PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a banshee.....

stuntin andy
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
how often do these things brake?

Washburn
02-15-2008, 09:49 PM
If you take care of them they are a very reliable bike. Fresh fluids clean your air filter/s often and rejet according to mods/weather. I have an 03 that has the original top end 150psi each cyl still running strong.

stuntin andy
02-16-2008, 09:09 AM
nniicceee i heard that you have to change the pistons and rings like every 3 years is that true?

400exrider989
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
^ all depends
if maintain it good as in make sure its always jetted accordingly and you regular maintnence i can last for a while

now obviosly it has more of a chance of needing a top end then some 4 strokes and its either because people dont jet it right or have the stock filter, its not a very good seal and can let some dirt in

Hondamaster5505
02-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Washburn
If you take care of them they are a very reliable bike. Fresh fluids clean your air filter/s often and rejet according to mods/weather. I have an 03 that has the original top end 150psi each cyl still running strong.

Im sorry, but I have to call BS on this.

When my dad finished a fresh rebuild with wiesco prolites, he also has a shaved head. The psi was about 135psi per cylinder with the milled head.
Unless you have a VERY milled head AND compression pistons, there is no way it's making 150psi.

Now, as far as reliability. They are so much better then people make them out to be.
They last a good 2-3 seasons, and if built right, almost never break down. Ours was setup by Yamaha themselves, and we NEVER have problems with it. Even when it was running 78psi it still never broke down.

Its people like my cousin and my dads employee who make banshee's look bad. They are people who don't like to do maintance, and half--- everything. We end up fixing theirs every ride.

So take care of it, and shee will be good to you;)

firefighterjosh
02-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Rebuilt mine in 2003 with Vitos fordged pistons, otherwise internal was stock. Other mods where, delta 2s, +5 afjustible timing plate, TORs removed, T6 pipes, K and N filter.

I ran it pretty hard. Overheated it prabably 8 times. Once for almost an hour during a race. One time I forgot to put coolant in it after I drained it. durr me. I sold it over a year ago telling the guy it may need a rebuild soon.

I just got a call from the guy about 1 month ago. he said it still starts first or 2nd kick, and runs great.

So if built right they can be super reliable

stuntin andy
02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
wow thats amazing! lol how do i know the pis or what ever in a piston?

firefighterjosh
02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
A compression gauge.

you can buy them from autozone

660r2a400ex
02-19-2008, 07:44 AM
you should never have to rebuild every 3 hours ! once a year would be recomended, its like 200 for full rebuild kit including gaskets, keep all bearings greased, i do before every ride, mix oil properly, check plugs constantly to make sure your getting proper oil and fuel, clean filter, and wash it lots, keep mud off of bike...by the way if your looking im in va and sent you a pm, im going to sell my 04

660r2a400ex
02-19-2008, 07:49 AM
banshee and blaster is nite and day difference, psi is how much compression your motor is putting out, they sell the tool almost anywhere and you just unscrew your spark plug and turn the tool in there, kick it or crank it over a couple times and it will give you a number, the lower compression(psi) the more chances of you rebuilding, the higher the number the better shape the motors in, on the shees, you want over 100 psi 135 psi is like brand new anything over 135 and theres serious motor work done anything lower then 100 psi you need a rebuild

Hondamaster5505
02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
The banshee engine is basically twin blaster engines with a shorter stroke/porting and liquid cooling.

Part number for a piston on a blaster is the same as the banshee:D

stuntin andy
02-19-2008, 01:32 PM
wow these bikes sound really high matnance lol but im still thinkin.... i just got my 1972 ford f100=p so next is a new 4 wheeler

Hondamaster5505
02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by stuntin andy
wow these bikes sound really high matnance lol but im still thinkin.... i just got my 1972 ford f100=p so next is a new 4 wheeler

Dude, if you get a banshee, you'll have 2-stroke fever for life.

Once you get into powerband more and more, it gets more and more addicting! The rush is insane if you have it piped and such!

660r2a400ex
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
hes right man, i hated the 2-strokes, but then i got my banshee trying to figure out what the big fuss was all about, i got it home, starter her up and took off, bahhhhh(it bogged) i clutch it once and she bout ripped my arms off the power band is cruelshal, when we all drag race, i get beat of the line by 5-10 bikes in the first 50yds. b/c it loves to spin....then i pass uhm all like they sittin still !!! you'll never want a thumper again. the maintence part can be a pain in the *** sometimes but it also makes you appreciate the bike alot more in the long run.

stuntin andy
02-19-2008, 06:10 PM
lol you actuwally feel it on my blaster i dident feel ne thin lol...well i did a littel

firefighterjosh
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
The power is great, Its alot of fun beating them 450s but if you are a competitive woods rider I would check out the other brands too

Hondamaster5505
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by stuntin andy
lol you actuwally feel it on my blaster i dident feel ne thin lol...well i did a littel

It hits like a brick wall! It'll climb up slowly and all of a sudden.... BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its such an insane rush.

The blasters are only a 200, and are designed to be a mild trail bike. I had a blaster also. The porting is mild and that is also why the powerband is mellow. It was designed to have some low-end.
If you get a 240 kit on the blaster, it will haul --- and have a sick powerband also.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has the powerband a banshee does. Its just hits. No real low-end.

bad_shee05
02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I love banshee's and the reliability, like said, depends on the owner. I bought a 98 banshee 2 years ago that was totally bone stock and still on its stock bore. I am not even kidding. The carbs had never even been touched and it started on the third kick every time. So of course i bought it right up and started modding it. Last winter i tore her down just because i figured it was overdue for an engine overhaul and i was amazed but it all looked brand new! But i went through it anyway and did its 1st overbore and continued my mods from the inside out. Banshee aftermarket parts are a bit more expensive than others but you have two of everything. But the smallest mod makes the biggest difference on these quads. I remember i went from bone stock to 2 into 1 carb, toomy t-6's, and a 20cc b-cool head and wow. But like said if you do alot of woods riding with up and down or low rpms then it probably isnt for you. I geared mine down 2 teeth and still have problems with the low end stuff sometimes. My .02

stuntin andy
02-20-2008, 05:03 AM
o0o0o i do ride trails some but not all the time my budy has a littel oval track with 2 jumps on it i ride that aalloott but i irde threw the woods 2 get there