PDA

View Full Version : Blaster and LT 80 trouble.

lbferguson
02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I am 18 and takeing care of our quads myself. We only ride a couple times a year with the family. Just went out and had 2 problems.

Suzukki LT 80 seems to be stuck in gear rear wheels will not turn. From what I've read we didn't have enough oil in case. Is this a hard fix or do I have to have it done $$$$ I have seen schematics on parts web sites.

Yamaha Blaster had trouble kick starting now it does nothing. We pushed started it to get it back to camp and it ran fine. I am assumeing it might be the spring but would welcome any ideas.

I know useing these things so little isn't good but they are mostly for the women and kids. I am trying to learn how to work on these things and have learned the shops make more in an hour than I make in a night. Thanks for any help.

John451
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
oops.

John451
02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh, and for the banshee... Sounds like it's the spring if there wasnt any knocking. It's simple if its the kickstart. Just take the clutch cover off, i dont even know if you have to take the clutch off. W/e it's a fairly easy home fix, well wow, i guess i could just be speaking for myself. I started workin on them when I was 7 and I'm 15 now and have had 12 different bikes. But, I mean the fix is takinn the lever off, takin the cover off, sliding the gear off? Idk, havent been in there since I was 10 so 5 years to replace shiftshaft. Then you just stretch the spring around until it gets close and is right near the shaft. Idk how many times it is on a quad. I'd ask my local dealer just to be safe, they can tell you for free, they're usually happy to answer. Good luck!

cbrooks118
02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Good luck on taking the cam and cam chain off the LT 80!

bdtoady22
02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
yeah i wa thinkin that too

John451
02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by cbrooks118
Good luck on taking the cam and cam chain off the LT 80!

haha, oops. None of this woulda happeneed if i knew it was a 2 stroke... Y did they make some lt's 2 stroke and some 4 stroke?? thats so wierd.

CSR400EX
02-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by John451
Ehh, it's really simple. I did it a few times last year on my lt125. You just take the tensioner off (dont even bother trying to dejust it, just take it off) and get it off as far as you can then I think I just turned it. I didn't even take the sprocket off like everyone and every book says you have to.

haha sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a LT80 is a 2- stroke

and i believe that its a fully automatic quad, but im not sure if its a gear drive or CVT tranny.

wilkin250r
02-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, let's start with background knowledge. If you are going to be performing this work yourself, you really should get yourself a repair manual (different from an owner's manual. An Owner's Manual just tells you how to wotk the light switch and add gas, a repair manual tells you how to disassemble the engine).

The LT80 uses a CVT transmission, which is basically a belt and two pulleys. The front pully is driven directly off the crankshaft, and it has weighted rollers that will change it's size larger and smaller to change the drive ratio. It's rather simple, but too complex to explain in a short paragraph.

The rear pulley will also change in size in response to the front pulley, and also has the clutch. The clutch is centrifugal, and engages at a certain RPM.

Now, help us to help you. Explain the problem with the LT80. Does it start and run? Will it stay running and idle without moving? What happens if you give it throttle?

02-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by John451
Hey, I'm 15 managing 3 dirtbikes and a 4 wheeler all paid for cash, out of MY pocker and parting out another wheeler and takin care of whatever breaks on my friends. I would say for the 80 that it could be the gearshift drum if it's stuck in gear. Either that or the other most common low oil problem i've see was the connecting rod on the crankshaft is shot and basically the connecting rod welds itself to the crank. You can check it, most likely you would need to take the engine out anyways but i've dont it in the frame. Take the head off, cam chain, camshaft, then the second head, then try to push the piston down if it's a valve problem it would be able to move and you might need to lift the rear and try to turn the tire, if it turns and the piston moves i'd say its the gearshift. BEFORE THAT, sorry I forgot. Take the plug out and prop the rear up and spin the wheel, it will turn over if it's not the valves or crank. if it doesnt turn id have to say then go to strippin the engine down. So #1 take plug out and try to turn wheel, #2 take engine apart and strip down to jug, keep jug in, prop back up, spin wheels. and if it still doesnt wotrk, #3 take jug off, see if the connecting rod on piston can move around crank. If it's none of those you should take it somewhere because any further needs to get into the transmission. Well, if its the connecting rod you should take it somewhere but if its the cam, do it yourself. Just make sure to put it back right. Doesn't take much to put it in wrong, doesn't brake anything, its just annoying. Good luck! Pm me if you need any more help.
That's a pic of my 1984 lt125 that sat for 11 years and i got it running in 20 mins and it only took $35 and I paid $40 for it. Ran like new due to lack of use, until i blew trans. :P

lol what? its a cvt
lt80 just needs a new belt

the blaster... that can be alot of things timeing, intake leak,just the kick starter its self...

lbferguson
02-13-2008, 08:22 AM
LT Ran fine for half the trip then seemed to be stuck in gear. We can rock it back and forth but not loosen it. Engine runs fine. I was shopping yesterday afor manual for all our bikes am I correct to think that the Haynes is better than the service manual. Anybody have advice on that ?? Post said service manual was more for maintance. ( Should have had it and known where oil check screw was on this LT 80) Now I know

John451
02-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 250r asm
lol what? its a cvt
lt80 just needs a new belt

the blaster... that can be alot of things timeing, intake leak,just the kick starter its self...

hahah, oops, my lt was a 4 stroke. It was also a 125. but yeah, it defiantly sounds like a belt since you said it runs but wont move. Idk the way u described it, sounds like belt. Haha, sry about the confusion. Coulda sworn it was 4 stroke.

wilkin250r
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by lbferguson
LT Ran fine for half the trip then seemed to be stuck in gear. We can rock it back and forth but not loosen it. Engine runs fine. I was shopping yesterday afor manual for all our bikes am I correct to think that the Haynes is better than the service manual. Anybody have advice on that ?? Post said service manual was more for maintance. ( Should have had it and known where oil check screw was on this LT 80) Now I know

Any time you can get a hold of a genuine Honda service manual, do it. They are great. But the Suzuki manual isn't nearly as good (I have one for the LT80, I'm talking from direct experience).

I've never seen the Haynes manual for the LT80, but it HAS to be better than the one I have.

As for the problem, it doesn't sound like a belt. You should be able to push it around like a normal quad in neutral. It sounds like you can't, like the rear wheels are locked up. Your gear reduction unit might be trashed.

But first step is a manual, and then taking things apart. You gotta go through the belt to get to the gear reduction, so I would check that first, it might be a simple issue with the rear pulley.

lbferguson
02-24-2008, 11:05 AM
We had a heart attatck in the family since the last post. Quads have been sitting so next week I will get to them. We just thank God the heart attatck didn't happen at the beautiful Salt and Sea. Thanks for all the imput, I will get back once we get into the quads. Thanks.