PDA

View Full Version : Video of some mx practice (lots of whoops)

Rootar
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb2jy0lKf6A

just like the title says lots of whoops, they were real nasty.

what do yall think? i dont think its possible to go much faster than i was. the video doesnt do them justice even the bikes were going around them that day they were in really bad shape.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
u can really tell a difference who has aftermarket suspension lol

BlaineKaiser450
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
looks like a pretty fun track

fandl450r
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Looks pretty good, my only suggestion would be to try to keep the front end up more, and hit them in a higher gear. The more you stay on top, the faster you can skim.

Rootar
02-11-2008, 01:11 PM
what are you talking about who has aftermarket suspension? we are ALL on FULLY built bikes all with aftermarket suspension (me and barton running axis, zeb and mitch running elkas) Zeb built my axis shocks and i LOVE them even when i would get really bad out of shape they wouldnt buck me or make it feel out of control.

fandl450r

i was hitting them in 2nd gear pinned ans so was everyone else 3rd gear would be suicide because the first whoop isnt setup to just put you on top of the whoops itll let you jump to the 4-5th whoop if you hit it any faster than mid second, maybe i can talk the guy that works the track into knocking it down a little and then id be all for going in them in 3rd gear. Im not arguing that its not possible but you would hit the whoops till the 5th one and you have to land perfect to stay on top after jumping in that far.:ermm: maybe i could go up a couple teeth in the rear and then hit them in low third and pick up speed better as i come through them....:confused:

XXXRACER165
02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
:rolleyes: Most of you guys have your rear compression way to soft thats why there kicking you up at the end. And yes it looks like suicide but once you come around that corner NAIL IT! AND DON'T LET OFF! It's all riding style, I can hit the nastiest whoops 5th gear pinned on my EX and come out on top of them like they were not even there. I rode on a track too where there was a jump right before the whoops and I hit that jump so hard, didn't let off and kept my front end up. I jumped right over, cleared all the whoops, mastered them 1st try and going on my 100th+ try still have not biffed it yet. You CAN do the same!

02-11-2008, 03:22 PM
i wouldnt call those whoops. They are more like a death sentence lol. I cant stand whoops that big it makes riding sucky.

ALAMX37
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
The CRF handled them the best, you can see the geometry at work. Man that KFX looked like it really didn't like the whoops.
Sweet vid.

416exfreak
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i wouldnt call those whoops. They are more like a death sentence lol. I cant stand whoops that big it makes riding sucky.

Yes, but riding nasty whoops like that helps you increase your skill and helps you become a more confident rider.;)

02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
sorry bout the previous post, i hate loud mouth kids.

^^ any way yeah they were pretty bad on my bike my 2nd was to short and 3rd was to long so i just had to bang out in 2nd threw them which caused my nose to dip pretty low, but 3rd was even worse because you couldnt go very fast coming into them because the first whoop had a lip on it.

XXXRACER165
02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by z400rider08
sorry bout the previous post, i hate loud mouth kids.

Dude I'm not a loud mouth, It's true. And I'm not a kid I'm 20 soon to be 21.

02-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Dude I'm not a loud mouth, It's true. And I'm not a kid I'm 20 soon to be 21.

yeah your right maybe well all catch on one day, and be as fast as you threw those whoop-dee-do's and "master them our first try" i guess until then well continue to run B-A

lorenjr83
02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
i can hit the first whoop and clear the whole track and then land back at the first whoop ready to do it over again. just like im on a jet plane going around the track.....yeah i got wings!

anyway that track looks sick. i wish i there was something around here like that. closest thing we will see around here is the track they are going to build at the county fair this year....

XXXRACER165
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
OK I over did it a little, but don't go further and provoke me please.

Nick110
02-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
OK I over did it a little, but don't go further and provoke me please.

I dont want to start a fight here and get Rooters thread closed. Buy you sir are a complete deuche.

Nice riding guys keep up the good work.

fandl450r
02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Rootar

fandl450r

i was hitting them in 2nd gear pinned ans so was everyone else 3rd gear would be suicide because the first whoop isnt setup to just put you on top of the whoops itll let you jump to the 4-5th whoop if you hit it any faster than mid second, maybe i can talk the guy that works the track into knocking it down a little and then id be all for going in them in 3rd gear. Im not arguing that its not possible but you would hit the whoops till the 5th one and you have to land perfect to stay on top after jumping in that far.:ermm: maybe i could go up a couple teeth in the rear and then hit them in low third and pick up speed better as i come through them....:confused:

Yea it's hard to tell what the face of the first one looks like from the video. Just from personal experience I like being in a higher gear and having some more gas to give in case I get into trouble. I guess I just pin it and hope everything works out :p . But you guys are doing fine imo but never hurts to ask to maybe knock the first one down some, because a lot of the time hitting them faster is a lot smoother then slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKEinh4pE4Q

That's me this past summer, but I usually hit whoops in a higher gear for the shear fact that having a little more top end, actually makes the ride a little smoother.

-Fandl-

416exfreak
I agree with Nick. Good Job and nice quads.

I envied your old 416 Ross. I loved that thing.:(

Pipeless416
Originally posted by Nick110
I dont want to start a fight here and get Rooters thread closed. Buy you sir are a complete deuche.

Nice riding guys keep up the good work.

lol.. x2 for both statements.. rootar, what can i buy next? haha

02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Yea it's hard to tell what the face of the first one looks like from the video. Just from personal experience I like being in a higher gear and having some more gas to give in case I get into trouble. I guess I just pin it and hope everything works out :p . But you guys are doing fine imo but never hurts to ask to maybe knock the first one down some, because a lot of the time hitting them faster is a lot smoother then slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKEinh4pE4Q

That's me this past summer, but I usually hit whoops in a higher gear for the shear fact that having a little more top end, actually makes the ride a little smoother.

-Fandl-

yeah it looks like you could carry speed into those pretty good which helps out alot.

agreed a gear higher is always better on a section that you can carry your speed into, the whole reason this section is so bad is just the shear fact you have to pick your speed up from basicly nothing once you land. being in anything above 2nd bogs down to bad.

Rootar
02-11-2008, 08:12 PM
that looks like an awesome whoop section fandl450r, im very happy with how well my shocks work i cant explain how good a job zeb did, now he needs to get his ktm/raptor working like my crf.

oh and pipeless what you looking for i have two built quads in parts sitting here collecting dust ;) and 416 freak i have almost everysingle part off my old 416 except the motor (which i have two other 400ex motors still) im still running the frame, suspension, and everything on that yellow 416 now, ill bolt up the old plastics and put some new pics up maybe later this week

;) haha wait till yall see the whoop section im building on MY track;) i building them right from the plans DirtWerks uses to build all the SX whoops you see on TV:huh they are gonna be sick.

protraxrptr17
02-12-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm glad you didn't put all of my passes thru that section on there:D

Thank Kayley(sp?) for me. She did a good job on that.

In a couple weeks maybe I will have a no link on the back and maybe some 22" front shocks so it'll work better. After some studying on it I can see where I can really help the front with just a little bit of work. The bodies on my shocks are long enough. Just need to machine a couple new shafts, whoop out two lower a-arms and a new upper shock mount. The rear will be a pretty big job but it's gonna blow your mind when you see it work.

02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
I'm glad you didn't put all of my passes thru that section on there:D

Thank Kayley(sp?) for me. She did a good job on that.

In a couple weeks maybe I will have a no link on the back and maybe some 22" front shocks so it'll work better. After some studying on it I can see where I can really help the front with just a little bit of work. The bodies on my shocks are long enough. Just need to machine a couple new shafts, whoop out two lower a-arms and a new upper shock mount. The rear will be a pretty big job but it's gonna blow your mind when you see it work.

sounds sick man! we gonna ride this weekend?

protraxrptr17
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
S'pose to rain Saturday. I might be working on my bike, just depends on how creative I feel. I need to get it done and setup right before Oak Hill.

trxwannbe
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
haha put those whoops in every straightaway and in all the corners and on the launch and landing of every jump and you have a regular race day at southwick

Seano300ex
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
i think whoops are one of the funnest things u can do while riding. this one place i go riding u have to ride next to the train tracks for a while and its all whooped out to the max. i think riding whoops all depends on what ur riding too because i used to dread riding thru whoops on my 300, but now on my 450r its soooo much nicer!

jesseweaver
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
if you think thats bad, you should see the whoops at rocket raceway. they are all 2.5-3 ft tall and about 8-10 ft apart. and theyre steep too, your skidplates are scraping when you roll over them. and they gotta be around 200 ft long. and theyre uphill, that makes it even worse.

trxwannbe
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
if you think thats bad, you should see the whoops at rocket raceway. they are all 2.5-3 ft tall and about 8-10 ft apart. and theyre steep too, your skidplates are scraping when you roll over them. and they gotta be around 200 ft long. and theyre uphill, that makes it even worse.

thats kind of what its like at all of southwick except instead of just skids scraping you will get stuck with a skid on and some people do even with out and these are all just from the racing that went on that day. by the time second motos roll around the dips there are big enough to swallow your whole quad

Rootar
02-12-2008, 08:13 PM
i love big whoops like at oakhill and nocona ( some are 4 feet deep and 15 feet apart, thats big) those whoops in the video arent big, they just have no rythem and are crooked and not all the same height, lol

hey zeb ill bring you all the stuff next time we ride.

02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
you guys all suck at riding, and your bikes look like crap, and you should never ride again, because you make all of us pro quad fmxers look bad

Rootar
02-13-2008, 05:55 AM
:confused: thats random

440challenger
02-13-2008, 06:34 AM
That RAPTOR sounded NASTY

bens250ex
02-13-2008, 07:15 AM
where in arkansas is this track? im located by memphis tn .

ALAMX37
02-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Doug Hansing
you guys all suck at riding, and your bikes look like crap, and you should never ride again, because you make all of us pro quad fmxers look bad

WTF the only thing you are pro at is being a douchebag. Now that I got my CRF instead of my old YFZ whoops are my favorite part of the track now. Those look like some arenacross whoops.

mikeB
02-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Sick track..

Looks like those woops are harder than they look

protraxrptr17
02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
That RAPTOR sounded NASTY

:D Five and a quarter

I think Doug Hansing was just joking.

The track is off I-40 at Mayflower. It's called Highway 89 raceway. I think they have a website.

mitch-#4yfz
02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
hey ross i like the video...glad you didnt put all my passes through the whoops...that day at the track was a blast we will definately have to hit it up again one weekend

ECATV Raptor
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
What kind of Elkas are on the Raptor?

02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Speed is much better over whoops unless you get in a situation where you fall. I was pegging it in 4th on my 400ex stock suspension mind you and it felt good then I saw huge whoops ahead I had 2 choices: 1)slow down and get bucked off...nope 2)squeeze your buns and give it more gas haha.

protraxrptr17
02-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ECATV Raptor
What kind of Elkas are on the Raptor?

They are just compression adjustable on the front. I bought them back before the Elites came out. I am always revalving and modifying them, so I guess they are my own design. All them knobs are mostly a gimmick. :chinese:

02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
They are just compression adjustable on the front. I bought them back before the Elites came out. I am always revalving and modifying them, so I guess they are my own design. All them knobs are mostly a gimmick. :chinese:

hahah i dont think any shock on earth has been poped open as many times as those elkas have. :D

woodsracer144
08-23-2008, 09:06 AM
what is in the quad with teh raptor plastic on it? its got a kicker on it

08-23-2008, 10:00 AM
looks fun. I think the whoops would be much better hitting them faster. It may seem like suicide but if you can lean all the way back and once you hit the 1st pull back and have it pinned. I have hit sections of whoops I was almost sure I was going to die. I was in 4th gear on my 400ex cruising over the whoops and I see just ahead whoops that were easily small doubles lol. I had 2 options slow down and flip being bucked off or pin it and hold on. I had a bad feeling in my stomach a nervous feeling but I pinned it and flew across these things like it was nothing. The faster you go the better the whoops are. I have hit whoops 5th gear pinned, obviously they werent as big as those whoops. Living in Florida you become the whoops master lol. The place I ride about 70% of my riding is over whoops all day for miles whoops. Its fun because its a challenege but sometimes you are just so sick of them you dont want to ride. There are days when its flat too, after it rains good the sand flattens out. If you have ever gone to the beach and dug a hole and filled it with water it will start to even out and fill in, same thing happens to the whoops and bumps.

extremeblastr
08-23-2008, 10:38 AM
and then everybody realizes how old this thread really is

08-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
and then everybody realizes how old this thread really is

lol who digs up this kind of stuff?

extremeblastr
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
god only knows but they certainly do need a life:rolleyes:

mat1977
08-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by trxwannbe
haha put those whoops in every straightaway and in all the corners and on the launch and landing of every jump and you have a regular race day at southwick lol, I love that track.Anyone going Sunday?

jesseweaver
08-23-2008, 09:52 PM
looks fun. I think the whoops would be much better hitting them faster. It may seem like suicide but if you can lean all the way back and once you hit the 1st pull back and have it pinned. I have hit sections of whoops I was almost sure I was going to die. I was in 4th gear on my 400ex cruising over the whoops and I see just ahead whoops that were easily small doubles lol. I had 2 options slow down and flip being bucked off or pin it and hold on. I had a bad feeling in my stomach a nervous feeling but I pinned it and flew across these things like it was nothing. The faster you go the better the whoops are. I have hit whoops 5th gear pinned, obviously they werent as big as those whoops. Living in Florida you become the whoops master lol. The place I ride about 70% of my riding is over whoops all day for miles whoops. Its fun because its a challenege but sometimes you are just so sick of them you dont want to ride. There are days when its flat too, after it rains good the sand flattens out. If you have ever gone to the beach and dug a hole and filled it with water it will start to even out and fill in, same thing happens to the whoops and bumps.

what are we considering "whoops" here? there no way your blitzing whoops in 5th pinned. thats probably over 65mph:huh

justin1022
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
how do you guys do that?!!! i have a set and i hit them 4th once and i bucked and wrote off a set of handle bars. now i only ride them in 1st or 2nd the big ones anyway the small ones i can skim.

08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
what are we considering "whoops" here? there no way your blitzing whoops in 5th pinned. thats probably over 65mph:huh

consider whoops a series of bumps/mounds in lines. 5th gear pinned over whoops is very possible it all depends on the size and who is crazy enough to do it. The only thing I have broken doing that is my plastics because the whoops changed direction slightly and my knee bashed into the side cracking them.

08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
how do you guys do that?!!! i have a set and i hit them 4th once and i bucked and wrote off a set of handle bars. now i only ride them in 1st or 2nd the big ones anyway the small ones i can skim.

depends also on your suspension setup. it can pack up if the rebound is too slow

justin1022
08-24-2008, 04:00 PM
mine are stock so they kick u up just as fast as the go down lol

08-24-2008, 04:33 PM
the stock 400ex rear is adjustable and rides very nice when tuned for what you do. Night and day difference just by making a few turns with a screw drivers and adjusting the preload a bit. Of course its not up to par with aftermarket or rebuilt shocks but stock 400ex rear will do a lot when you work with it

Warnerade
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
people who say you can hit all whoops 5th gear pinned...you need to go teach all the pros how to ride whoops then...

those whoops look sick and i'd love to go hit em, but theres no way your skimming them...

go to the track, setup a camera and try it...then send the video to break.com so you can get made fun of by over a million people for failling.

justin1022
08-24-2008, 04:57 PM
i tryed 4th once and rolled lol that was on big ones now i go 2nd on small ones though i can skim them and btw wtf is break.com?

Warnerade
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
www.break.com

you'll laugh your *** off...

its full of people with the mindset the same as the ones saying its possible to skim every set of whoops...except the only difference is the people on that site have the balls to actually try the dumb ideas they come up with.

Nick110
08-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
www.break.com

you'll laugh your *** off...

its full of people with the mindset the same as the ones syaing its possible to skim every set of whoops...excpt the onyl difference is the people on that site have the balls to actually try the dumb ideas they come up with.

Haha exactly. Half the people saying that they skim whoops 5th tapped have probably never even ridden a motocross track.

Warnerade
08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
wow I mis-spelled a lot of words in that post lmao...thank god for the edit button

justin1022
08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
haha yea i have been sitting on that site for a wile now. i love it haha its so funny how many chicks try webcam shows and thre dads or mom walk in on them haha

woodsracer144
08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah i dont think you could skip them...

and i thought the same thing the first time i went ot my buddys SX track... i had my pit bike and its been a while since i was there but i could do it all on my quad... i could nt skip the whoops only went on the like 2 times but i thought i would take the pit bike out there and do a little testing with it before i go race it...(new to the pit bike deal) any way... theres no way in hell i was gonna double, or skip or land half way acrost the next one.
and theres not a chance in hell i could clean any of this small jumps(there like 10 foot gaps on the small step on step offs and the woops area bout 5 foot gaps...)

it was a rough ride.