PDA

View Full Version : Just got my motor done 12:1 port polish cam exhaust etc... Should I upgrade to a 14:1

FireMedic686R
02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I just got a good ride in on my new motor hetrick racing built stock bore 05 450r 1mm over valves, 943 web cam, cp 12:1 pisotn national port and polish and K&N filter I am pulling 51hp on the dyno. I just ordered a fci intake and I am going back to get it dynoed so the jetting is spot on. Well He told me with the port job on the bike he thinks the bike will pull 55hp. But I will have to spend about 400 bucks more that is with the piston and install. Should I ride it as is or say efff it and spend the dough. Will I be happy with the additional hp for the 400 bucks?

d3ktrix
02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Forget about the dyno numbers, go by if the bike has enough power for you while your riding it.
If all u care about is dyno numbers u'll never stop spending money.

Another thing is, if u go from 12:1 to 14:1 you'll have to run race gas.
Thats even more money, not just the $400 to install it.

wppracing
02-12-2008, 05:05 AM
I would spend the extra. Going from 12-14 you will feel a noticable difference. Here is a graph when I tested a 13.1 and my current 14.1
The only thing changed was the piston.

chad502ex
02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
as wpp illustrated,..,..

compression is power.... no doubt....

i've responded to this thread on another board too, but since I'm in here I'd like to ask again why the low lift 943 cam?

FireMedic686R
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Drg..... Rich said that he has tested many cams and that cam has smooth power throughout..... That is what he recommended me to put in there... He is the builder and I took his advice...

He also said that he would put a wiesco custom 14:1 piston in there that is thermal coated with only one ring......:confused: He said that it would be just as reliable as long as I run race fuel.

chad502ex
02-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by FireMedic686R
Drg..... Rich said that he has tested many cams and that cam has smooth power throughout..... That is what he recommended me to put in there... He is the builder and I took his advice...

He also said that he would put a wiesco custom 14:1 piston in there that is thermal coated with only one ring......:confused: He said that it would be just as reliable as long as I run race fuel.

hmmm,... well then all I can really say is its ok to have a difference of opinion. I just dont think the 943 is best for the 05 given the large port volume,.... maybe in the 06, but not the 05...

OK then,..

Good luck with your build/er.