PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

tdmopar59
02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Well i am looking to add some power to my 2006 400ex... i figured the first thing i will do is an intake... but then i came across this kit on ebay...

http://tinyurl.com/29dam3

I was thinking about getting it... i was wondering if that little exhaust insert would do anything though... eventually when i get some money put aside for it i want to upgrade the exhaust too... but this looked like a nice little kit for the money....

What do ya'll think?? THANKS!

boosted3g
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
The exhaust peice looks nice if you have to stay quiet but me personally i dont care for k&n or dynojets. I like the foam filters like UNI, i noticed that with the k&n it does let a little dirt through and cost more. There is nothing wrong with dynojets i just like Keihin because they are easier to obtain from local dealers when your in a pinch. They include a needle in the kit though that is nice, i think the diameter and length are the same as stock but the taper is different.

exrider49
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
well i would price each item separately and see if you can get all the stuff cheaper somewhere else...as far as the exhaust insert i doubt it would make a difference it would be like taking the baffle out, cutting the baffle off the end cap and sticking the end cap on. i would buy a air filter and jet kit separately and just take the baffle out until you can afford an after market exhaust

exrider49
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
i would get the uni because of price difference between the uni and k&n

Pipeless416
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
personally, i would take the money that you would have to pay for that and find a nice used slip on and then get a few main jets ranging from 152-158k and a 42 pilot jet from c&d racing. for the filter, thats up to you. a k&n will squeak a little bit more power out of your engine, but you need to keep up with maintaining it, otherwise like everybody says, it will let dirt through. i have been running a k&n with no lid for years and i have yet to see any adverse effects, but i also clean it religiously. oh, and those exhaust inserts won't help power.. they'll just make your exhaust tone sound like you're engine is taking a crap after being constipated for a week.

tdmopar59
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
lol i will look into those jets... i have been talkin to my buddy... we will prolly just clean the filters after every ride.... i want one of those waterproof gaurds though... mainly because of where we ride...

Pipeless416
02-11-2008, 11:14 AM
just some advice, if you're running in really wet areas or even through water crossings, your best bet is just leaving the air box cover on. the outerwears repel water, but should not be used as a waterproofing method. leaving the lid on combined with an outerwears cover would give me a little better peace of mind if i were always riding in really wet conditions.

tdmopar59
02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
so would you still see an improvement even with the stock air box on??? its not too often that we go through water but we have plenty of puddles... and a few minor crossings.....

Pipeless416
02-11-2008, 11:23 AM
with a pipe, yes you will still see an improvement, provided it is jetted correctly. for maximum safety and power, look into EHS Racing air box lids and an outerwears cover. the ehs lids have an outerwears built into them, so essentially you'd be running two outerwears. i think you'll like the idea of that until you see the price tag of the lids. thats why i think you should start a project and make an outerwears lid yourself :) . its a fairly easy and effective mod that will save you a lot of cash.

tdmopar59
02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
hmm... i could prolly make one myself... i just need to know what materials ya'll use for the screen part...

Pipeless416
02-11-2008, 11:29 AM
ehs sells pre cut outerwears material. all you need to do is cut a hole in your lid, and figure out a way to attach it. if you go to their website, you can get the material for $15.

tdmopar59
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
so how "water repellent" do you think these outerwears are??

Pipeless416
02-11-2008, 11:40 AM
they completely repel water drops, spray, etc. they just cant be submerged in water lol. my brother has an EHS lid, and an outerwears cover on his k&n. it sure does a good job. mud definitely won't be an issue with that setup.

tdmopar59
02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
i think that outerwear should do the trick... i keep thinkin about it and the deepest we got was only for a couple seconds

440challenger
02-12-2008, 05:26 AM
waste of money. get an hmf slip on , uni filter, and dyno jet kit.

works great...installed over 20 of them and they all seem to run real well...

As far as air filter outerwares. outwares makes a cover that you velcro on .(replaces the lid) You can leave you air box lid off for more power and still ahve the water and dust protection beacuse it covers the whole box. its like 20 bucks

tdmopar59
02-12-2008, 07:33 AM
so are these foam filters better performing than k&n??? or is it because you have to constantly maintain the k&n to keep it cleaning....??

Pipeless416
02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
performance as in power or dirt trapping? the only thing you'll really notice is possibly snappier throttle response with the k&n. like i said, you'll have to stay on top of keeping it clean or else it will pass more dirt than a foam filter. also, those velcro covers are a waste of money. if you want a filtering cover, the ehs style is the only way to do it.

Hondamaster5505
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Those people RIP YOU OFF!:grr:

It's already been proven removing the baffle from the tip does nothing. I've done it myself, and it just sounds like a baby farting underwater. No gains whatsoever.

They try to scam you in saying it gains power, but really all it does is make it sound stupid and obnoxious, while adding some shine maybe.

Heres why it gains NO power from the tip.
The way the inner walls are designed, it doesn't gain any power, and the extra noise is from the "echo" chamber at the end of the pipe.

tdmopar59
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
okay... so that kit is a no go..... what do ya'll think i should do as far as my intake... i am on a budget to some extent... just bought the quad.... so what do ya'll think for a good performance intake... and i will maintain whatever filter i get...

mat1977
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 440challenger
[B]waste of money. get an hmf slip on , uni filter, and dyno jet kit.... x2