PDA

View Full Version : Best boots for ATVing?

infantry317
11-17-2002, 11:50 AM
I just starting riding again after about 15yrs (99-400ex). I'm doing mostly XC type riding and hill climbing/jumping, but also a little MX. Are the cheaper boots (Element, Ocelot) any good? Or is it worth it to bite the bullet and pay more? I have an old pair of Gaerne's but they're so stiff and have a few cracks. Any pro opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Scott

OutlawEX
11-17-2002, 12:22 PM
Well what i have seen through many riding times is you pay for what u get...In my opion nothing beats Alpine stars...But on the other hand i like fox because they give a full warranty on their riding appreal...But i have alpines and love them,I'd get fox but I have thor riding cloths and they dont go togather

Ex'r Marlin
11-17-2002, 01:36 PM
I guess it depends on how much you will be riding, and how hard you are on boots.

I first started with "work" boots, then with recommendations from fellow riders, I got motorcycle boots. I remember this one active rider using an O'Neal Element boot (years ago), and he recommended something better for the kind of riding we do... Mud, water, trees, rocks, etc.

I went with the Fox Forma boot... Very nice, thick, great protection. Last year I purchased my second pair... Alpinestars Tech 8's. Yeah, both boots are more expensive... But they are both doing me very well with all the rough stuff my fat butt throws at it... And crashes!:rolleyes:

Again, if you are going to find yourself doing alot of riding... Yes, bite the bullet.:macho

Porkchop
11-17-2002, 01:39 PM
i use the alpinestar m-4's, they are really good boot for the price, they have the all terrian sole too.

Honda2003
11-17-2002, 01:52 PM
i use O'Neals.

cjpoole1
11-17-2002, 02:44 PM
I would also say alpinestar mainly because almost every piece on the boot can be easily replaced. SIDI also seems to be an up and coming popular boot

Derek
11-17-2002, 03:01 PM
alpinestars!!!

11-17-2002, 08:53 PM
i have thor t 20s seem to be great for the price but a better boot is always good

QuadTrix6
11-18-2002, 11:52 AM
the thor t-20's are good for the price (about $110) but my alpinestars are 10x better, i say spend the extra money and be comfortable when you ride...just my .02

YardDog24
11-18-2002, 11:56 AM
I got a pair of Fly's this weekend.......what I cant stand is its a ***** to shift, Im used to getting my toe under the shifiter all the way not hooking the edge of the boot and trying to shift. The boots are just too big to do this. I ended up using my MT bike shoes......the wife had the same problem.

YLW400
11-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Once you get MX boots broke in Yarddog24, you will not want to ride without them. You have to loosen your shifter and adjust it accordingly. I have the Fox trackers, but they are falling apart, I am rough on em. The next boots I get will be Alpinstars

chavez
11-18-2002, 12:13 PM
alpinestars i love em like someone said the parts are replaceable oh one otherthing if you go to a good shop that knows what they are talking about you will find out that alpinestar makes alot of the other brand name boots

YardDog24
11-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
Once you get MX boots broke in Yarddog24, you will not want to ride without them. You have to loosen your shifter and adjust it accordingly. I have the Fox trackers, but they are falling apart, I am rough on em. The next boots I get will be Alpinstars

Hmm. Well I have to take your word on it. Ive always had complete gear except for the boots....So they break in and give more flexability? Since the wife is just learning to ride a sport machine she really needs to get a positive shift to get confidence and with the boots I just dont see it happening.......

Thanks for answering, sorry for *******izing the thread!

YLW400
11-18-2002, 12:27 PM
Yes, once you break them in they will get more flexible. But the only real thing to do to break them in, is to ride in them. Did you adjust your shifter up? I HAD to on my EX. I couldn't even get my foot underneath of it. But now that they are broke in, I love em.

YardDog24
11-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Nope, didnt adjust it. Ill do that tonight and see if it makes a difference. Thanks :)

Braff1
11-18-2002, 02:27 PM
I use MSR world tour with the atv sole. I like the sole on them, it is like wearing a pair of good work boots with good traction but has the protection of a mx boot.

cjpoole1
11-18-2002, 05:39 PM
This might sound stupid but if you get them good and wet when there new and ride in them, they will break in quicker

Sportrax10
11-18-2002, 06:29 PM
im 14 and have a 400ex, i use alpinestar tech- 6 and i love them... they are awsome! but ridding boots are better then sneakers so if cheaper ones are all you can get then go ahead and get them

T-R-X
11-18-2002, 08:39 PM
i use the Sidi's. The Srs flex force ones. It was those or tech 8's. I chose the Sidi's because there was more ankle support. I always miss the pegs for some dumb reason. Also the whole boot is replaceable.

Derek
11-18-2002, 09:02 PM
well if you got hte money, top of the line sidi are the best bet.

brazilian rider
11-19-2002, 05:52 AM
I have alpine stars tech 6 and I love it> They are good for everything. I have just one question, if they are better then the alpine stars Vector. Anyone knows wich one is better?Vector seems like a shoe and very weak

stocktires
11-19-2002, 07:10 AM
I bought Fox trackers (sp?) and I now regret it. There not comfortable at all and feel like bricks.
I'm gonna get some fox forma pro's or Alpine tech-6's. Thats what Id reccomend

lil400exman
11-19-2002, 10:50 AM
i like my thor t-20 a whole mess cheap and man they feel great just on the first day every time you stop tighten them up some more and more and y the end of the day they will be pretty much broke in!trust me they are that good!

Racing Rice
11-20-2002, 12:31 PM
I have a set of Ocelot boots.. They dont seem to bad (for the price), but they arent as nice as my Alpinestars were.

They are better then workboots though! Hopefully they last aslong as workboots do.. :D

Cole Trane
11-26-2002, 11:24 PM
I use MSR's, and they are great. I paid 150 for them, and they are pretty comfortable. I wear 2 pairs of socks though. I agree that Alpine Stars are the best, but I don't see the point in spending that kind of money for something that does the same thing as my 150 dollar boots. Just my opinion.

d-14 rider 27
12-02-2002, 09:42 PM
i had a pair of a-star m-4s when i was budget racing, but now i got a pair of vectors, and man what a great boot, they feel similar to the tech-6, but a lot more comfortable walking in them and they look like space boots, so maybe they make gravity less effective. hehe :D

infantry317
12-03-2002, 06:00 AM
I'd like to try the Alpinestars Vectors, any more opinions on them? Do they have as much ankle support?

YLW400
12-03-2002, 06:20 AM
I JUST tryed on a pair at the dealer here on Friday, and I like em' alot. The arch portion of the sole seems to be replaceable. The sole seems to be rather stiff, which in my mind is a good thing. So if and when you do case something it doesnt feel like the pegs are cutting your feet off..lol. I think Vectors will be my next boot. I want the black and grey. They are only 239.00 in RM ATV, I think