PDA

View Full Version : 250R Bogging Problem??

MX26
11-17-2002, 03:24 PM
I was riding my R thursday afternoon, when I thought it ran out of gas. It started sputtering then died, like it always does when it runs out of gas. I filled it up again today, cranked it, and let it warm up for about 4 minutes at an idle. Here's where the problem starts:

Thursday it was running VERY hard. I think it was running better than it ever has before. I had been riding it Wednesday with the airbox lid on(forgot to take it off) and I took it off before Thursdays ride. I'd say I rode for 20 minutes, 2nd-4th on a really tight turn track. I was riding it back up to the house when it died. Now, I have the lid off, and new gas(93 octane, Klotz 32:1). I went out today to crank it and warm it up.. Everything was fine, but it seemed like it was idling a bit high. After around 4 minutes of warming up, I popped it down into 1st and started to take off. Around 1/2 throttle and higher it started bogging so bad it died. I cranked it again, and it did the same thing. I then turned the choke on, and rode it around for about a minute with the choke on. It would run good up to 1/2 throttle and higher, then bog out and die. I then changed the spark plug(NGK B8ES), and tried it again. Same problem. I thought since it was running with the lid, I'd put it on and try it. Same outcome.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? This motor has maybe 45 minutes to an hour on it.

hardcoreclown33
11-17-2002, 03:45 PM
pull the carb off and clean it with gass or carb clean

nakomis0
11-17-2002, 04:09 PM
no clue, cdi maybe...

300exazzkikr
11-17-2002, 08:28 PM
I'd clean out the carb really well..It sounds like the choke is stuck for some reason. I would definitely pull it off and clean it. Pull the bowl off and clean all the garbage out of there. I use carb spray..Spray it through every hole...everywhere...it's good stuff. Good luck. Tell us how it turns out.

11-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Maybe if you did not spray ur air filter with filter foam it sucked in dirt and that couses a big lose of power, and also the air filter or carb could of slid of a bit and sucked up soem dirt or dust or suttin, if not maybe you need some new rings or even your crank bearings could be shot?? prolly not the crank bearing becuase it moves good till 1/2 throttle. Take your tope nd off and put gas down in the crank and let it set for a 5 minutes and then move the crnak around and lip ur quad upside downa dn you will prolly see dirt coming outta it, I had same problem, I sucked up dirt and the power was gone form 1/2 throttle to full

Lil90man!!
11-17-2002, 09:51 PM
i know this pry sounds kinda dumb but is a 30 sec check, try checking the vent hose on the gas cap cuz i know it'll do the same thing if clogged up? i dunno just a quick check

MX26
11-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Eh, I guess I could fill you guys in. Thanks for all your replies. I should've looked before I spouted off.

I guess during Thursdays ride my clip broke. My needle was stuck closed, so when I opened the throttle it was sucking nothing but air.

beerock
11-18-2002, 01:35 PM
well, Thats weird cuz usually a bike with a broken needle clip will only idle. once you crack the throttle they die.

heh thats strange.

glad you found out what was wrong.

MX26
11-18-2002, 01:52 PM
I sure wish I remembered what notch the clip was in.

What do you guys think? TX(not sure on the elevation), 175 main, FMF pipe, UNI filter, port work, 38mm carb

beerock
11-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MX26
I sure wish I remembered what notch the clip was in.

What do you guys think? TX(not sure on the elevation), 175 main, FMF pipe, UNI filter, port work, 38mm carb

theres no way to tell.

just put it in the middle and go from there, unless you can look at the needle and figure out where the clip use to be.

Bean
11-18-2002, 03:56 PM
i hav pretty much the same stuff cept my main is alot richer, try it in the middle first, or one notch richer than the middle, btw, i snapped my needle off as well, and it ran till about 3/4 almost, ran really good till then, then it acted like the carb was on and died, fixed that real fast

ESR250R
11-18-2002, 07:11 PM
a few months ago i took mine for a ride without the airbox lid and it did the same thing. i went threw everything from reeds to spark and everything was fine. later i found out the piston chipped and it would run because of this.

result

11-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Go to a 4, your quad looks like it would settle good at a 4, make sure by checking for any bogging to get into the top end if so drop to a 3, like um.. it takes a longer time to get into powerband than usual if so go to the 3 notch,

beerock
11-18-2002, 08:56 PM
dont listen to them, start IN THE MIDDLE. and play with it from there.
if the motor is new you cant just think its gonna run the same as the old bore. run the clip in the middle and go from there.....

11-18-2002, 09:01 PM
Yea, true but you dont wanan strip the bolt or anything cuz it can be a pain changing the needle up one, also go to where ur last one was, where was that?? Whewrever put it there and you should be fine cuz u were riding there b4

Bean
11-18-2002, 11:10 PM
well, it should be easy to find where u were, each needle has around 6 threads I THINK, if there are 4 threads on the large part of the needle stuck in the main jet, then u were on the 2nd groove, very simple to do