PDA

View Full Version : raptor 660 snapped a BRAND NEW CAM???

CSR400EX
02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
this is for a buddy, but i did all the work. i just installed a stage 2 cam, heavy duty springs reccommended for the stage 2 cam, replaced 4th/2nd gear (the slider on the counter shaft), shift forks. hasnt had but maybe 2 hours on everything, and he was riding the other day, and the seal behind the front sprocket was blowing out oil, so he put some more in it to get it back to his truck, started back to the truck and it started losing power, and clank it shut off. he took it apart and the cam is broke right behind the flange, and it broke a rocker arm too. could the rocker break, then cause the cam to as well. please help a fellow 4 stroker before he goes back to a banshee lol

400exrider707
02-11-2008, 05:39 AM
How do the valves look on it? Are any of them bent? It's possible it was a defective cam, but I'm guessing something else caused this. To me from what you say, it sounds like the rocker arm broke first (loss of power) because it was still running but not good, which indicates to me that some valves were opening but probably not all, then the cam broke because of the loose rocker arm. Just a guess, and we will probably never know what actually happened. I would tear the motor apart a little farther and see what the valves look like.