PDA

View Full Version : Power Difference....

klutch
02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
So yeah... My dad finally let me get rid of my 300ex to move onto a 400ex or a 450r.... I am 15 and ride the crap out of the 300.... now i am only worried about the feel of the next bike i get... how long will it take for me to get comfortable with the 450R? I am leaning more towards the 450R because i ride alot of wide open trails... How long will it take for me to get used to the power difference or should i just get the 400ex?

thrasher_ex
02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
IMO, i'd put you on a 400. True 450s eat trails up like no other, but they're made for racing. A 400's power is easy to handle and adapt to, and will probably do anything you need it to that you would on a 450. And, if you ever get bored with the 400, there's always the 440 kit :devil:

02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Get the 450R. You will be bored with the 400EX very quickly and wish you would have gotten the R.

klutch
02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Thats exactlt how i felt when i got my 300 rode it once wanted more power...

d3ktrix
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
450 all the way.
I bought a brand new 05 400ex for my FIRST quad. I grew out of it in 2 weeks and wanted more power/better suspension. Traded it in 2 weeks after that for an 05 450r.
The 400ex engine stock is like a lawn mower engine compared to the 450r.

Its just an all around better quad to begin with. Especially if your riding area is open/fast.

Now my semi worked 450r engine isn't enough. lol

You should be able to find a hardly used 04-05 450r for around or less then $3,000.

klutch
02-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I already found an 04 450R with Houser +2 Arms, Durablue +4 Axle, Elka front shocks, nerf bars, tag handle bars, though it is a completely stock engine no pipe, oh it has beadlocks with holeshots all around i am picking it up for 3500 most likely

d3ktrix
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a win!

klutch
02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah thats how i feel about it. It is either this or a nicely modded 400ex. So i am still making my desicion while still leaning towards the 450r

BlaineKaiser450
02-09-2008, 09:36 PM
DEFINATLY 450r! i used to ride a 250x and switched to a 450r and i was AMAZED at the power. But for trails, my dad rides the 450 and i ride the 250x because its much more comfortable.

klutch
02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh the trails i ride are normally fairly wide open, still a fair ammount of mud... though it is avoidable. Sometimes i ride tighter trails.... and i do very little MX i sometimes ride my dad's 400ex but thats rarely it is his so i like to let him ride it so i have never truly gotten used to such a powerful bike... and i have never ridden a 450r but i am a honda man and have heard great things about it

bloodmoney23
02-09-2008, 11:44 PM
do the 450r.....at least there is no way youll grow out of the 450r.

Draven
02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Can't go wrong with a 450r man so save the money and get the 450 and not waste time by getting 400 then wanting the R :P

400exrider707
02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
My question to you is, how much maintenance do you want to do? Though both require standard maintenance, the 450 is going to need more attention. It is a race quad, and should be treated as so. You will be replacing motor parts more frequently. A 400ex is bulletproof and will outlast a 450R no problem. JMO.

klutch
02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I am fairly used to the maintnence and stuff the 450R will be put through some hardcore trails and maybe a bit of mud if i cant avoid it... my only worry is of how long it would take me to get used to the bike... mainly the way it rides and how i feel on it.

JimmyHoffa
02-10-2008, 02:56 PM
what 400exrider said... plus my personal experience:

I have owned every sport quad that Honda makes for more than a year each, and I view the 400ex as a wasted step in the process. Given the existence of the 450r, if you are truly wanting to advance in the sport, get one. Looking back on it all, that's what I would change about my progression. Also, I rode my kickstart 450 in excessively technical trails, bone stock, and have no problem. (Rider ability is key.) ...Then when it comes to the widened-out sections, I eat 400s like nobody's business.

(I don't mean anything bad against the 400ex. It's actually the only bike I sold that I didn't feel guilty selling. Not because of condition, but on every other bike I've sold, I mentally uttered "you're going to hate that in a month" when they drove away. 400ex's are capable machines, and can be made into even more capable and still reliable machines in the hands of a knowledgeable quad builder.)

klutch
02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Good to hear, choosing between the two has been a tough choice my 2 favorite ATVs... but i think i will be going with 450R for sure.

02-10-2008, 05:45 PM
i chose a 400ex over a 450r when I moved up from a 250ex and i dont regret it. My friend always had a 400ex and he decided he wanted a 450r for the power. He traded it in for a 400ex again not too long after having it. I asked "so why did you tade it for the 400 again?" His response, "well the 450 is fast and all but its not me. It was good for straights and going fast but it wasnt fun to ride around." the 450's are built to be raced and they beg to be raced. They arent so much play around bikes they just mean serious business. I look at it as if your going to do almost all MX go with the 450r because thats its home. If your going to ride mostly trails and play around get the 400ex. Sure you can modify 1 to do the other but the 450r's home is on the MX trac and the 400ex was built for the trails.

Draven
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I beg to differ though everyone has riding preferences and yes you are right about 450 being racing etc but at the moment i do nothing but trials, hill climbs and little track/racing and its great for all of it. Never have i had a problem with the 450r on trails or anything for that matter.

I will say this though, 400ex (ALL honda if you ask me) is one bad machine. My buddy had one before switching over to team blue(yamaha - has been nothing but problems to him) and he beat the piss out of it. I don't mean like did not take care of it but rode it on the limit every day all day for a few years and the beast still runs.

So i guess we can say go Honda and you won't regret it :] Just my opinion though as alot of people are fan boys of yami etc.

klutch
02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
idk i am a Honda man ride mostly wide open trails, and a bit of MX but i do like to mess around... Donuts, wheelies, roosts, just having fun while riding and like i said its mostly sawgrass fields.

02-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by klutch
idk i am a Honda man ride mostly wide open trails, and a bit of MX but i do like to mess around... Donuts, wheelies, roosts, just having fun while riding and like i said its mostly sawgrass fields.

Deffinately go with Honda and you wont regret it. But if you only ride a little bit of MX i would go with the 400ex. Its really comfortable for the trails and handles great. A few simple mods can make it a beast. The only other plans I really have for my 400ex are +1 a-arms, 450r front shocks, and razr rears. After that i dont need anything else. Sure i might eventually do more like all 3 shocks revalved/resprung and a stabilizer but the way it is now is pretty darn perfect for trails.

klutch
02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
The 400EX i was planning on getting was the one that Them450RBoyz had for sale on atvflorida the 1999 with the hot wheels graphics and i already have 450r shocks for it. But i dont know i truly like the wide stance of this 450r i found and i am truly still considering it. If i were to get the 400ex id put more cash into just to make it nice and wide wasting more cash than i would buying the 450 so i am not sure at this point.

Draven
02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
seems to me its gonna be one of those "damn i should bought that one" if you get what im saying haha. Just think it over, do some research and go from there.

Everyone has a different feel and i kinda have not answered your main question as to "how long will it take to adjust". Well, i went from a 250r 3 wheeler to a 300ex i used from my bro till i got a bike then i used cousins 400 kawi for a few months and i went and got a 450 and grew right into it. I am also 6'2 240 so that extra power the 450 puts out really helps for bigger guys. But don't get me wrong i know a kid whose 5'7 150ish and had a decked out banshee and got the 450 yami with cams and stuff and he does fine trails , mx you name it but good luck either way.

klutch
02-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Well i am 15, 5'11 or maybe a bit taller, and around 130-150lbs... I still want to be able to lean into a turn and slide the bike around with me... still want to be able to use my weight to throw it around a bit... i used my dad's 03 400ex every now and then which feels powerful but it doesnt feel comfortable to slide around and lean off of it. I figure even if i can't throw the 450R around its wide enough so hopefully i wont flip it too easy. And it has a more race style plastics and seat and better spots to "hug" around so i figure it would be better for me. and my trails are all mostly wide open saw grass fields, with mud here and there though it is avoidable.

BlaineKaiser450
02-10-2008, 08:23 PM
im 5"8 and 125-130 lbs and i can throw my 450r around fine. Even before all the mods i could fine

klutch
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
im 5"8 and 125-130 lbs and i can throw my 450r around fine. Even before all the mods i could fine

Reading this puts me leaning way more towards the 450R knowing that i can still throw it around.

JimmyHoffa
02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Some comments:

I don't know what the "throwing it around" thing is all about. A nice batteryless 450r weighs 25 pounds LESS than a 400ex. I feel every ounce in the air. So good.

Also, I have owned both a 450r and a 400ex, and I have never encountered a situation where I wanted my 400ex back. I ride everything. I bomb around at the track, do technical climbs/trails, ride swept-out trails, do some decent quad-hucking, and ride dunes. If you know how to take advantage of what's there, the 450 will dominate, hands down. If you can't ride your engine to its fullest potential/don't know your engine and how to use it, then sure, the R could be a nuisance to some. (In other words, if you don't know what gear you are supposed to be in sometimes or don't know how to slip a clutch effectively in a tight section, get the EX.)

I'm also way less sore after a day on the R as opposed to a day on the EX, and I get places faster than I did before. Almost like the suspension is better...

Benjithx
02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Go with the R!

02-11-2008, 07:27 AM
i have said it before and i will say it again...i have both in my garage right now...and i know how to ride...the 450r is def. more work in the trails. it can be done, but it is more work or money needs to be spent to lessen the work...if you get the 450r, you better be ready to run it at high rpms almost constantly on the trails...there is no slow riding without a lot of clutch work. the 400ex can be lugged around easily whereas the 450r cannot.

i moved from a 300ex to 400ex very easily, after about an hour on the 400ex, i was at home on it...then i had the rear shock revalved by gt thunder, along with his linkage, and put elka rec series shocks up front with a steering stabilzer...i was even more comfortable on it. i believe part of that was the ride height was lowered to about 8". the move from the 400ex to the 450r took me a lot longer. the 450r's ride height was stock at around 11" and that 3 " made a difference to me. the 450r had a steering stabilzer on it on day one adn i waited about a year to do any suspension work. although i was comfortable on the 450r, i was not nearly as comfortable or as fast as i was on the 400ex.

once i added aftermarket handle bars had and the stock suspension revalved along with an aftermarket linkage, effectively lowering the ride height, i finally became as if not more comfortable as the the 400ex.

look at it this way...you are not comfortable on your dads 400ex...why? it weighs less and is wider than your 300ex. to be honest with you, there is more of a power difference between the 300ex and the 400ex than there is the 400ex and the 450r. you'll do fine and adjust either way...but my favorite of the 2 in stock form is the 400ex...

throwing it around is not so much size and weight of the rider, but knowing how to use the front brake, throttle and clutch to break the rear tires loose...then the body language comes in play

klutch
02-11-2008, 08:54 AM
My 300EX is wider than my dad 400ex... I have my 300ex extended out to 47.5 inches wide... and the 400ex i get will only have 450r front shocks, the 450r is extended to around 49 inches with tag handle bars +2 plus 1 a arms and a plus 2 axle

klutch
02-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Also just as i have said soo many times... I ride very little MX maybe once or twice a month, and do wide open Sawgrass field style riding with a bit of mud though the mud i try to avoid. I do very little technical trails.

redexrider4290
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
heres my 2 cents. I have both bikes (well the 400 is my bro's but i have PLENTY of seat time on it) and the 450r is definately the way to go. The 450 makes the 400 feel like a turtle and the suspention is so much better. you said you do like open feild riding and open trails so i would def go with the R.

The 400 is not a bad bike it's just no 450. for your type of riding the r would def be better. If you were to say you rode tight trails alot then i would say def go with the 400 especially if you were gona get a newer one with reverse. The 450 isn't bad in open trails but if you are doing some slow technical stuff i would stay away from the R. It can be done it's just a pain to be constantly clutching and if you do stall haveing to kick(don't know if you would get the er or not).

trust me i took a riding trip to the mountains with my buddy's and i took the 450 and we started doing some of the "make your own trail" stuff and i tell you that was the only time i actually didn't want to be riding the R i had to CONSTANTLY be working the clutch ( Honestly i don't think i ever let it completely out) and when i came to a dead end i had to get off and push and the kick starting was a pain every time i stalled. :mad:

so if your doing mostly trails i would go with the 400 but from the sounds of wat you are doing i would go TRX all the way:D

blacknblue#2
02-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Heres my 2 cents i aint tellin you what to do you need to make your own decision but i have had it all, ive had 2 400EX's and as of right now ive had 4 450R's. If your 80% trails and 20% track i would say buy a 400EX. i have trail rode my 450Rs but i know how to ride a 450, they aint a quad anyone can jump on and fly through the woods on. My first 450 was an 05 and im not gonna hide the humiliating fact that i burnt the clutch out of it at 2 weeks old because i decided to make some new trails and i never could release the clutch all i could do was slip it. All my 400s were like a tank, let the clutch out and they would shove trees down and everything( haha ok maybe not trees but you know what i mean) Since ive got older im pretty much strictly MX but i do have an 04 that i bought just to trail ride with and its not stock its got some motor work with a real low gear to where you can lug it around, i got it geared to where it feels like a log truck with all the power and low gear.............so ill shut up now and basically say since youve never rode a 450 if you buy a 400 youll fall in love with it and never know what your missing

Hondabeefast
02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
I was in the same boat as you when i had a 300ex bone stock rode it for about 6 months and then i was bored with it and needed more power so i sold it and bought a 400ex put a 416 kit,cam,port & valves,pipe,jet,filter and rode that for a while, again even though my 400ex would haul *** and was an awesome bike i needed more power so i ended up trading it for a 450r, ive had it for awhile now and everytime i ride its seems to amaze me how much power it has but one thing is the 450 will take alot more getting used to then the 400.

MX MaNiAc 06
02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I went from a bayou 220 to a 400ex. 450rs were just coming out. I didnt think i could handle the power. Two weeks after i got my 400 my buddy got a 450r. I was ready for it! I was mad i didnt get the 450r. Deffinately go with the 450. You wont regret it.

REDRIDDER
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
My question to you is, how much maintenance do you want to do? Though both require standard maintenance, the 450 is going to need more attention. It is a race quad, and should be treated as so. You will be replacing motor parts more frequently. A 400ex is bulletproof and will outlast a 450R no problem. JMO. I'LL second that and as far as getting used to a quad, the more you ride the better you'll get no matter what quad your ridding.

klutch
02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys i think i will be going with the 450r but my new question is how can i make my gearing a little better and lower for trails with 22 razrs in the front and 20s in the back?

JimmyHoffa
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I run stock tires (20's) and gearing in the trails. I'd knock it down one tooth on the front, if you're concerned. You'll notice it on the top end, though.

Honestly, I'd say that I saw the biggest difference in manageability in the trails when I put a full system on. Apparently, there's a super-secret pile of torque that Honda doesn't want you to know about. Fortunately, HMF hooked me up.

klutch
02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JimmyHoffa
I run stock tires (20's) and gearing in the trails. I'd knock it down one tooth on the front, if you're concerned. You'll notice it on the top end, though.

Honestly, I'd say that I saw the biggest difference in manageability in the trails when I put a full system on. Apparently, there's a super-secret pile of torque that Honda doesn't want you to know about. Fortunately, HMF hooked me up.

Ok thankyou. Also, i was planning on going with a Ballance Edition HMF pipe though i probably wont have enough money for one lol

IMSROLL450R
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Going down 1 tooth in the front will make it a Torque MONSTER as well. Easier to lug around with loads of low end power.

Everytime you fly by someone in a straight away on a 400 you will wonder why the hell you ever contemplated getting one over the 450r. I too have both. No comparison I dont even want to ride the 400, just a spare bike for friends to ride.

klutch
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Going down 1 tooth in the front will make it a Torque MONSTER as well. Easier to lug around with loads of low end power.

Everytime you fly by someone in a straight away on a 400 you will wonder why the hell you ever contemplated getting one over the 450r. I too have both. No comparison I dont even want to ride the 400, just a spare bike for friends to ride.

Thank you even though the 450 i am buying is more set up for MX i plan on slowly making it an XC bike. I need and want the low end power and the torque so thanks for the advice