PDA

View Full Version : TRX 250ex engine issues?

gel1197
02-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I have a 2003 Honda TRX 250ex (might be the wrong forum to ask this...) and I need some advise on a motor issue.

The quad ran great all day except for the very beginning when my son gently laid it on it's side while going to slow in a turn. I pushed it back on all four and it started and ran fine.

We rode in moderately dusty conditons all day and at the end of the ride the quad started to chug and hesitate in second gear and up. It starts fine but when you rev it it sounds like it's starving for fuel and/or misfiring? No smoke from the exhaust and I don't hear any obvious noises coming from the case or clutch.

I checked the air filter and it was fine (new K&N) so I'm thinking it's a bad plug or clog in the carb? any ideas?

CROSS POSTED ON THE 250R FORUM...SORRY

300exOH
02-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you might need to clean the carb. Ours was doing the same thing you described and it turned out to be a clogged pilot jet. I ended up pushing a thin piece of wire through the jet and cleaning it with carb cleaner. The dirt was so stuck in the pilot jet that the carb cleaner alone wouldn't get it out.

gel1197
02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I did put a KN filter on it abot a week ago but it was running fine since then. Did you pull the whole carb or just the float bowl? Did you put new gaskets on or were the old ones ok...

This quad is nice but I'd rather ride my 400ex any day.

Thanks

300exOH
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by gel1197
I did put a KN filter on it abot a week ago but it was running fine since then. Did you pull the whole carb or just the float bowl? Did you put new gaskets on or were the old ones ok...

This quad is nice but I'd rather ride my 400ex any day.

Thanks

I believe I just loosened the clamps on either side of the carb and rotated it enough to remove the jets and cleaned what I could with the carb cleaner. I didn't have to change any gaskets/seals. I may have removed the airbox to make it easier to get to the carb but I cant remember for certain. Either way it's a fairly easy job.

Yea the 250ex is a great little quad for what its intended...of course I would prefer a 400ex over it too. I honestly have fun when I get on the 250 since it's so easy to toss around. Plus the wife and kis enjoy riding it. I even use it for chores around the yard since I don't have to deal with a clutch. I even pull a tow behind mower with the thing. lol

250excrf250r
02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
clean the carb because 4 storkes can only be put on different sides other wise it will need carb cleaning a 2 stoke con roll any where because oil is in gas.