PDA

View Full Version : Ran the new Prox today!

kiesta00
02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey guys I ran my new topend today, ESR 310 with trx9 porting, its not ported right for the stroke but it still ran pretty strong. I'd pulled hard on one guy with a built yfz450 on alky.

Quick question...the carb isn't tuned just right for the methanol, but it still runs good except for when I get into 4th gear the bike falls on its face (power just goes away). Am I running the bowl dry? I have a pingle high flow valve on it, I may need to put a pump on it? Whats your thoughts?

I can't wait to get this beast ported for the stroker setup!!!

C-LEIGH RACING
02-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Yes, you need to get a fuel pump before you lock the engine up from running it lean.
Neil

86 Quad R
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
are you running an extra capacity bowl on the carb? that and a fuel pump will do good.

garrettagr
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
a little off topic, but how do you set up al alky or methanol? I am thinking of going this route, only thinking, and am curious as to how it is set up. I have a buddy who is familiar with tuning and what not but still not sure if i want to go that route. I just want some other opinions. thanks

86 Quad R
02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
what type of riding do ya do mostly?

garrettagr
02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
mostly duning or just play riding. Not much of a drag racer.

86 Quad R
02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
FWIIW alky can be a sensative lil beast to deal with. very sensative to temp, humidity and elevation changes and requires the jetting to be right at twice the size of running pump or race fuel.

imo if your not running the quad competively in a race environment i wouldnt use it. and if you choose to, it would be best that you purchase a carb that is already setup for alky. juss my .02 :cool:

kiesta00
02-11-2008, 04:38 PM
One of the reasons I went to alcohol is for the power increase and its cheaper than race gas @ $10.50/gal. Sure you burn twice as much, but meth is $3.00/gal over here.

Its a pain to tune, and you gotta purge the bike everytime you save it, so the power increase might not be that important to you as compared to a drag racer.

Are you running pump gas or race gas?

garrettagr
02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
im running race gas at the moment. I have already talked to dennis packard and he really steered me away from alcohol. and i ordered a 44mm lectron from him set up for race fuel. thanks for all the help guys