PDA

View Full Version : switch to z400

07trx400ex
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I bought a new 07 ex in december and have enjoyed riding at least every weekend i like the performance of the z and and i am thinking that i want to switch to z, but there are 2 reasons holding me back

1) Maintenance- how much more is it and has anybody experienced maintenance issues from VERY aggressive trail riding and occasional track time (non-organized racing)

2) Gearing- Everything i have read says that z's like to be revved i have no experience with them but i ride ALOT of trails and dont need to be constantly clutching and will going down a tooth (to 13) on the front sprocket fill this and will this cause any other problems Basicly is it geared to high for trails often very technical

3)Money i bought my ex for 3999 out the door brand new and dont want to pay much more than that for a z the most i would pay is 4500-5000 and i want to buy new; i could possibly buy used but i know the type of abuse these go through and would rather know it has been taken care of. Do any of you have any suggestions on this?

I appreciate you guys opinions on this any help is appreciated.

zracer16
02-13-2008, 03:14 PM
I have owned both and I currently own 2 Z400s(no EXs) if that tells you anything. I had a very bad experience with the EX and will never buy another Honda product again. Honda does not stand by their product. The Z400 handles just as good if not better than the EX. The 05 and up Zs have WAAAAAY better shocks. I rode the he!! out of my 03 Z400 and did not have one single problem with it and I have rode it on some of the narliest trails you could possibly imagine when it was completely stock and it did fantastic. So don't let the guys on the EX forum fool you, the Z400 is hands down the better of the 2. However, I am not sure if you would be able to find a new Z for less than 5,000.