PDA

View Full Version : correct amount of toe

rigger
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
What is the correct amount of toe to have on the front end?

Mine is currently toed out by about a 1/2". Would this cause steering issues?

Thanks for the input.

d3ktrix
02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
You never want toe out.

Most people run 1/8" 1/4" of toe in depending on riding style.
Don't forget to set your camber too =)

Waddell
02-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
You never want toe out.

Most people run 1/8" 1/4" of toe in depending on riding style.
Don't forget to set your camber too =)
x2

bwamos
02-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Toe out has it's place. Flat track racers should love a little toe out. ;)

However, toe out is gerneally not a good thing in any of usual riding conditions. It's very very twitchy. You generally want about 1/4" toe in. Center of tire front vs. center of tires in the rear.

JOEX
02-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
... Center of tire front vs. center of tires in the rear.
That would be the rear of the front tires, correct?

NacsMXer
02-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
That would be the rear of the front tires, correct?

I think bwamos means that height wise on the front tires, you want 1/4" to 1/8" less from the center of the front tires to the center of the rear tires. :p

JOEX
02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I think bwamos means that height wise on the front tires, you want 1/4" to 1/8" less from the center of the front tires to the center of the rear tires. :p
Now that didn't make things any clearer:p

I didn't think toe measurement had anything to do with the rear tires:confused:

In this pic measurement 'B' should be 1/8" to 1/4" narrower than measurement 'A'.

NacsMXer
02-16-2008, 11:10 AM
JOEX, say a front tire is 20" tall. In terms of height, the "center" of the tire would be halfway up the height of the tire, at 10 inches. This is simply used for a common reference point when comparing width in the front of the front tires vs. the width in the rear of the front tires.

You wouldn't want to make your reference point near the top of the tires, say around the 18" tall mark. If you're trying to get your toe in right, you want to measure at the point of the tire that has the MOST amount of toe....the "center". In this case if you measured near the top of the tire it would incorrectly indicate less toe than you actually have.

You can do toe like the diagram you posted, but it's still not going to be accurate unless you're measuring from the center of the tire's overall height. I personally find it easier to measure from the center of a tire's tread to the other side vs. from the inner sidewalls like the diagram but it's all personal preference.

p.s. you'll have to pardon my 1st post, what I meant to say in the last part was the "center of the rear of the front tires" not the actual rear tires...sorry for the confusion :scary: :)

JOEX
02-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I understand the about the measuring from centerline of the tire hieght and I also use the center 'rib' of each tire rather than how the oic shows.

That pic isn't very good, I just grabbed form google:ermm:

bwamos post sounded like he was refering to the rear tires. Just wanted to clear it up:)

NacsMXer
02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I understand the about the measuring from centerline of the tire hieght and I also use the center 'rib' of each tire rather than how the oic shows.

That pic isn't very good, I just grabbed form google:ermm:

bwamos post sounded like he was refering to the rear tires. Just wanted to clear it up:)

10-4 good buddy ;) :D

bwamos
02-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Now that didn't make things any clearer:p

I didn't think toe measurement had anything to do with the rear tires:confused:

In this pic measurement 'B' should be 1/8" to 1/4" narrower than measurement 'A'.

I meant center of the front of the front, and center of the rear of the same front tires.

You pick a point on a lug, mark it with chalk and measure from point to point in the front. Pulling apart to remove tie-rod ball joint slack.

Rotate the tires 180deg, then measure from the same 2 points on the tire at the back of the tires (keeping slack removed on the front edge for consistent measurement)

Sorry for my unclearness or confusion I may have caused. I pretty much assumed everyone would know that it's all front tire. ;)

bradley300
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

However, toe out is generaly not a good thing in any of usual riding conditions. It's very very twitchy. .

i run about a eigth of toe out, and it seems like it makes the steering heavier and less twitchy, also seems very responsive when you turn the bars. personally i like it

NacsMXer
02-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i run about a eigth of toe out, and it seems like it makes the steering heavier and less twitchy, also seems very responsive when you turn the bars. personally i like it

I think I remember it was Doug Gust? that ran a little toe out as well?