PDA

View Full Version : e85

.!Tfish.!4
02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Does anyone use e85 in there high compression bikes? and if so how is the carbon build up and how smoothe does it run??!

i have an ltr i just built it 13.1 ratio 2mm oversized with a cherry bomb,power commander and full lrd exhaust ??

just trying to see if i can find a cheaper way than buying race fuel??

Waddell
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think e85 is suppose to be a allternative racing fuel:ermm:

JJs450r
02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
someone said something about it in the yfz part of the forum somethin about changin hoses and what not

bwamos
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
E85 does have significantly higher octane. However since it's mostly ethanol, you'd pretty much run the motor like it's an ethanol system, it would just be a bit more "friendly".

You'd get less mileage off of a tank as well since you have to run more fuel in the mix. So if you XC you'd have to refuel quite a bit more often. But for MX? It could be worth looking into.

That's from my VERY limited knowledge of e85 and ethanol, lol. Many others know a lot more than I.

02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
almost al the gas stations around me are running 10% or less of E85 mixed into their gas. So when I run 91 would it be higher or lower?

416exfreak
02-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
almost al the gas stations around me are running 10% or less of E85 mixed into their gas. So when I run 91 would it be higher or lower?

If it says 91 on the pump, then 91 is whats coming out of the hose.

They have already calculated it for you.;)

02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

i'm wearey of what pumps actually do give you. I wish they had a octane tester. it would be useful for tons of things such as when i have a few cans of gas in the garage and I dont remember what fuel is in which because my brother mixes them up sometimes. Or just to be curious and see what octane gas you really get.

Rip_Tear
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Unless your Gas stations are that much different then ours in Canada, the Octane coming out of the pump should be the MINIMUM octane, I talked with the guy who supplies my dad, and he explained that it should never be less then what they have posted.

E85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% Gas, so the pump just has 10% Ethanol not 10% E85... Or that's how it should be.

On your EFI machine I would assume that you should just be able to get someone to re map the efi system for E85. On a carborated system you could possibly just run a larger float bowl and larger jets to get more fuel to the engine.

It's been a long time since I really put any research into it, but I believe that should be fairly correct.

KXRida
02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

Unless they use a single hose at the pump and the guy before you got 87. You're paying for 93, but you get the rought 1/2 of 87 left in the hose. I always go to the pumps with 3 seperate nozzles when I get 93.

In higher compression engines I was actually kinda suprised that pump gas held true. I've seen engines ping on 87, but run good on 93+ so I guess there is some truth in gas stations lol.