FUN!!

STUNTIN400EX
02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
i own a 02 ex and a 05 z, and you couldn't get me to spend the money on another sudookie. imo the ex is a much better built quad. in the fist year i had my z i had to take it back to the stealership and have carb work done then after i had already bought the extended warranty none of the work was covered. stick with your honda in 3 years you will be glad.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/NINJARDR91750/BIKE%20PICS/IMG_0111.jpg
HERE IS MY Z
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/NINJARDR91750/BIKE%20PICS/ATV%20PICS/100_0473.jpg
HERE IS MY EX

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks man good info, i think i have decided to keep it and lightly mod it (if that is possible) hahha

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks man good info, i think i have decided to keep it and lightly mod it (if that is possible) hahha

thats how we all started...:o :D

STUNTIN400EX
02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
IF YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED ON A QUAD IT IS HOW YOU WILL LEARN AS WELL, AND THE EX IS FORGIVING. YOU WILL BE MONEY AHEAD JUST MODDING YOUR EX.

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I was just reviewing the post late last night and noticed that 08 you have supercharged cars and I think a REAL man would definitely use a turbo.

Just Messing Around Man

I used to have a Subaru Impreza STi and I absolutely loved seeing the faces of supercharged mustangs(or just about any other car under 100k for that matter, yeah I had a few mods) after I blew their doors off. It was by no means a setup for top speed though mostly just an occasional autocross and of course I always had to defend my pride on the street.

I know you are probably not dealing with mustangs as the car would probably start flying at those speeds.

Hondamaster5505
02-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Sorry, I had to bring up sporkets again.

Why would aftermarket companies make different sprokets if the stock was the best?

By lowering the front sproket, your increasing 1st gear crawlibility for REALLY technical trails, and the other gear ratios are a lil smaller so you don't have to clutch as much and stay in one gear.

For me its not necessary, since we mainly ride at coalmines and some PA trails.

We went down 2 teeth on our banshee, and the difference was amazing:eek2:
It pulled so much quicker and improved acceleration by a long shot. Now in the trails its better since we can keep the r's up while going over slow technical stuff.

So all in all, sprokets can do a lot more than you think.

Go for the 13:D

08400EX
02-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I was just reviewing the post late last night and noticed that 08 you have supercharged cars and I think a REAL man would definitely use a turbo.

Just Messing Around Man

Come one, you know real men don't use HAIRDRYERS :-)

I used to have a Subaru Impreza STi and I absolutely loved seeing the faces of supercharged mustangs(or just about any other car under 100k for that matter, yeah I had a few mods) after I blew their doors off. It was by no means a setup for top speed though mostly just an occasional autocross and of course I always had to defend my pride on the street.

I know you are probably not dealing with mustangs as the car would probably start flying at those speeds.

Some of those Subs are badd!! Nope no Mustangs, mine do have V8s thou, but they are furen and start with a "P". BUT they have very GOOD GEARING, good enough for 4 second 0-06s and could still bust the 200 mark :-)

Enough talk about "work"... back to the sprocket mess !!!

RATPACK Z400
02-13-2008, 10:55 AM
If you ride tight hilly trails with rear mud tires,go down a tooth in front ,if you dont hill climb stay stock its that easy! yes front tooth down will take away top speed but in tight trails its not needed ,changing gearing for what you ride,I had ex with mudsharks on rear went down 1 tooth in front for hillclimbing and tight trails,if you dont put heavy mud tires in rear than you could get away with stock gearing but most trail riders with 400exs change rear tires to handle the mud & rocks stock tire cant.And change rear gearing too .going up two teeth in rear as well can give you what your trying to achieve, you need to change and experiment with gearing to your likes! I know most of you hate the Z ! but Ive had both and would never go back to ex the Z is my choice when it comes to the two.

02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Subscribing to thread for my new usercp. ignore this