PDA

View Full Version : TRX 250 ex Help

gel1197
02-12-2008, 06:16 AM
I have a 2003 Honda TRX 250ex (might be the wrong forum to ask this...) and I need some advise on a motor issue.

The quad ran great all day except for the very beginning when my son gently laid it on it's side while going to slow in a turn. I pushed it back on all four and it started and ran fine.

We rode in moderately dusty conditons all day and at the end of the ride the quad started to chug and hesitate in second gear and up. It starts fine but when you rev it it sounds like it's starving for fuel and/or misfiring? No smoke from the exhaust and I don't hear any obvious noises coming from the case or clutch.

I checked the air filter and it was fine (new K&N) so I'm thinking it's a bad plug or clog in the carb? any ideas?

Aceman
02-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Here's the forum you want:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=172

I'd look into a fuel issue. It kinda sounds like a plugged main jet. Maybe it's possible you knocked some sediment loose in the fuel tank when you tipped it over. Riding it for the rest of the day may have dropped the fuel level enough it eventually sucked that sediment up. First, I'd make sure you are getting full flow out of the fuel hose where it attaches to the carb. Is there an inline fuel filter that may have plugged? Honda also likes to put a screen type filter in the bottom of their tanks if you're having flow issues. Checking the spark plug wouldn't hurt either. If all this checks out, then I'd clean the carb out using compressed air/brake cleaner. Take a look for a plugged jet.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I dont know if it could happen on the EX when it was turned over, but we had a problem like this on riding mowers.
Gas getting into the crankcase & mixxing with the oil.
When that would happen, once the engine got good & warm it would start to run like crap because the gas in the oil was getting hot, turning into vapor & the vapor getting sucked back through the vent hose & through the carb.
Once the oil was changed the mower ran fine.
It might could happen, if while laying on its side the carb flooded, gas ran through the intake into the cylinder & then down past the rings into the oil, it just could.
How long did it lay on its side.
Neil

gel1197
02-12-2008, 07:18 AM
It only laid on it's side for about a minute. Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out tonight.