PDA

View Full Version : Steering/front end question

rigger
02-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Ok, I need to figure out if this problem is front end related, stock tires, track or just me.

Not to long ago, I replaced steering stem, bars and tie rods.
Lined everything back up with just a touch of toe in, at least I think I got a little toe in. I never could come up with a really good way to measure out the front end.

Here is the ride problem.

Rode Durhamtown yesterday, first time I have been there, second time I have ridden the atv since I did the front end.

On the hard clay berms, the quad felt like it wanted to run up the berm and not steer through it and go where I pointed. Where I am locally, the gound is soft sand and I noticed no problems.

I grew up on bikes not atv's so I am not sure if this is a normal front end feeling on a hard clay track, tire related, atv set up problem or lack of me being used to a quad.

Just for your info, the quad is a 04' 400EX. Light motor mods, stock a-arms, suspension and frame. Stock tires with 95% tread left at 4.5 psi in the front and 4 psi in the rear.

Thanks for the input guys.

drew416ex
02-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Tires have a lot to do with it. Stock tires flex quite a bit. I would try running a little more air pressure in the rear so they can break loose a little easier. Maybe 6-8 psi. Also, this is just how i ride, but when you get into the turn, let off the gas a little. This will let the front end bit and the rear will start to come around. When the rear starts to come around, gas it and you should get through the turn pretty quickly and go the direction you want.

rigger
02-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't know why I never thought of this before, but I just took two straight edges and straped them to the front wheels so they pulled against the rim. That allowed me to pull an acurate measurement ffrom the front and back of the rim. Turns out that I have then towed out by over a 1/2". At least now I know for sure I did not have my tow set correctly.

Now knowing that, do you guys think that would cause the steering feeling that I describied above.

Thanks.

02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Tires have a lot to do with it. Stock tires flex quite a bit. I would try running a little more air pressure in the rear so they can break loose a little easier. Maybe 6-8 psi. Also, this is just how i ride, but when you get into the turn, let off the gas a little. This will let the front end bit and the rear will start to come around. When the rear starts to come around, gas it and you should get through the turn pretty quickly and go the direction you want.

Yeah tire pressure is a huge key in handling. I run 5PSI in the rear and 6PSI in the front and I mostly ride sand. 1 day I pumped my rear up to 6PSI and I hated it. It was great for donuts but traction wow I had none. I was doing about 55MPH flying through this straight trail and there was a big flat turn obviously you slide around the whole turn and with 6PSI in the rear I went so sideways I felt the quad tip and I had no control in the turns. I went back to 5PSI and I had no problems what so ever. No when i'm on harder packed clay stuff 5PSi grips so much you turn idling and you feel roll. When I had the 6PSI in the rear on clay I slid perfectly and I had so much control. For soft stuff I say less PSI for harder stuff more PSI. Front you have to change according to conditions too. If its not right you slide the front and what not when braking which isnt good.

drew416ex
02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
It will turn a little better with toe in. Play around with air pressure too and see what works best

BossHogg420
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
yea out at Durhamtown I always run about 7/6 or 8/7 F/R and the damn thing turns on a dime!